Solved - Transmission Band Adjustment Specification Chart | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Solved Transmission Band Adjustment Specification Chart

Prefix for threads that contain problems that have been resolved, and there is an answer within the thread.
Well, I tried a 12 point 5/16s socket and it was too small, but the open end of a 5/16s wrench seems perfect. I also tried all the other sockets and wrenches I have to find one that fits, but I can't. So it seems I need either an 8 point socket or a spline socket.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You can try to use crowfoot with torque wrench. Have you tried metric sockets? I am planning to do this job soon and I'd like to know what solution you come up with.
Thanks

I found the socket that fits, it is a 12 point 3/8" socket. I found it on Ranger-Forums.com at this link: http://www.ranger-forums.com/forum2/showthread.php?t=34180&highlight=band
The reason that I did not get my 3/8" socket to fit is because it is an 8 point; I inherited my socket set from my dad. So i had to go out and get one, and the only place that I could find a 12 point was at sears. So I will probably adjust the bands tomorrow.

Trans Rumble

what about a trans rumble when the trans shifts out of od trans is warm when this happens and it seams to be around the 45 mph area it happens right before the trans shifts to a lower gear to pass or to keep that speed on the road ?????

so there is no adjustment for the 4r70w? it feels like all the band issues and i have the adjusting screws. what other options are available for this trans?

oh im rolling a 01 AWD 5.0 eb explorer

any help would be great thanks!

well it seems cool, the fluid is clean and full. but a little slugish and shifting at freeway speed is a funny. wont down shift into passing gear at high speed.

A4LD Overdrive Band Adjustment in 4.0L Application

I've read in this thread and others for the A4LD that after tightening the overdrive band to 10 ft-lbs, the correct adjustment is back off the adjustment screw by 2 turns and then tighten the locknut. I have a 1994 Explorer 4.0L with an A4LD and I recently purchased the ATSG for the A4LD - updated October, 2002. This ATSG states in at least three different locations that A4LDs in 4.0L engine applications use a double wrap design band. It also states that the correct adjustment for the double wrap band is to back off the adjustment screw by 3 1/2 turns. So my question is, how did we conclude that A4LDs used a single wrap overdrive band with the exception of 1991/1992? Did that come from a Ford Manual?

Next concern I have is that my 4.0L A4LD transmission was rebuilt when it had about 130,000 miles on it. I can't visually see whether my overdrive band is a single wrap or double wrap band with the valve body removed, but with the ASTG manual stating that A4LD trannies in 4.0L applications use the double-wrap overdrive band, shouldn't I expect my rebuilt tranny to more than likely have the double-wrap overdrive band? Which would mean 3 1/2 turns back off adjustment rather than the 2 turn back off adjustment. Could someone let me know if I'm missing something here?

Is there any way to confirm either a single wrap or double wrap overdrive band installation on my rebuilt transmission without pulling the tranny and gutting it out back to the overdrive clutch pack and overdrive band?

I was just as confused from that book as you are. I had this discussion with Glacier in other threads. He looked the information up in the Ford manual. ATSG also has a companion update manual to the one you have. Here is the information from the first post:
1990-1992 Overdrive bands are double wrap, except in mid 1992, which went back to the single wrap band. Double wrap band = 3.5 turns back.
The A4LD had production changes just about every year they were made. The rebuilders get confused too. I'm sure that's why a lot of people have issues with them after they are rebuilt. Either way, your year was the last year they were built, so it's the most updated.

dagnabit

...hate it when that happens...:p:

Thanks for the clarification! TOok a crack at it today following a trans service and (partial) shift kit install. Couldn't find a socket to fit the bill (yes, I read the sizes quoted in this thread-- off to the store today or tomorrow).

Hey Brooklyn, so on the 5r55e you said that 1st and reverse band arent adjustable. Lately ive lost engine braking in first but i still have it in second. Any suggestions or any way to adjust first gear engine breaking?

No it doesnt delay when shifting, All i really use is 1st 2nd and reverse, it gets trailered everywhere. I do abuse it alot, but it has always held up. This is a tough little tranny. It is due for a fluid change, but i dont really thing that will fix the problem.....

I posted a new thread in the Explorer forum where I'd been reading about this, but I'll ask it more quickly here. I adjusted the OD band on my 95 XLT 4x4 because of a 648 code. This fixed the 648, but prompted a 645, 646, and 647(Incorrect ratios in 1,2 &3.) Now did I over adjust the OD, or do I now need to do the Intermediate? I did the 1.5 turns out to start with, then changed to 2 after the first test drive. I didn't the intermediate before so that I could try to isolate issues. Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back