Rearview Camera Issue | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rearview Camera Issue

Although the Aviator isn't listed in the RVC recall, it seems to be affected as well as a few members have reported..

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not yet. So far, the issue only pops up randomly and I doubt that they could even replicate the issue at the current rate it shows up. However, during my next service-visit, it will be on my 'to do'-list.
Good luck. I'll keep folks updated on how mine works out.

My rear view camera was replaced under the recall a week ago now.
Didn't notice anything wrong with the old camera...until the new one was installed. Certainly much brighter and clearer.

My Aviator is back from the shop after issues I outlined above (screen going black, distorted screen image while camera was on). This was something like repair #3 for this issue. Earlier, the back-up cam was replaced. This time they found an SSM (49409) and reprogrammed the IPMB. They also found a TSB (20-2363) and an internal fault which led to a replacement of the APIM. (I confess this alphabet soup is way above my pay grade...). The good news is that the tech was able to replicate each issue so, hopefully, this means things are fixed. Time will tell.
/park

Just received the Recall 21C09 letter for the rearview camera issue in the mail. I haven't had any issues with my Aviator's camera but will call to schedule an appointment for the reprogramming of the Image Processing Module B (IPMB).

Peter

After my first dealer contact today for the recall, they called me back and left a message to contact them and to say no parts were required. I returned the call at 2:15 pm and had an appointment for 3 pm. Updated the software as per recall 21C09 and I was out of there just before 4 o'clock. I turned down the free car wash as it is supposed to rain all weekend. The service manager said I could drop in anytime for the wash.

Peter

I'm experiencing the same rear camera issue on my 2020 Explorer Platinum.
Same here but not included in recall. Was manufactured earlier than recall VINs. Dealer hasn't been able to fix. Any suggestions?

Same here but not included in recall. Was manufactured earlier than recall VINs. Dealer hasn't been able to fix. Any suggestions?
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
If the issue is the same then the repair is likely also the same whether it is part of the recall or not. If you read post #61 you will see mine wasn't included either but I did end up receiving the recall notice a couple weeks ago.

Peter

If you ask me, it wont be fully fixed until we receive a proper update for it. I started having issues after the 21020 Sync update was installed, before that, never had this issue.

Since then, ive received 2 small updates, possibly map updates? IDK but im still on map version NA 220, so not sure what those updates were for. However, ive only seen the infamous blue screen reverse issue once the past month or so. Before, it was pretty constant, the Expo is my DD. Also, read that if you barely tap on the brake pedal and reverse, the blue screen appears. Whatever the case is, im leaning to a software update to fix this issue.

If you ask me, it wont be fully fixed until we receive a proper update for it. I started having issues after the 21020 Sync update was installed, before that, never had this issue.

Since then, ive received 2 small updates, possibly map updates? IDK but im still on map version NA 220, so not sure what those updates were for. However, ive only seen the infamous blue screen reverse issue once the past month or so. Before, it was pretty constant, the Expo is my DD. Also, read that if you barely tap on the brake pedal and reverse, the blue screen appears. Whatever the case is, im leaning to a software update to fix this issue.
There have been no reports of rearview camera issues as a result of the Sync updates. The issue is likely with your camera/software. The latest update was for 21098. Sync 21098 OTA Available

Peter

Our 2020 Explorer ST has done this blue screen intermittently. We have brought it to our dealer and they haven’t been able to replicate the problem.

View attachment 177571
This has recently cropped up in my 2020 ST. If I shut the engine off and restart (reboot) the camera functions as designed. Are we running on Windows now?

This has recently cropped up in my 2020 ST. If I shut the engine off and restart (reboot) the camera functions as designed. Are we running on Windows now?
Is yours under recall for the camera by chance?

There have been no reports of rearview camera issues as a result of the Sync updates. The issue is likely with your camera/software. The latest update was for 21098. Sync 21098 OTA Available

Peter
The newest update is 21194. SYNC Build 21194 Is Released by Ford

Welcome to the Forum Rich. :wave:
You can also check your Ford account to see if there are any outstanding recalls for your vehicle. You should also update your Sync to the version mention by Dale in the above post.

Peter

Yep, I gotten the blue screen, just when you need the camera the most. I taken it in once for repair and it worked for a little bit. But it's back. The second visit in is coming up. Try turning the car off and restarting. That's worked for me several times.

Yep, I gotten the blue screen, just when you need the camera the most. I taken it in once for repair and it worked for a little bit. But it's back. The second visit in is coming up. Try turning the car off and restarting. That's worked for me several times.
If you are responding to Rich Martin, he already knows about turning the car OFF/ON as he mentioned it in his post. ;)

Pter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum Rich. :wave:
You can also check your Ford account to see if there are any outstanding recalls for your vehicle. You should also update your Sync to the version mention by Dale in the above post.

Peter
Thanks for the welcome, Peter. Updated my signature. I'll try to force a Sync update. This 2020 is kinda flaky. Twice the A/C has initiated at full heat on the front seat passenger side, only. Restart fixes it. Now and then the brakes don't engage after the emergency brake is released (inclined driveway.) Pump the brake once seems to fix it. I often get a message that the "Rear brake assist is unavailable - See manual." And, I think the field of vision in the rearview camera changes without warning from time to time. I've replaced the valance panel on the driver's seat twice. The culprit seems to be a fragile clip molded into the panel. A couple of small black screws seems to have fixed it, but they're kinda ugly. There's no good way to clean under the airfoil on the back window, the kick sensor to open the rear hatch is unreliable, and why did they move the danged hatch "close" button to the passenger side from the driver side? Otherwise, I love this truck!

Back