If you had a second gen Explorer, what engine would you put in it? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

If you had a second gen Explorer, what engine would you put in it?

4pointslow

Explorer Torture Tester
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Gloucester City, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 2Dr,2,000 & 04 4dr xlt
I decided to start this thread to hear all about what engines people would like to have in a second gen Explorer.
Personally, I have loved the 4.0 SOHC for all the abuse it has held up to, but I am pretty sure I got all I could out of mine and am planning a drivetrain swap.
The 5.0 Pushrod engine that came in 4 doors would be an easier swap in my 2 door as they already came in 4 door models.
Having a love for superchargers I want to boost mine but there doesn't seem to be an easy way to bolt a roots style supercharger on the 5.0 pushrod engine.
What would you put in your second gen Explorer if you were going to do a drivetrain swap?
Picture for attention.

2jz.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I want to see someone take a mid 90s obs 350, 351, or 383 shoved into an X. Those suckers all can put out some serious power! Especially that 383, dad gum that would be nice! Not sure of the dimensions on them in comparison to like the explorers 4.0s and 5.0, but I'm sure it would be a tight fit, wicked if and when done!
Going to keep trying to convince @Fix4Dirt to be the first on a 5.7l swap, after having one in the Rado, think he needs to try when his SOHC gets to that time in its life 😂

I want to see someone take a mid 90s obs 350, 351, or 383 shoved into an X. Those suckers all can put out some serious power! Especially that 383, dad gum that would be nice! Not sure of the dimensions on them in comparison to like the explorers 4.0s and 5.0, but I'm sure it would be a tight fit, wicked if and when done!
Going to keep trying to convince @Fix4Dirt to be the first on a 5.7l swap, after having one in the Rado, think he needs to try when his SOHC gets to that time in its life 😂
..............i deny any knowledge of ever wanting a 5.7!!!! have i hesrd it? yeah. am i convinced? no, ill dona 351 LOL 😂

Check this thing out, just saw it on facebook, ranger with a 5.8l 351W!

I decided to start this thread to hear all about what engines people would like to have in a second gen Explorer.
Personally, I have loved the 4.0 SOHC for all the abuse it has held up to, but I am pretty sure I got all I could out of mine and am planning a drivetrain swap.
The 5.0 Pushrod engine that came in 4 doors would be an easier swap in my 2 door as they already came in 4 door models.
Having a love for superchargers I want to boost mine but there doesn't seem to be an easy way to bolt a roots style supercharger on the 5.0 pushrod engine.
What would you put in your second gen Explorer if you were going to do a drivetrain swap?
Picture for attention.

View attachment 433166
Loved the 5.0 in my 82 Crown Vic! Guess it was superseded with the 4.5. The more recent 5.0, then, but would have to get a new tranny to go with it. Really, I'd look for a rust free Ex already with the 5.0 and its trans, and go about the conversion from AWD to 4x4! But this is "if I had my druthers" My SOHC 2nd gen working just fine at 175 K.

383? the old Mopar engine? or did someone else also make one?

383? the old Mopar engine? or did someone else also make one?
Well, you can take a 350 like I have and bore it out into a 383, I'll probably end up doing that eventually, they make the kits and all for it. Or you could go somewhere like jeggs or summit and get an actual 383 crate engine, looked at a few the other day for specs, check this one out

Screenshot_20220805-123907_Samsung Internet.jpg

Well, you can take a 350 like I have and bore it out into a 383, I'll probably end up doing that eventually, they make the kits and all for it. Or you could go somewhere like jeggs or summit and get an actual 383 crate engine, looked at a few the other day for specs, check this one out

View attachment 433171
I'm old school prejudiced against boring out, for reasons of cooling/weakening /thinning walls. But that goes back to '70s engines. And it's not like I'm going to DIY it either. Crazy idea I had, get another early 80s Crown Vic and have it lifted and 4x4 installed, likely impossible, but would be a fun ride. Or do the same with an old Mopar. Really miss driving a V8, my SOHC gets similar mileage to one. ALL of this is in pipe dream land for me. But if money were no object....

I'm old school prejudiced against boring out, for reasons of cooling/weakening /thinning walls. But that goes back to '70s engines. And it's not like I'm going to DIY it either. Crazy idea I had, get another early 80s Crown Vic and have it lifted and 4x4 installed, likely impossible, but would be a fun ride. Or do the same with an old Mopar. Really miss driving a V8, my SOHC gets similar mileage to one. ALL of this is in pipe dream land for me. But if money were no object....
A lot of the cubes come from a longer stroke, it’s not just an overbore. It also often starts with an aftermarket block with thicker walls to start with.

Well, won't deny that's fair. But I'd still like to do it, eventually, add a supercharger ontop of that and dad gum you could have some serious power! Hey, I've seen similar, seen people take little cars like that and lift them with 4wd and all, so you probably could.

5.3 LS (LM7) V8 or a supercharged 3800 L32 SIII, both GM. L32 was in 2002-2007 Pontiac Grand Prix, the LM7 was in lots of vehicles. I am planning on eventually putting a L32 in my 1994 Explorer since I already have a 60* bellhousing 700R4 transmission. Tons of aftermarket support, very reliable power plants.

I'd love to see you do a 302 based engine with boost of some type. They have been done many times of course, but yes it takes some serious thought and fabrication too. The best part is the core engine fits great, the exhaust and intake system become the big obstacles.

Someone did buy a 1994/95(SN95) Kenne Bell supercharger kit and make the drive snout and idler pulley parts work. Those SN95 Mustangs have a slightly(3/8") longer water pump etc, all pulleys are out that small amount. It's manageable if you know ahead of time what the issue is. That was a non intercooled kit of course, Kenne Bell never made a kit for the 302 with an intercooler.

But you can make your own system, as Tim (vroomzoomboom) has proven very well. I like the layout of the KB systems other than the lack of an IC. A few people have made there own modified induction systems on Mustangs. I saw the idea I'm aiming for 10+ years ago, and then shortly after that someone built a race car out of his 1989 Saleen Mustang with a fabricated KB system. He made the inlet plenums to install onto his built 351W, and made over 1100hp. He built his after a friend had something similar with a different blower/car/engine, which was even wilder when he started.

That was Saleen414 on the Corral; Project 89' Saleen 8.5 O/L Build
His thread is from 2015 and had lots of fotobucket pics, but page 13 has a couple of under hood and the inlet plenums separately.

Below is that SN95 KB kit on a 2nd gen Explorer, and the other picture is of an SN95 Mustang with a KB and an IC plenum mounted above the lower intake. This method allows using any lower intake, which is great because the TFS R intake has large ports unlike the GT40's small ports.

Explorer KB blower TimBeek.jpg KB Intercooler.jpg

Built 393 ci 351 Windsor. It will bolt in using the 5.0 trans and mounts and will take all the short front water pump and belt drive parts afaik. Also the FI intake is available so you could run the same ecu, programmed of course.

I would install a 5.0L V8 and bolt a Kenne Bell twinscrew blower on it. Add water injection for IA cooling and you'll have a ripper. I ran a Kenne Bell 2.2L with Blowzilla/Flowzilla manifolds, water injection (no alcohol) and a J&S Safeguard (controls detonation) for a number of years. It made 435 rwhp and 462 rwtq (@ 2,200 rpm) and it was blast to drive. The twinscrews are more efficient than a Roots (or used to be) and you get full boost at any RPM with just a blip of the throttle. It made my 5.0L run and feel like a very well built, strong running big block engine.

Built 393 ci 351 Windsor. It will bolt in using the 5.0 trans and mounts and will take all the short front water pump and belt drive parts afaik. Also the FI intake is available so you could run the same ecu, programmed of course.
Gonna have header fitment issues, cam sensor shaft needs lengthened.

Anything you stick in a 2nd gen 4wd will not allow 500 hp worth of long tube headers.

And if f long tubes won't fit, why bother?

These are all great ideas!
If I hit the lottery I would buy as many second gen Explorers as I could and just start doing all of these swaps.
Can you imagine having a fleet like this! LOL, I dream big sometimes.
I heard a couple of stories where worker from a single company all got together and bought a large number of lottery tickets and won.
The companies lost all their employees real fast to say the least. Maybe in the future, Explorerforum lottery group buy?

In the meantime I will keep driving my stock 4.0 SOHV V6 four door Explorer to work and back 5 days a week. LOL

Either

BT4

or

7.3 Godzilla

the 2.8 Cummins re power would be cool too

Always wanted to build an SVO sport with a 2.3 Turbo intercooled

I like to be different :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back