The Black Hole | Page 89 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Post number 3327 has been selected as best answered.

Whats In A Name?

It was hot humid august night. The winds have all but vanished. I was doing my best to keep the sweat out of my eyes. The A/C was dying in my 94 Explorer, lovingly named "Pugly", and there was no relief in sight. I decided it was time to stop throwing good money into bad. I was gonna do the unthinkable,.......I was going to commit the most heinous crime of them all! I was going to trade Pugly in for a newer model! Oh the heart break! The insanity of it all! I couldn't believe the thoughts were even going through my head.

I managed to get the old girl back home, to her resting place. She seemed at ease in her familiar surroundings. I had to come up with an explanation to let her know of my evil plan. So i just gave her that old wink and grin that she likes to see from me as we made it back home from another day of adventure in the treacherous Midwestern terrain. I did my best in hiding my cynical thoughts, as I walked around to her rear flank and gave her that little pat on her bumper, as I always have when we part for the night.

The next morning I gave her a real good bath, cleaned behind her mirrors, and brushed her grill. She still looked pretty good for her age. Oh sure she had the tell tale signs, gravity has got its firm grip on her, and I am not the best cosmetics guy in the world. she didn't seem to mind too much, she still kept her nose up and drove with pride.

After looking at many vehicles I just could not find anything that had the same feel as my old girl. Then it happened! Was I seeing a mirage? Was I so desperate to find another rig that I was blinded by insanity? I found my replacement! I quickly made a sale with the owner, and brought it home.

When I pulled in the driveway, my heart sunk as I looked into the yard to see my 94 looking at me in disbelief. She was sunning herself in the grass looking all shiny and then, she just looked away from me. My heart was tearing in two. I parked the new rig, and walked up to her and gave her a soft spoken "Hello". No reply. I tried to tickle her mirrors, no response. The tension was so great, you could have cut it with a 32 count fine tooth hacksaw. I had to explain to her that she gave me great satisfaction for many years, and we made a terrific team together, but the time has come for her to just relax and enjoy her final days. She finally revved up, and understood, her days as my work horse has ended (so we thought).

I introduced her to her daily driver replacement. The shiny new(er) next generation of her kind. The 95 Explorer XLT. She warmed right up to it. Before you know it they were swapping stories. Now I had to ask her for help. I needed a name for the new ride,
so I went to find her, and what did I see? Those two were grill to grill in the driveway. rubbing chrome! I had to get the water hose out and break them up! Sheesh, she was acting like a girl at the prom dance! I let the name thing drop for awhile.

The new(er) Ex needed to get its shots, and a physical. When I got the word on it's health, I about had a coronary. "What do you mean Doc"! I yelled. "Your kidding right"? I asked. The Doc just shook his head and gathered his tools. As he walked away, He said it had a 50/50 chance of survival. My stomach knotted up, my teeth ground, my heart raced, and I could feel the energy build up as I let it all out, "Why! Why! Why did this have to happen"! I screamed.

The prognostic exam from the doc was as such. It had a blown steering rack, the shocks were gone, the brakes were non existent, front sway bar was cracked in half, the 3rd brake light was out, none of the windows or the moon roof would work, the door locks were broke, the rear end LS clutch pack was burned up, the tires were all in need of replacement, the spare was a Firestone recall and flat, the engine had a nasty tick to it, the TPS was shot, the MAF was corroded, the battery had a dead cell in it, the hood shocks were not working, the rear hatch lock was jammed up and you couldn't open it with out a key in the lock, The carpet was stained to no repair, the rear window wiper didn't want to work, and we could not tell what year its engine swap came from. it was a mess, to say the least.

I went in the house to get my gun. I was gonna just put it out of its misery right there and then. I suddenly realized I was out of ammo, from shooting at the jeep that was in my field. I went to the computer to find a place to buy some cheap ammo, and I stumbled across this website, explorerforum.com that said it could heal any ford Explorer no matter what the problems were! I jumped for joy, I could not believe the things I was reading! I wore out the search button, asked a bunch of questions. I quickly broke out my pen and paper, feverishly writing down things as I was learning! I had found a cure for everything that was wrong with my new transport. It was a Godsend, an angel from the SUV heavens!

I sprung into action. I worked day and night, Pugly was right by my side the entire time, helping me in any way she could. I never seen this side of her, and was really amazed at how well she handled the pressure. She gently squeegeed the sweat out off my fore head with her soft wiper blades as I worked away. After an entire weekend of work, I collapsed. I needed some rest, and so did the 95. The sun crested over the hills, and awoke me to a new day. I shuffled my feet to the window facing the driveway, peeled the drapes gently back, and peered out at the 95. WOW!
It had a its color back, and was looking great! Now as the time went on, (and most of my paychecks), and the selling of almost everything I own, for funds to get the 95 to its former glory.

After some time to reflect on this name thing, I strolled up and whispered into Pugly's passenger side mirror, and she giggled with delight.

I climbed up onto the front bumper in my pajamas and robe half opened, with a cup of coffee in one hand and the daily newspaper in the other, I raised my arms with out stretched hands and proclaimed the new name of the 95.

BEHOLD...........THE BLACK HOLE!!!!!!!! (Then the neighbor yelled at me to close my robe)

The End................(or is it just the beginning?)

Actually, only some of this really happened. :D

View attachment 324381

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There was two trails going up this wooded hill climb right next to each other. Left side was easier then the right. The right side mud hole was about 10' down and about 20 feet long with deep tire ruts from people fighting to get thru it previously.

In the video below, I took it easy entering the mud hole so as not to hit the tree with the drivers side, as the rut on the left was twice as deep on the right.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Reverse lights got a simple upgrade with 7w flood LED's. Big difference in light output compared to the Ultra stars.

Other than that, not much to report about, other then the rig is working great. These new MTR's work amazing in the snow. :)

I haven't really kept up with your build thread, but looking back a few months to what Turdle said about the frame rolling inwards, I'm positive that is happening. I have coilovers with a brace over the motor, and I need to jack the truck up off the ground to remove or install it. Just the weight of the truck sitting still is enough to twist the frame.

Anyway, that hill climb looks like fun!

Based on your recommendation, I got my LED reverse lights yesterday in the mail. :thumbsup:

Cool! I hope you like em as Much as I do. :thumbsup:

I haven't really kept up with your build thread, but looking back a few months to what Turdle said about the frame rolling inwards, I'm positive that is happening. I have coilovers with a brace over the motor, and I need to jack the truck up off the ground to remove or install it. Just the weight of the truck sitting still is enough to twist the frame.

Anyway, that hill climb looks like fun!

Well, that's good to hear first hand experience with that. Thank you! :thumbsup:

I didn't think it possible with the engine cross member right there and the frame being fully boxed. I still believe that I maxed out the stock suspension parts with the 2" LCA lift and the 35's. Hopefully by this summer I will have the longer UCA's, and think about a cross bar.

I am so not feeling any love, from gaskets & seals lately. :banghead:

I just can't seam to get the Rear pinion seal to last. After 3 failed attempts, I'm just going to take it into a shop and let them handle it. :rolleyes:
I want them to look closely at the pinion shaft and decide if it needs a sleeve.

Valve cover gaskets are the next maintenance item, on the Pre-Moab checklist. :eek:

Time is running low for me and the work to be done on this before Moab this May. I have a long list of things I "Want" to do, but might end up just doing the "Need" to do items.

One of the Need to do items for Moab trails is soften the front end some as it is way to stiff with the 750 lb coils. The slick rock and the long steep climbs cause the rigs to "Hump" the rock if the tires spin at all. A super stiff front end will make it worse I believe, and can cause a backwards roll over on the real steep climbs.

So I need to change the coils on the front shocks, as that is about all I can do for this. So if I drop down to a 600-650 lb spring, it will soften it up, but I'm afraid I will lose my lift as well. :dunno:

I thought about dual rate/progressive style, but had no luck finding a 12" coil with anything over 350 lb rating. If anybody can suggest a good coil manufacture to use (besides Eibach) that has what I'm after, please let me know. Thanks!

The rear shocks are being changed out and being replaced with the Rancho 7000MT's. I have a set of custom fabricated upper rear shock mounts that allow for eyelet mounting. I will share those with you all and tell you how you can get a set if you wish, after they are installed. Parts are all in boxes still, just waiting to be bolted up.

Spare drive shafts need cleaned, rebuilt, and painted, and a way to store them safely. Then the rear pinion seal replaced.

The next Need item is the rear bumper/tire carrier. I am still trying to find someone that can & will make me a tube bumper. The spare is not going back on the roof if I can help it. Moab is brutal on High CG rigs. The rear tag needs relocated to the tire swingout, so I need the bracket/hardware for that, and power ran for the light.

Last item that Needs to be done is the custom long arm UCA's to get the camber dialed in, and to clear the coils better. Then the alignment shop can do it's thing finally.

Want items are various skid plates fabricated and installed here and there, cargo box and strap tracks system, new rearview, front pass side tire camera system, jerry can mount, and custom spare drive shaft hanger brackets. Oh, and the valve cover gaskets. ugh.

Once I get Pugly fixed, and this donor rig hauled off, I can start on this rig. Tick tock, screams the clock!

Stock 235 off the 94 limited parts rig snuggling up to the 35" Ain't it cute!

Attachments

• stock vs 35 tire.jpg
    stock vs 35 tire.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 158

Yeah, I just got a 98 Limited with the same drab tires on it. I'm street only though, and for my mail truck I just bought 255/65/16's, 29" versus the OEM 30" 16's some came with.

The 255mm looks really wide compared to that 235mm tire, but I know that you guys need the "big" tires for real work. Have fun with it.

Hey Don! Good to hear from you again. Hope.all is well.

The 12.5" mounted on 10" wide wheels really help with the footprint. I lose a bit in height, compared to an 8" wheel, but traction is the name of the game on the trails.

I got a kick out of the size diff and had to take a pic. :)

Yes, it's hard to go back when you've had the big meats.

I've had to choose between 17's and 18's for my good truck, and wanted as much tread as possible. I hunted for a forged used wheel I'd like for ages, and found a 17x9 set last Summer. So the tire was going to be a 275/55, and the wheel made the height, either 29 or 30". I think the width will fit just barely on a lowered truck in front, I've been tweaking the wheel offset etc, for a long while. We'll see if these used wheels made for 12mm studs only will get machined right to fit a 1/2" stud at the proper depth, and stay inside the wheel wells. It's all wishes right now, I've got projects ahead of that.

Life goes fast, enjoy it.

Don....I think Jon & Eric both had good luck with 17" Mustang Wheels when they lowered their rigs. But if you found a set you really like, that's awesome. I have a hard time finding any wheel I actually like anymore.

Spent some time wrenching today, for "Fun" instead of "I Have too wrench in order to survive".

The rear Rancho 9000's were not making me happy anymore. I discovered the right rear was blown, and there was a dent in the can. that dent must have caused it to fail. So I spent time searching & searching, and searching for replacement shocks. I found nobody makes diddly for our rigs in the higher line of shocks. So....

When I come across situations like this, I think out of the box, and search some more. Happened upon a thread where Brian1 had made a set of pin bar eliminator mounts so he could run an eye to eye shock of his choosing. He was able to mount the Bilstein 5125 series. I thought well, that's sweet. Then I found his post that said they were to much to make, and he wasn't making anymore. I thought well, that's not so sweet. Now what?

Back to searching for an aftermarket set of those. I found a few diff brands, but all were for Jeepers. Darn it! So I take a chance, PM Brian, ask him about them. He agreed to make me a set, but of a totally dif design, and I was the test mule. I thought well, hell yeah, that is awesome! True to his word, they arrived shortly after. And they are simple, yet refined for even the finickiest of shockaholics. :) If your interested in a set of these, send Brian1 a PM, and ask him nicely to make you a set. :thumbsup:

They arrive raw, so I primed and painted them with rustoleum hammer finish. I didn't want to crack open a new can of POR15 for these as I am not ready to use it yet on an upcoming mod. Included was a nice hardware shopping list, and instructions with a picture showing how they should go together. Nice touch Brian! :)

So now to find a shock of my choosing after I got my extended, travel, & collapsed numbers. It came down to $$ for a new set. I have other things to spend on as I have a budget for Moab this year. So it was between a set of Bilsein 5125's, Rancho 7000MT's, or Bilstein 5160's. I really wanted the 5160's, but they were twice as much as the others. Then I read reviews on the bushings & seals on them. If they go bad, you really can't rebuild them yourself. All the reviews on the RS7000MT's were positive, and off roader's loved them, and the bushings and sleeves are replaceable easily if needed. RS7000MT's were ordered, and delivered.

I found out today that not all bushing sleeves are of the same width. Guess all I have worked on for the past decade has been Explorers, and I never even thought about it. Imagine that. Brian's tab width's were in spec with the Ex widths, found on the lower mount tabs. I had to remove about 4mm off all sleeves, but grinding 2mm off each side.

Once the mounts were installed per Brian's instructions, they were bolted up with grade 8 hardware. I even replaced the lower mount hardware with new grade 8. I couldn't run the boots as the pass side was too close to the exhaust (not touching) and I was afraid it might melt, so off they came. I never ran them before because they can hold water and silt, and ruin a seal/shaft, but these are black, and I liked how they looked. lol. Oh well, I'm most likely better off w/o them.

I kept the shocks strapped until after the top was mounted tight, then cut the strap, and let the shock lower into position, and stabbed it with the bolt. Much easier then fighting the fully extended shock to mount the lower. Worked like a charm.

So on with the pictures.

Attachments

• pin bar eliminator kit.jpg
    pin bar eliminator kit.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 201
  • Shock kit.jpg
    Shock kit.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 193
  • Shock mounts on.jpg
    Shock mounts on.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 201
  • Shocks installed.jpg
    Shocks installed.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 207

I have extra 9000's laying around the shop, if I would have seen this I could have made you a deal on them

I have extra 9000's laying around the shop, if I would have seen this I could have made you a deal on them

Do you have Stock lengths for the Explorer rear?

I have 9000's on the front of the 1st gen. I have one good, one bad 9000 rear. I could use one good rear, (or both) to match.
:salute:

Do you have Stock lengths for the Explorer rear?

I have 9000's on the front of the 1st gen. I have one good, one bad 9000 rear. I could use one good rear, (or both) to match.
:salute:

Not sure what the original application was I will get the part number off of them. They maybe a tad big I used them on my explorer

fully compression they are 19.5"

fully compression they are 19.5"

Those would most likely work alright. Stock eye to eye center is 17.250" fully collapsed, but the 9000 stock size are good for up to 2" of lift. I have about 3" of rear lift right now. Send me a PM with some info on the set please. Thanks Joe!

Back