Does Ford use different projectors for Explorer Halogen & HID? ...ANSWERED! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Does Ford use different projectors for Explorer Halogen & HID? ...ANSWERED!

I can't tell you how many times I've seen / heard this question asked:
If you purchase the optional upgrade to HID headlamps on the 5th Gen Limited, does Ford change just the hardware needed to make the switch? Ie. ballasts, wiring, bulbs? OR does Ford install a new HID-Specific projector also?

Or simply put: are the OEM projectors different from halogen to HID application?

I spoke with our resident Ford rep about this very topic, and here's what I got:

Hi gang,

I checked with my technical adviser on this issue; he states that the housings are different. They may look similar from the outside, but most of the differences are internal.

Crystal

Awesome Crystal, thanks so much for finding the answer to this for us!
Just to be clear (you know what a stickler us forum folk are for detail:D), we are talking about the projector itself being different and not just the overall headlamp assembly, correct?

Thanks again Crystal for the quick response (as always!).
Jack

Hi Jack,

My adviser confirmed that the projector itself is different.

Crystal

So there you have it. Makes you wonder why the HID OEM projectors aren't better...but at least it's not just Ford retrofitting the HID bulbs! Lol

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Let it go . . .

It's not necessary to make a new thread just to repost something from another thread.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=395142

Man, you just won't get off my back, will you?? You might be right, but I know a lot of people have been curious to hear an answer to this, and I wasn't sure they would find it at the end of the lengthy thread it ended up in. Seems like a good idea to me.

It's funny; I was just thinking about you not 10 minutes ago when I finished payment on an order from DDM and about "how stupid" I must be for retrofitting another set of HIDs.

55w this time. :D

stupid? I wouldn't say that, but considering the projectors are different, definitely not the best idea

Man, you just won't get off my back, will you?? You might be right, but I know a lot of people have been curious to hear an answer to this, and I wasn't sure they would find it at the end of the lengthy thread it ended up in. Seems like a good idea to me.

It's never a good idea to make a new post about something that was already posted in the thread right below it, no matter how good of an idea it may seem to you.

If you think something is so important it requires more attention than it was getting in it's own thread, you can contact the moderator of that particular forum and suggest it become a sticky, and they can also edit the title of the thread and the first post to bring the relevant information to the top. You can also contact the original poster and they can edit their post with the info you think needs to be in the first post.

If you think something in say, the lighting forum would be of particular interest to people who frequent the 2011-2014 forum who might not otherwise see it, you can suggest it be moved, or contact the moderator of the 2011-2014 forum about having this thread moved over there and made into a sticky.

It's never a good idea to make a new post about something that was already posted in the thread right below it, no matter how good of an idea it may seem to you.

I completely understand and see your point. You've been here MUCH longer than me and you're far more knowledgeable on the workings of this forum. No question. Again though...with all of the knowledge you have to share, do you really have to be so condescending about it? Seems like a more tactful approach with information provided to be helpful would go a lot further than spouting off a bunch of info just to prove you're right. IMHO...

SO; would you suggest I contact the moderator, request he delete's this thread, and stickies the other? I have no problem doing that if that fits the mold better.

I completely understand and see your point. You've been here MUCH longer than me and you're far more knowledgeable on the workings of this forum. No question. Again though...with all of the knowledge you have to share, do you really have to be so condescending about it? Seems like a more tactful approach with information provided to be helpful would go a lot further than spouting off a bunch of info just to prove you're right. IMHO...

What about the information typed is condescending? Your posts are very bizarre, you disagree about being correct and agree about being incorrect at the same time. When someone points out incorrect information or that you've done something you shouldn't have done, that doesn't automatically mean they're being condescending. You may be reading too much into it, or projecting an angry tone when you read that isn't the intent of the person who typed it.

SO; would you suggest I contact the moderator, request he delete's this thread, and stickies the other? I have no problem doing that if that fits the mold better.

If you want the members in the 2011-2014 forum to notice that thread, I would suggest asking a moderator about moving this thread to the 2011-2014 forum, or just deleting this thread entirely and starting a new one in the 2011-2014 forum. I would guess that the best place for it would be the modified 2011+ forum. You should contact the moderator of the modified 2011+ forum about why you feel that should be made a sticky if you want it to become a sticky in that forum.

If you think the original thread topic will come up enough that it should also be a sticky in the lighting forum, you can contact the moderator of the lighting forum about why you feel the original thread should be a sticky and they'll decide what to do.

Your posts are very bizarre, you disagree about being correct and agree about being incorrect at the same time.

If you think the original thread topic will come up enough that it should also be a sticky in the lighting forum, you can contact the moderator of the lighting forum about why you feel the original thread should be a sticky and they'll decide what to do.

Maybe I am reading into it, or projecting a tone that isn't there. Just seems lime your word choice is very deliberate and it doesn't read very politely.

As for my posts being bizarre and your reasoning as to why; I don't understand what that means. Any examples you would care to share to help me identify the problems with my posts? I think I've made every effort to explain how I'm trying to remain open minded and that I don't know what the right/wrong answer is until I've been shown definitive evidence. If it doesn't come off that way, I would be interested to know what I should change.

As for contacting the moderator; bare with me, newb question.
What's the best way to find the moderator to each forum?

Back