Mustang 4.6 throttle body on a 4.0 SOHC Explorer | Page 12 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Mustang 4.6 throttle body on a 4.0 SOHC Explorer

Can u post up some pics? (Both throttle bodies)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That doesn't sound like the SOHC V6 though, does this picture match your engine? Where is the throttle cable on yours, on the SOHC it's on the driver's side.

Attachments

• 99SOHCfrontdress001.JPG
    99SOHCfrontdress001.JPG
    94.3 KB · Views: 1,213

If you dont understand this thats fine because its hard to explain. First my throttle body is bolted on side ways, the right side is higher than the left. Under my TB there is a little hose, if i follow the hose it goes right to a little piece that draws air inside my TB. When i followed the hose it lead another line. There is a second hole once again inside my TB that leades straight into the upper intake MF. My TB is metal my IMF in plastic. If that helps any.

Pictures sure would help.

I just read this entire thread from beginning to end. It seems to me that the increase in throttle body diameter could improve throttle response and maximum horsepower but will result in virtually no improvement in gas mileage.

A larger than stock throttle body diameter will result in more airflow due to an increase is open area for any given angle of throttle plate rotation up to about 70 degrees or so. Thus an improvement in throttle response. As the wide open throttle position (90 degrees) is approached the point of greatest restriction (in my case probably the air filter intake) will limit the airflow. The MAF sensor/PCM should compensate (maintain proper air/fuel ratio) for the increase in airflow as long as the limits are not exceeded.

At wide open throttle there should be a slight increase in horsepower because there is less air flow restriction overall for the engine. If the stock throttle body is the main air flow restriction then the horsepower increase will be more significant. However, if the air filter intake (1 3/4 inch diameter silencer stock box) is the bottleneck the horsepower increase will be minimal.

As far as gas mileage is concerned, any reduction in air flow restriction should theoretically improve efficiency (i.e. gas mileage). However, at the engine rpms associated with highway cruising I doubt the improvement is detectable.

I haven't read this whole post, but, this is similar to my experiences with Mustang 5.0, AND I did gain HP and fuel economy. Only differences I were I changed out the MAF and air filter/cold air intake. 55 to 65mm throttle body and change to 73mm MAF and K&N filter yielded 5 mpg increase in economy and quicker throttle response as posted early in this thread with increased performance at the track, 1/8 mile times dropped by .2 sec indicating increased HP. I was getting 19mpg composite and now I'm getting 24 mpg out of 5.0L, have heard of guys getting close to 28 mpg.

will the 4.6l mustang tb work on the third gen 4.0 SOHC aswell? and could i just pick one from a junkyard rather than ordering a brand new one?

Sorry to wake up a dead Forum but I'm having a problem. I have a 2001 Explorer Sport 2 door 4.0 and I just bought myself a Mustang GT throttle body and it doesn't bolt right up. this Mustang GT throttle body bolt pattern measures 2.5x3 whereas my stock intake manifold is totally different. from the top left bolt to the top right Bolt is 3.25" and the top right bolt to the bottom right bolt is 3" and the bottom right bolt to the bottom left bolt is 3" and the bottom left bolt to the top left bolt is 3". I also got in touch with bbk and they told me their 75mm tb for 99 to 04 GTs is 2.5"x3". Maybe i should be gettin a 75mm tb for a f150 4.6? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Back