If you had a second gen Explorer, what engine would you put in it? | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

If you had a second gen Explorer, what engine would you put in it?

Man, I got that normally in the stock SOHC, I averaged between both around 14-16 mpg 😂
How the heck is your mileage so nice even with a supercharger 😂
The Rado is getting like 17-19mpg
Bypass valve vacuum controlled

Under boost probably 2 Mpg lol
And I have to run 93 gas so it cost me more

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Bypass valve vacuum controlled

Under boost probably 2 Mpg lol
And I have to run 93 gas so it cost me more
Yeah, only reason I dont look forward to maybe supercharging the 5.7l, I like my 87 octane right now 😂
Ahh, that helps, makes sense 😂

If money was no issue 2.3l and a 10 speed transmission hell yeah. It be a rocket. I would also consider the 2.7. If I could find one low mileage 351 or 302!
That was on my list too for my Mountaineer. Those ecoboost engines all have the turbos mounted low next to the oil pan on each side. I think all of those would have to be moved, conflicting with the frame rails. That's why I mentioned the NA 3.7 engines, they seem small and weigh just over 200lbs assembled.

I decided to start this thread to hear all about what engines people would like to have in a second gen Explorer.
Personally, I have loved the 4.0 SOHC for all the abuse it has held up to, but I am pretty sure I got all I could out of mine and am planning a drivetrain swap.
The 5.0 Pushrod engine that came in 4 doors would be an easier swap in my 2 door as they already came in 4 door models.
Having a love for superchargers I want to boost mine but there doesn't seem to be an easy way to bolt a roots style supercharger on the 5.0 pushrod engine.
What would you put in your second gen Explorer if you were going to do a drivetrain swap?
Picture for attention.

View attachment 433166
Oh yes that one...........

nope never.

Oh yes that one...........

nope never.
But seriously, why not bulletproof the SOHC and supercharge it, that would be my choice. Or 6.9 cornbinder from a '86 250.

But seriously, why not bulletproof the SOHC and supercharge it, that would be my choice. Or 6.9 cornbinder from a '86 250.
The 6.9 is the heaviest 100 hp you will ever make

What are you people smoking talking about turbos and superchargers ?

What did super unleaded peak at $6.50 a gallon ? Next time you will be seeing 10 bucks a gallon .

diesel was right up there too actually but a 4bt wouldnt use much so thats not a bad idea

I learned that lesson when i was in my 20s and felt like the stroker i was bulding needed 10.5 to1 compression. Sucks having something you cant afford to drive because of the entirely avoidable problems you self created when you built it 😆
If you got to 13 to 1 compression, E85 gets better mpg than gas at that point and it would be cheaper to run. I drive turbo diesel trucks for work, the first thing I do when I buy them is have the engine remapped for max power, then max the injector timing out and enjoy better fuel economy. .75 mpg savings over 250,000 miles a year adds up.

2.3 eco boost with a 6r80 or a 10r80. 300hp stock embarrasses the old 5.0. Put a tune on it and embarrass other people.

The 6.9 is the heaviest 100 hp you will ever make

6.9 pull from a 1986 my boom wouldnt lift it high enough i had to drag the truck out from under it backwards. something got snagged and instead of gliding out the boom pivoted up

:rolleyes:
HPIM3133.JPG

What are you people smoking talking about turbos and superchargers ?

What did super unleaded peak at $6.50 a gallon ? Next time you will be seeing 10 bucks a gallon .

$3.85 for regular today.

I get about 17-18 highway and 12 - 15 town lol
Supercharged 10 pounds boost ;)

18 city 24 hwy. Twin turbo 3.0 Explorer :D

Having done the SOHC swap in the Navajo already, with a full donor any motor swap isn't bad. Just time consuming.

Now if I could swap what ever I want? 2.3 turbo with the 10 speed would be awesome in a 1st or 2nd gen. Find a rolled Ranger (or Bronco) and go at it.

Option 2, in Electric. Would love to make a electric rock crawler, for endless torque. 😎

Having done the SOHC swap in the Navajo already, with a full donor any motor swap isn't bad. Just time consuming.

Now if I could swap what ever I want? 2.3 turbo with the 10 speed would be awesome in a 1st or 2nd gen. Find a rolled Ranger (or Bronco) and go at it.

Option 2, in Electric. Would love to make a electric rock crawler, for endless torque. 😎
An electric crawler, that would be so cool! Weird to hear a quiet crawler, but the torque would certainly be nice! Someone please try this, or wait till the new electric Banshee charger comes out with its ultimate power and take the stuff out of that and swap it in! The only issue with going electric, is the weight, all those batteries weigh a ton!

The only issue with going electric, is the weight, all those batteries weigh a ton!

The factories keep the weight as low as possible, building a "skateboard" from the battery packs. Drop the body of choice on the "skateboard" and away you go.

Basic idea...

skateboard.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The factories keep the weight as low as possible, building a "skateboard" from the battery packs. Drop the body of choice on the "skateboard" and away you go.

Basic idea...

View attachment 433464
But that's difficult to do for a crawler, need to lift it a bit. For a street cruiser or like performance X, that would be fantastic!

Back