Mustang 4.6 throttle body on a 4.0 SOHC Explorer | Page 8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Mustang 4.6 throttle body on a 4.0 SOHC Explorer

and by the way Al, that was a hell of a find, great experimentation!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

4.0L Sleeper said:
its the SOHC, I need to give it more air because I am about to get the heads done and a cam as well, thank you very much for your input
you will not get more airflow using an oversized TB, your connected to a 65mm plenum, think about it.
have your OEM TB ported, you will pick up 27 CFM more flow, thats all you need.

I didn't know if i could port the stock one because its plastic and the fact that it would be extremely thin and its very easy to mess up and ruin it, is it safe to do that still???

4.0L Sleeper said:
I didn't know if i could port the stock one because its plastic and the fact that it would be extremely thin and its very easy to mess up and ruin it, is it safe to do that still???
Do a search under ported tb mod,I have a pic posted showing the differance.
The internal dia. is not modified.
As I said larger is not always better.

I also run an adjustable FPR on my X to increase fuel pressure to 35 psi at idle due to the fact I have 24lb fuel injectors.
Remember, when you increase air entering an engine you have to increase the fuel flow to avoid a lean engine check light.

???

I hate to get side-tracked, but, do you have a returnless fuel system on your '97 SOHC? If so, where is this Adjustable Regulator located? If it is near the engine, then it can only DECREASE the fuel pressure since there is no way to increase it. This will be across the board, not just at idle.

The fuel pressure at idle should be considerably lower than any other time since the injector rail pressure is based on the pressure drop felt on the fuel rail (~39.5PSIG), with 20" of vacuum (-9.7PSIG) only ~30PSIG is needed at the rails, so the PCM drops the pressure accordingly.

New project: modifications to the Ford Racing TB are in the works; should result in better mileage and RWHP.

Preliminary data soon.

tb's

Aldive thanks for this thread .I put a ported mustang tb on my sohc and I must admit I was a little disappointed but when I changed the exhaust to 21/2" and put a k&n and I also had my manifolds ported and polished then that is what made the difference but I believe it was a bit of all the mods that made her get up and go now all I need is a good chip. I also changed the plugs to halo's and 10mm cables but I do agree this can be a trap because where do you draw the line when spending dollars ? I do this because of the challenge and I enjoy it and I would like my girl to last . thanks mate

So was there an improvement in mileage and what where the results with dyno testing?
Great write ups btw.

There was a mileage boost. I have not dynoed with the mod.

Tb

aldive, did you ever have any problems with your TB since you put it on?

would putting a stock mustang 4.6L v8 do anything?

I've done this and it does help with throttle responce. I just ordered a 70MM BBK 4.6 2V tb for mine.

The thing to remember is an engine is a big air pump, and can only take in a certain amount of air, based on the size and stroke. Switching to a larger throttle body will allow air to enter the engine in a quicker rate but once the TB is wide open, it's really up to what the engine can ingest. What I'm trying to point out is that you can go to large with the TB. Going to a 75MM TB is probably to much, as far as the engine is concerned, and will basically be at WOT before the gas peddle is to the floor. With that being said, you're TP sensor is still not at wide open throttle, so you can start to see that going with a bigger TB is not always a good idea. A lot of the tuning is based off the TP position.

Another thing - If you search around looking at all the available TB's, you may run across some data that shows flow rates for the TB. This is good and all but the data you want to see is the actual dyno data for the vehicle you're acquiring on. It will not help you if this brand TB can flow higher than the other brand. It will only help you if your engine can make use of the higher flowing TB.

However, a jump to a 70MM TB, on the 4.0 SOHC, is good in my opinion.

Don't forget that seller on eBay, he now does the Explorer stock 68mm TB regularly. I told him that they were a direct swap, and his ported price(total) is very very good.

^^^^ya, he doesn't haven't any for the 4.0 sohc right now

Yes, the Mustang TB is much more common. The only noticeable difference I found was that the Mustang TB creates a little more slack in the throttle cable.

It should be expected to need to remove the slack when installing the Mustang TB.

Yes, the Mustang TB is much more common. The only noticeable difference I found was that the Mustang TB creates a little more slack in the throttle cable.

It should be expected to need to remove the slack when installing the Mustang TB.

I did not see this when I did mine.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It is very slight, I had no slack before, but now there is almost 1/4" of slack. It's likely a normal tolerance difference between vehicles, parts etc.

Back