Modified Ford Racing 4.6 Mustang Throttle Body | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Modified Ford Racing 4.6 Mustang Throttle Body

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Would it involve the words "eaton" maybe Jakee....? :)

UH OH, I smell Jakee coming :fart:

One can smell his BS a mile away.

You can come on and be flogged but at least have some self respect like Aldive and post some numbers.

$5000 in his motor but can't hoof up $150 for a Dyno Run- seems strange don't it.

UH OH, I smell Jakee coming :fart:

One can smell his BS a mile away.

You can come on and be flogged but at least have some self respect like Aldive and post some numbers.

$5000 in his motor but can't hoof up $150 for a Dyno Run- seems strange don't it.

This is sticking to the topic?

My Explorer's 4.0 makes 450HP and I get 33.982 MPG using acetone. 33.981 on plain pump gas...

Will that 4.6 throttle body work on my 2002 Explorer Sport 4.0?

Will this mod work on a 4.0 ohv

NO

There is a aftermarket TB by BBK that is made specifically for the OHV however.

4.0 Ohv

Haynes and the Shop Manual say that the TB/Throttle plate are coated with a special coating and it is not to be tampered with. I understand the mod is not relevant in the OHV, but my TB, etc seems to look pretty fouled up - is there any danger in taking it apart and cleaning/polishing it up - any precautions I should be aware of?

As well, is there anything that can be done with the Plenum - similar to what has been suggested in a few of these posts.

Thanks for all your help.

Cheers, Roger :salute:

Old post, but...

The motor calls for 600 CFM at WOT.

What do you base yoiur thoughts upon?

I'm not sure where those numbers came from...
CFM = (CID*RPM*VE)/3456

(242*7000*.80)/3456=CFM
(based on a VERY efficient factory engine with 80% VE @ WOT/85% @ Max TQ)

1355200/3456=392 CFM

A 350 Chevy, by comparison is only 567CFM...

So, it sounds like the issue isn't the size of the TB, but the rate at which the TB opens.

I bought a ported used OEM(65mm) 4.6 Mustang TB through eBay recently, $45. I'll get it on this weekend.

I only wish that I had a nice 1/4 mile stretch like in 1996 when I had my first Mark VII. I tested each upgrade, so I knew generally which things did nothing or what exactly. I went from about 17.1 seconds to a 15.6 with that car, in about a year. I'm not doing the same thing now, so my scan gauge and the daily fuel use is all I have to go by. I still take about 5.1 to 5.5 gallons per day, and in Winter that becomes worse. So that will not tell me much for tiny changes. I'll let you know if I can tell a difference.

4.6L 70mm TB, new, FleaBay: $47 shipped.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 4.0 OHV, I know about the BBK tb, but I don't understand why I wouldn't benifit from doing a similar mod to my stock tb, or should I have the BBK one modded? (I can do the work on the tb shaft/screw ass'y and polish the bore, but I don't have the tools to bore it out.)

Back