PASSING INSPECTION w/ SAS??? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

PASSING INSPECTION w/ SAS???

My dad just revealed the reason hes putting my truck in my name......1)hes pissed my explorers undergoing a sas 2)he says im screwed when i try getting it registered and they inspect it? so what do you guys think will a truck customized to that extent pass inspection?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't see why it wouldn't. A friend of mine in MA has a 4runner with an SAS and he passed inspection no problem. As long as your not above the legal height and don't violate CT lift laws (whatever they are) I would imagine you would be fine.

Well here when i had my other Explorer registered all they did was check the vin on the dash and it was done.

It varies from state to state. I would contact your local DMV. Since it was registered in your parent's name they could probably grandfather it if they have that policy like they do in Maryland. But if not, they may do a complete inspection. I know in Maryland if your tires are 2" or bigger than stock, they'll fail it immediately. Not to mention I believe it has to have the same type of drivetrain that came with the vehicle from the manufacturer

just go to the ghetto part of town and get a mom and pop shop to inspect it...u will pass in 2 sec. they usually just need to money and could care less.

i dont see the reason why it wouldn't pass state inspection. as long as it passes all thier little tests their shouldn't be a problem. hell my passed my state inpection in Nov. with only one thing wrong with it. a burned out rear tail light. i had thought of a lot of reasons on what they would find wrong with my ex and that never even crossed my mind. and the place i went to was far from ghetto.

hopw this helps

Shouldn't be any big deal. ;)

Like everyone said check your local laws.

Jeff - :navajo:

I would imagine the ride height (bumper height) would be the pass or fail and not the actual solid front axle.

God bless Arkansas- if it can move under its own power it is street legal. :D

all that and next time listen to your dad :)

I always listen to mine, and then I go and do it anyway. :)
But as you get older you realize if you were the dad you would be saying the same stuff, hes jsut concerend for your safety and for the bottom line, which is always how its going to cost him $$$.

If there is a "safety" inspection required in CT, then someone made a mistake issuing my three registrations. When you first register a car in CT (from out of state) you have to get a "VIN Verification" which is done at certain DMV offices. All they do is check the VIN on the vehicle against the paperwork. You also need to get an emissions inspection if the model year of your car is more than four years old (beware, this is 2005, so they count back from MY 2006, so anything older than a 2002 needs the emissions test).

thats the same as most states.
If its like CO they could care less what kind of suspension you have, all they want to see is the emissions equippment for the engine is still in place and that the CEL works, and it passes the sniffer test.
I could drive my BII in there with portal axles on 44" tires and as long as it passes emissions they could care less.

Did a search on CT lift laws, this is what I found.. "Modifying the factory bumper height is OK, as long as you keep it at 30 inches from the ground, or lift the vehicle no more than 4 inches. "

410Fortune said:
I could drive my BII in there with portal axles on 44" tires and as long as it passes emissions they could care less.
Sweet! When does that project start? :D

right after the front s trac clip on the 96 Ex and the drivetrain swap from the two 96 5.0l's is done, hahahaha
One of these days I'm gonna get a $300 BII, chop it up, throw all my spare parts at it and go bash it into trees

Like everyone else says, check your local laws and state troopers. They will probably be able to give you the best information. Here in VA, you could get it passed, height doesn't even matter. Just because you pass inspection though, doesn't mean it's street legal. You can still get pulled for ride height. Most people that do the intensive SAS use only offroad anyway. But I'm sure the once in awhile drive to the grocery store in a huge rig doesn't pass up easily. Keep it looking nice, cops will be nicer as long as it looks good -- if it looks like a pile...they will be strict!

-Drew

well the problem with the whole 30 inches thing isthe bumper height right now is 36 inches just jacked up awaiting my lazy but to weld up the rear spring perches and order a leaf over kit from tts fabworks. justputting the axle under with say 33swill jack it up at least another 4 inches.......my dad hasnt turned in the plates yet hopefully he doesnt.......

Teller county in CO doesn't require inspections :p hahaha

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

9sport6 said:
well the problem with the whole 30 inches thing isthe bumper height right now is 36 inches just jacked up awaiting my lazy but to weld up the rear spring perches and order a leaf over kit from tts fabworks. justputting the axle under with say 33swill jack it up at least another 4 inches.......my dad hasnt turned in the plates yet hopefully he doesnt.......

Find a set of scrap tires that will fit the rims and take it in there with them on. (Just make sure they're not bald alltogether)

If push comes to shove, build a custom bumper out of tube stock that will drop to 30".... It may look weird, but should pass.

At the very least, when you see a lifted truck on the road, stop and ask where they had it inspected... you never know.

-Joe

Back