2011 - 2018 Explorer Power Steering Issue | Page 8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Hi everyone,

For those experiencing any concerns on their vehicle, please make an appointment with your Ford dealer as soon as possible. Then, PM me with your VIN, contact information, mileage, and dealer details so I can get this escalated to your regional Customer Service Manager.

...Updating the status, dealer determined that the steering gear and rack needed to be replaced. Initially, the dealer indicated that parts were hard to locate but after one day did locate a new steering gear. Replaced the gear and perfomed alignment (and washed the car!)...
I’m glad your dealer took care of you, KeoweeBob.

So I dropped my Explorer off at the dealer early Monday morning for the steering failure and I have a loaner car. My service advisor called me late Monday to tell me the truck is staying overnight and to keep the loaner...Cory....if you read this what is Ford doing about this issue overall?...
jrosner50,

Ford Motor Company is aware of the investigation and will continue to fully cooperate, as always. For me to help, please send a PM with the above details. Individually escalating cases allows for the scope of an issue to be clearer.

Cory

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

For the people who the dealer repaired, did they tell you what they did? Did they just replace all the power steering parts? Are they throwing parts at the problem not really knowing what caused it?

It says on the invoice:

"Replace rack and pinion, performed alignment
Steering gear assembly - Remove and reinstall or replace
Caster, Camber, Toe-In - Check
Performed Alignment"

Total charge for concern $1368.40 (Covered by warranty)

It says something about part # FMC BB5Z Gear Assembly - Steering

For the people who the dealer repaired, did they tell you what they did? Did they just replace all the power steering parts? Are they throwing parts at the problem not really knowing what caused it?

Mine was at the dealer for 18 days.

Dealer had mine for over 3 weeks. They replaced the entire EPAS unit. Waiting for the part to arrive was the major holdup. If you guys haven't filed a report with NHTSB yet, you really should. IT takes less than 2 minutes and is all done online.
Unless you are waiting for an automaker to do a voluntary recall (don't hold your breath) they need someone (NHTSB) to say to them, we've had x.. number of reports of failure, what are you doing about it?

Ford took care of me, even though we were without our Explorer for 3 weeks, I don't think anything could have been handled better, but I sure as heck wouldn't want someone to be seriously hurt or worse because of a problem with the vehicle that I knew about and didn't report.

Also, someone asked earlier if FWD's or just AWD are effected by the steering issue. The answer is yes, my FWD EPAS failed.

Just dropped my explorer off at the dealership earlier this week for the power steering problem. The dealer thinks it is a control module in the steering column that is causing the problem. I dropped the vehicle off Tuesday. The part was supposed to be here on Thursday and it is now Friday and they say check back Monday. I'll keep you posted on how long this takes and what had to be done to fix it. I did file a complaint with the NHTSB so that it would be on record. Just wanted to let anyone who is interested know there is another occurrence of this problem. Hopefully the part will come in next week and that will fix the problem but I have my doubts after reading through this forum. They haven't offered me a loaner or anything, just told me to check back Monday.

Just dropped off my 2011 Explorer at the local dealership with the same power steering issue. Has gone out 4 times in the past 5 days and the last time it went out I could not get it to reset by turning the vehicle off and then on again. The service writer was familiar with the issue but said it would probably be 6 to 8 weeks before they could get the needed part......BUMMER! They could not have been nicer at the dealership, and did put me in a rental unit, but the wait time for the parts seems to be ridiculous. Can't they just pull the parts from production?

Just dropped off my 2011 Explorer at the local dealership with the same power steering issue. Has gone out 4 times in the past 5 days and the last time it went out I could not get it to reset by turning the vehicle off and then on again. The service writer was familiar with the issue but said it would probably be 6 to 8 weeks before they could get the needed part......BUMMER! They could not have been nicer at the dealership, and did put me in a rental unit, but the wait time for the parts seems to be ridiculous. Can't they just pull the parts from production?
Welcome to the Forum :wavey:.
Did you also file a report with the NHTSA as suggested? There is a 'sticky' on that at the beginning of this Forum.

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/index.cfm

Peter

concerned father

I'm new. Please bear with me. I've never done a forum thread before.

The plot thickens! Looks like the problem has spilled over into the 2012 model year. Same thing just happened at 10:15 last night to my daughter's 2012. Purchased brand new, 9,800 miles. Low speed, half-way thru a narrow 90 degree turn with no shoulder, EPAS failed. At 5'1", it was all she could do to muscle the Explorer thru the turn without running off the road into a ditch. Probably would have resulted in a roll-over! Terrified her!

Took it to 2 dealers today. Service adviser at the first one had no knowledge of a recurring EPAS problem and subsequent NHTSA investigation. Second one, where she actually purchased the vehicle, was very understanding & apologetic. Actually met her at the 1st dealership to pick up the vehicle and take it back to their service department. Apparently, they're going to do the rack & pinion replacement.

If Ford doesn't soon address this, someone is going to get hurt or die, and then they will have the same PR disaster on their hands that Toyota did with the runaway Camrys! That, like this Explorer issue, was just a very small sampling of the huge number of units sold, but it certainly was a big deal to those who lost family & friends.

Cory, thanks for helping the way you are. I'll PM you with the details for this case.

I'm new. Please bear with me. I've never done a forum thread before.

The plot thickens! Looks like the problem has spilled over into the 2012 model year. Same thing just happened at 10:15 last night to my daughter's 2012. Purchased brand new, 9,800 miles. Low speed, half-way thru a narrow 90 degree turn with no shoulder, EPAS failed. At 5'1", it was all she could do to muscle the Explorer thru the turn without running off the road into a ditch. Probably would have resulted in a roll-over! Terrified her!

Took it to 2 dealers today. Service adviser at the first one had no knowledge of a recurring EPAS problem and subsequent NHTSA investigation. Second one, where she actually purchased the vehicle, was very understanding & apologetic. Actually met her at the 1st dealership to pick up the vehicle and take it back to their service department. Apparently, they're going to do the rack & pinion replacement.

If Ford doesn't soon address this, someone is going to get hurt or die, and then they will have the same PR disaster on their hands that Toyota did with the runaway Camrys! That, like this Explorer issue, was just a very small sampling of the huge number of units sold, but it certainly was a big deal to those who lost family & friends.

Cory, thanks for helping the way you are. I'll PM you with the details for this case.
Welcome to the Forum controlfreak. :wavey:
Too bad you are experiencing a problem so soon. I hope that you have added your complaint to the file with NHTSA. This is a very serious problem and doesn't sound like it is a mechanical one.

Peter

Thank you, Peter.

Yes, we have filed an NHTSA report. E-mailed Consumer Reports as well. Sent the link for this forum to the dealership's GM. Sent a PM to Cory.

Yes, this is a serious situation. My daughter was so proud of her new rig. Now, like some other members of this forum, she couldn't care less if she ever sees the vehicle again. Yesterday, she was ready to unload it, no matter the loss. She's so afraid that even if it gets "fixed", the problem may still be lurking out there, just ready to rear its ugly head again at the most inopportune time. She said she'll never be able to trust it again. She just wants someone to assure her that after they "fix" this, it will never happen again, and no one seems to be able to do that. Maybe it will last at least another 10,000 miles, and by then she'll have gotten rid of it.

Replacement part update

Just talked to one of the dealerships. I should have a rental this afternoon. He informed me the part is on back order, 356 are on back order and 144 are to ship the beginning of July. I am guessing mine won't be included in the next shipment since my case has just started. They are "scouring" the country looking to get one sooner. This sounds to me like at least 356 other failures.

Dealer told us Fri. 7/13/2012, now 750 rack & pinion assemblies on back-order. Looks like the scope of this problem is expanding rapidly!

Dealer told us Fri. 7/13/2012, now 750 rack & pinion assemblies on back-order. Looks like the scope of this problem is expanding rapidly!
I still find it odd that a sudden loss of steering is related to the rack and pinion assembly. I still think it is an electrical problem. Why else would most people be able to recover their steering by switching the vehicle off and back on?? :scratch:

Peter

The more I'm learning about this, apparently the electronic control unit for the EPAS is integral with the rack & pinion assembly. That's why by replacing the rack & pinion, you're also replacing the apparent problem-child: the electrical control unit.

Maybe Cory can help out with this. Are we on the right track?

Fyi

The steering unit (rack and pinion) is all one unit including the electronic control module. After going out twice and much discussion, mine was finally replaced. In less than 2000 miles, it has gone out again twice in one day. Fortunately we took pictures with the mileage showing. Ford has an engineer coming to check it out. We all wish there was a clear understanding of the problem, but.....

It says on the invoice:...
Thanks for taking the time to post, willied.

I’m sure you’re glad to have your ride back, AJGROGG. :)

...Ford took care of me, even though we were without our Explorer for 3 weeks, I don't think anything could have been handled better...
It’s good you were taken care of, mbowsher!

...The part was supposed to be here on Thursday and it is now Friday and they say check back Monday. I'll keep you posted on how long this takes and what had to be done to fix it...
TigerWebb30,

I want to offer my help by arranging a call from the Customer Service Manager for your area. For me to do this, please send a PM with your contact information, approximate mileage, dealer name/state, and VIN.

...The service writer was familiar with the issue but said it would probably be 6 to 8 weeks before they could get the needed part......BUMMER! They could not have been nicer at the dealership, and did put me in a rental unit, but the wait time for the parts seems to be ridiculous...
I see your PM in my inbox, HunterL. I’ll reply within a day or so.

...Cory, thanks for helping the way you are. I'll PM you with the details for this case.
You’re welcome, controlfreak; thanks for the heads up. Expect a reply from me in the next two days.

...In less than 2000 miles, it has gone out again twice in one day. Fortunately we took pictures with the mileage showing. Ford has an engineer coming to check it out...
dallasdog,

I still have your details from previous messages, so drop me a line with your current mileage and I’m happy to set up a follow-up call.

Cory

2011 explorer steering

Wife had it happen to her also-going around a curve-said very hard to control-shut off and restarted and drove home OK. Took to dealership and were told new steering parts backordered. We have talked with service manager half a dozen times since. On Friday-he called and Ford could not provide him with an exact date for parts-anticipated mid August. Went in and talked with business manager-told him our cars never sit ouside-let alone a month and a half if August delivery. Went yesterday and took most of our gear out of unit. Told them this morning I wanted a plan-did not really want unit back if it had to sit outside that long in 100 degree heat-had already melted some things inside. They have now said will get with Ford district rep and see what could be done. Not sure I want another explorer! I told him I have a hard time with Ford building Explorer's every day but cannot furnish same part being put on at assembly-Typical-do not want to slow down production line-instead have someone get hurt.:thumbdwn:

Welcome to the forum, Clotagames! :)

Make sure you go to the NHTSA site and fill out the report. Takes very little time. Also PM your info to Cory @ Ford. You'll find his link just a few posts back up the thread. He's trying his best to help everybody with this issue.

You're right. This has to be fixed before somebody gets killed!

Wife had it happen to her also-going around a curve-said very hard to control-shut off and restarted and drove home OK. Took to dealership and were told new steering parts backordered. We have talked with service manager half a dozen times since. On Friday-he called and Ford could not provide him with an exact date for parts-anticipated mid August. Went in and talked with business manager-told him our cars never sit ouside-let alone a month and a half if August delivery. Went yesterday and took most of our gear out of unit. Told them this morning I wanted a plan-did not really want unit back if it had to sit outside that long in 100 degree heat-had already melted some things inside. They have now said will get with Ford district rep and see what could be done. Not sure I want another explorer! I told him I have a hard time with Ford building Explorer's every day but cannot furnish same part being put on at assembly-Typical-do not want to slow down production line-instead have someone get hurt.:thumbdwn:
Welcome aboard CLOTAGAMES. :wavey:
As controlfreak point out, you should fill out the form regarding a complaint about this issue.
The link is located in the Sticky at the beginning of this forum and I also pasted it in a reply in this thread to HunterL.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...They have now said will get with Ford district rep and see what could be done...
CLOTAGAMES,

I want to help with resolving your concern by setting up a call from your regional Customer Service Manager. Please send me a PM with your contact information, VIN, dealer details, and approximate mileage.

...Also PM your info to Cory @ Ford. You'll find his link just a few posts back up the thread. He's trying his best to help everybody with this issue...
Welcome aboard CLOTAGAMES. :wavey:...
controlfreak & Peter,

Thanks again for all your help, guys; it’s hugely appreciated.

Cory

Back