High End Luxury SUV or '14 Ford Explorer Sport Loaded | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

High End Luxury SUV or '14 Ford Explorer Sport Loaded

Badboca

Reaction score
City, State
Sarasota FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 GX 460
I am a new member to this forum. I want to get a new SUV. I currently have a 2010 Lexus GX460 with about 66k. My fiance and i went to Ford last week because a few of our friends purchased the Ford Fusions and loved it! So we brought our 04 VW Jetta Turbo over to be appraised to hopefully strike a deal if we drove the Fusion and liked it. WELL not only did we like it we decided to get the loaded out Titanium Silver/Black with 12 miles on it. We put 20k down just to get it over with..financed the remaining 12k. As i'm driving it i realized "man this is freaking awesome, i wish i had a new truck" I almost felt as if my Lexus was a "beater" now lol.

So i went on the website and saw the Explorer built it out and fell in love after i saw a YouTube video showing the twin turbos in action! I had to drive it. I went down Monday and drove it and it drove exactly as i suspected...AWESOME! It came out to around $49k with EVERYTHING including the tow package on it. Well apparently they didn't have one in stock not only not in stock but NO ONE has one that i'm ordering. So now here i am with an order in for a NEW EXPLORER SPORT and nothing but 10 weeks to show for it. I'm locked in on the price however the funny part is they made me sign nothing...They said they had me locked in on the incentives but again they negotiated with me but not much beings its being ordered but came out and said "that's it it's all done, we'll order it". I was on my way. So as i'm sitting here and time going by...did i do the right thing, or better yet AM I doing the right thing? I mean do people really trade in their 3 year old 65k SUV for a brand new FORD EXPLORER 50k ? They only want to give me 35k for my Lexus GX460 as a trade. I'm just up in the air with my decision and hopefully you all can help me solidify my situation. Thanks for reading.

SIncerely Badboca

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ford has come a long way. I'm sure there's some aspects of the Lexus that are higher end quality. The leather may be nicer, it may have a few more frills, but the top model Fords do have a nice luxury quality to them. I say you did the right thing! lol

i think the vehicle swap will be a good one. as far as price, i would want to be around 36 for the lexus and pay invoice for the explorer. the dealer will make 2-3K on the lexus and how ever much the holdback is on the explorer.

how is the dealership service when you need anything for the Lexus?
..and it it always more expensive for basic seasonal maint, or average?

how is the dealership service when you need anything for the Lexus?
..and it it always more expensive for basic seasonal maint, or average?

This.

My guess is that you'll love the vehicle, but the service experience might not be what you're used to. Even if your local dealer is great, they still have to deal with Ford, and based on what I read here, that doesn't always go according to plan :)

I came out of an Infinity, and service was impeccable. They called me when my car was due, they always had a loaner that was the same car as mine, and I never once had them question an issue (not that I had that many...). They would even pick up and deliver the car if I scheduled it out far enough (2-3 weeks). Never had to wait on a part. You get spoiled with that kind of treatment :)

That being said, Infinity didn't really have anything close to the Explorer Sport, and I bought what I felt was the best package for me. Whether or not it turns out to be the better vehicle in the long run remains to be seen.

you are going to miss your lexus. I currently have a 2004 lexus rx330 and a 2011 ex limited. The quality of the lexus is far far far superior to that of the ford [even though the lexus is almost 10 years old]. The transmission on the lexus is much more refined. There really is no comparing the two. I mean I love my ex and all of its fancy tech toys but all the little problems sometimes push me to take the lexus to work instead of the ex.

Ford has come a long way.

Except for the dealership experience. MB, Infiniti , etc provide a significantly better 'Customer Service' experience. Also, the fit and finish of the Ford is subpar, compared to higher end brands. You only need to search on this Forum to find this.

Ford is not a luxury brand, regardless of price.

I think anyone who switches from a foreign car brand to an American one gets 2 thumbs up in my book.

I am going on 32 days with a 2014 Expl Lmt.

Its my 1st American Car since 1986. I truly cannot say how proud I am to be driving an American Car again. I liked my foreign cars, but always wanted an American Made Car again.

I love my Explorer and don't regret buying it one bit. I am seeing a lot more Expl Sprts on the road. Everyday day I get into my Explorer, I am extremely content with my purchase.

I was told 6-8 weeks, but got it in just under 12 weeks.

Ford, GM, and Chrysler have come a long way in the past 10 yrs.

The Ford Explorer, Taurus, Fusion, Chevy Impala, Tahoe, Chrysler 300, Dodge Durango, Charger, Jeep Grand Cherokee, all great American Made Cars.

I am proudly partial to the Ford Explorer.

First time for me as well with an american car, and i always avoid them just because of the horror stories. Id figured I try the ex sport and cant say how much im impressed with it.

Like some ppl say, fit and finish isnt exactly at par with european makes but this sport is nice. Have 5000 miles and no issues at all

Except for the dealership experience. MB, Infiniti , etc provide a significantly better 'Customer Service' experience. Also, the fit and finish of the Ford is subpar, compared to higher end brands. You only need to search on this Forum to find this.

Ford is not a luxury brand, regardless of price.

Never said FOrd was a luxury brand, I said they've come a long way. Go hop in a GM or Dodge SUV and the Ford will suddenly feel like a luxury vehicle compared to their direct competition.

I got a lexus IS300 when they first came out in 2001. I will say that the service was top notch from the dealership experience to how they handle warranty. Every time my IS was there, I got another lexus for a rental at no charge, my car was hand washed, dried and vacuumed at no charge. Not only that but when I have having issues with my wife's Audi with chewing up tires and them telling me there was nothing wrong with my alignment, the Lexus dealership took it upon themselves to put it on the alignment rack and attempted to fix it at NO CHARGE.

That is lexus service!!! However, I will not go back to a Toyota product again.

I love my Ex and my only regret is that I didn't wait for the Sport. I was torn between the flex (because I wanted the Ecoboost) but I also wanted MFT which made me go with the Ex.

Don't expect to be treated in a luxurious way when you go in for service and you won't get a rental unless you buy an ESP BUT the Ex is a great vehicle and vehicle for vehicle, you'll love the Sport.

IMO, the Ex compares favorably to high-end SUVs. If you were to put half of the price difference between the Cayenne and the Ex back into the Ex, you would have materials and fit-and-finish that would rival the best of them.

The Limited will be the most refined model, compared to you Lexus.

I've had and traded driving a few SUVs in the last few months. Land Rover, Lexus, BMW, Caddy and Toyota.

Other then the Caddy, all said the really, really liked all of my options and features, but it's also larger then the Caddy, BMW and Lexus.

The Lexus owner just traded in for the Edge Limited, fully loaded.

My last car was a Volvo S60R. which stock would blow away the older BMW M3.
It was between the M3 and M5. I enjoy the Ex Limited just as much.

Drive is just as nice, but of course not programmable, then interior is a little less quality, and only as far as the stiffness of the leather.

Otherwise the more high end options are nicer then the S60Rs.

But it's you in the drivers seat.

Go test drive it at a few different dealers and then make your choice.
Then deal witht eh sale. $$$

Anything but Ford ......... To many problems!

Anything but Ford ......... To many problems!

That is funny. Ford is the only make that I have never had many problems with.
I would push a Ford before I drive another Govt Motors vehicle.:D

If you are really going to use the 3rd row, look at all of the makes that offer 3rd row and bench options.
3rd row access with bench now includes sliding and easy folding, as well as power 2nd row to 3rd row access in some brands.

Also in the same family of SUVs, the 3rd row can be 3 full size seats, but the car isnt much bigger and the mileage no worse.
(And the 2nd row can be 3 full size seats, but not in too many of them. Most are 2.5 seats)

The 3rd row access in the Ex is a bit clumsy going down and back up.

...having said that, if you see video of the Ex parking itself, holy sh*t it is awesome...
(google: explorer park assist)

If you want to go America. Ford is the best way to go. All I can say is, if you have a problem. At least Ford tries to take care of you. From my experience, Ford has always helped me in every issue I've had. So if you do have a problem. Customer service would not be an issue. However, there is a bit of problems but you won't experience nearly as many as I have had with my 2011 due to the model year changes maturing.

I constantly get double takes from Ranger Rover owners when they drive by me.

Jealous!

My wife has a 2010 LR2 Land Rover. When she first say down inside my 13 Sport she couldn't believe it was a Ford. She recently rented an Edge on a business trip and loved it. We may end up with another Ford in our garage soon....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I personally haven't owned a Ford since 1990 and was a strict import guy. I bought my Sport approximately a month ago and traded in my Genesis Sedan for it. The Genesis is considered a luxury sedan and its a super nice car. The Explorer is not as refined as the Genesis and the quality of materials is not quite as good. However, I found that the Genesis was a really, really nice car when I compared with almost anything else out there including Acuras, BMW's etc. So Far I love my Explorer Sport and am not looking back at all, no regrets here. The driving dynamics are great for such a big SUV, the acceleration is almost as good as the Genesis and it comes loaded with awesome options on par with the Genesis. I'm very happy with it and I don't think you'll find a better value for what you get. I really don't think the luxury brands will be much better if any better, the quality of materials may be a bit better and the dealer service might be better, but driving dynamics and options will be either not as good or at best on par with the Explorer Sport. Just my 2 cents.

Back