2011 - 2018 Explorer Power Steering Issue | Page 29 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

It has been a while since I posted about the power steering failure in my 14, 000 mi. 2011 Ford Explorer. My local dealer did replace the entire steering rack over a period of a week. The problem was, however, that I could not get past my fear that the problem would return--which really impacted any pleasure I felt in this vehicle.

In the end, I traded it in for a 2013 Toyota Venza which had most of the features I liked about the Explorer. It was a return to our previous history of choosing imports.
Now that I read on this thread that the same problem has popped up on the 2013 models, I'm content that I made this move. Sorry, Ford--we liked that you didn't take the government subsidies 4 years ago, but this problem deserved a recall so that owners could feel secure about their vehicles.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A Venza? Those things are hard on the eyes. :D

...Now I am sitting in my hotel room, typing this and trying to decide which dealership to take it to in the morning. It sounds like it may not be fixed for weeks...

Hi Foxriv,

Do you have any updates to share regarding the status of your Explorer? If you still need assistance, feel free to reach out to me via PM. I'll need your VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name. If you'd prefer, you can also contact our Customer Relationship Center at 1-800-392-3673.

Crystal

Power Steering loss

This just happened to me this past weekend. My 2011 lost power steering, gave the power steering assist error and service advancetrac error. Luckily we were on a straight highway and pulled over (through very difficult) and shut off the vehicle and restarted it which seemed to correct it. This is very nerve-wracking wondering it could happen again. I called our dealer and was told there was nothing they could do unless they could replicate it. I am almost out of warranty and know it's a pricey fix so I was hoping for any advice of how to get it taken care of before it happens again.

Thank you

This just happened to me this past weekend. My 2011 lost power steering, gave the power steering assist error and service advancetrac error. Luckily we were on a straight highway and pulled over (through very difficult) and shut off the vehicle and restarted it which seemed to correct it. This is very nerve-wracking wondering it could happen again. I called our dealer and was told there was nothing they could do unless they could replicate it. I am almost out of warranty and know it's a pricey fix so I was hoping for any advice of how to get it taken care of before it happens again.

Thank you
Although it is too late now, if it should happen again, try running a vehicle health report before shutting it off. Also if you are able, take a picture of the warning on the screen. Not sure if the incident stored an error code in your system that the dealer can access.
Another thing you should do is file a report with the NHTSA using the link provided in earlier posts.
You can also send a PM (Private Message) to the Ford reps that monitor this forum. They will require your VIN, dealer name, mileage, your name and contact info.
Good luck.

Peter

The Ford Fix

I just got my 2011 Explorer back last week. I took it to the dealer after a similar event (see my post on 5/22) and even though the adviser claimed he didn't know what I was talking about as far as the power steering issues they replaced the steering gear assembly. This was my 3rd trip to a Ford Dealer. The other dealer in the valley couldn't find anything wrong. I had also emailed the Ford adviser a few of the posts from this forum. Due to the fact that my Ford was under 36k miles it was covered under warranty.

When the issue would happen to me the power steering would lock and the car would completely turn itself off! Placing the car in park and restarting it worked every time....but it is very scary.

Good Luck!

Hello all. I found this thread after experiencing the same problems with my Wife's 2012 Explorer that many of you were discussing on here.
I was driving at a Slow speed in parking lot, bells and whistles on dashboard went on and I lost all power steering. Which in reality, is the same as losing all steering. It was almost impossible to drive. After muscling the truck back home with my 18 month old in the back I called my wife to let her know what happened. She chooses then to tell me it's happened to her twice before and restarting the truck fixes the problem. (Wish I knew that before the workout I got driving it back home). So after seeing these posts, I call the dealer to make an appt .......
True story, as I pull into the dealers lot it happens again!! Perfect! Left it running, brought service writer outside so he could confirm the problem exists. He acts dumbfounded but I could clearly tell he knew exactly what it was. I made sure to tell him I researched this problem online (Thanks to you guys/gals) and that I know it's the steering rack that's causing the problem. (They love hearing that haha).
So he takes the truck in and I await the call. Sure enough, he calls me and says they looked into it and its definitely the steering rack that needs replacing. Before I can ask how long it will take, he starts asking about some scuff marks on the wheel and if we've ever hit a curb with the truck because that would cause this problem. Hahahah.
After literally laughing at him on the phone I explained to him that I'm well aware that its been an ongoing problem with the 11,12 Explorers and it not from rubbing a curb while parking. He then pulls the old "Ok, let me go talk to my manager" routine. He gets back on the phone a minute later and says "Ok, we're going to do you a solid because you're a good customer and replace the steering rack for free". Hahahaha I couldn't believe the nerve of this guy.
Anyway, I explained to him that he's not doing it because I'm a good customer, btw this is the first truck we've purchased there lol. He's doing it because its a defect and is covered under the warranty. Brought the truck in Tuesday, it was ready today. (Friday). So far so good. Ill update on whether or not it happens again. Interesting side note.. When I picked up the truck I asked "Is this the first explorer you've had come in with this problem?" He replied "No, this is like my fourth". UGH!!! Yet he still tried to play dumb when I initially brought it in!
Some advise: When it happens, take a picture of the dashboard when those messages pop up. Also, DO NOT let them accuse you of doing anything to cause the problem. They know damn well 99% of cars on the road have at least a scuff or two on the wheels. And let them know you've done your own research on the problem. The minute I mentioned this sight and the info on here his tone changed immediately. Good Luck.
PS: I absolutely love this truck. I hope it's fixed for good.

Hello all. I found this thread after experiencing the same problems with my Wife's 2012 Explorer that many of you were discussing on here.
I was driving at a Slow speed in parking lot, bells and whistles on dashboard went on and I lost all power steering. Which in reality, is the same as losing all steering. It was almost impossible to drive. After muscling the truck back home with my 18 month old in the back I called my wife to let her know what happened. She chooses then to tell me it's happened to her twice before and restarting the truck fixes the problem. (Wish I knew that before the workout I got driving it back home). So after seeing these posts, I call the dealer to make an appt .......
True story, as I pull into the dealers lot it happens again!! Perfect! Left it running, brought service writer outside so he could confirm the problem exists. He acts dumbfounded but I could clearly tell he knew exactly what it was. I made sure to tell him I researched this problem online (Thanks to you guys/gals) and that I know it's the steering rack that's causing the problem. (They love hearing that haha).
So he takes the truck in and I await the call. Sure enough, he calls me and says they looked into it and its definitely the steering rack that needs replacing. Before I can ask how long it will take, he starts asking about some scuff marks on the wheel and if we've ever hit a curb with the truck because that would cause this problem. Hahahah.
After literally laughing at him on the phone I explained to him that I'm well aware that its been an ongoing problem with the 11,12 Explorers and it not from rubbing a curb while parking. He then pulls the old "Ok, let me go talk to my manager" routine. He gets back on the phone a minute later and says "Ok, we're going to do you a solid because you're a good customer and replace the steering rack for free". Hahahaha I couldn't believe the nerve of this guy.
Anyway, I explained to him that he's not doing it because I'm a good customer, btw this is the first truck we've purchased there lol. He's doing it because its a defect and is covered under the warranty. Brought the truck in Tuesday, it was ready today. (Friday). So far so good. Ill update on whether or not it happens again. Interesting side note.. When I picked up the truck I asked "Is this the first explorer you've had come in with this problem?" He replied "No, this is like my fourth". UGH!!! Yet he still tried to play dumb when I initially brought it in!
Some advise: When it happens, take a picture of the dashboard when those messages pop up. Also, DO NOT let them accuse you of doing anything to cause the problem. They know damn well 99% of cars on the road have at least a scuff or two on the wheels. And let them know you've done your own research on the problem. The minute I mentioned this sight and the info on here his tone changed immediately. Good Luck.
PS: I absolutely love this truck. I hope it's fixed for good.
Welcome to the Forum Finest9092.:wavey:
Glad to see that you got the problem fixed. If you haven't already, it would be a very good idea to report your loss of steering to the NHTSA using the link supplied in some of the previous posts. Ford doesn't recognize this as a safety issue so if more complaints are received perhaps they will be forced to address this ongoing problem.
Good luck and thanks for posting.:thumbsup:

Peter

I received this in an email yesterday. We lemon lawed our 2011 for a 2013 Explorer. But I thought I would share it. The attachment is 3.2mb long so I cant post it.

Thank you for filing a complaint with the NHTSA concerning the failure of your Electric Power Assisted Steering (EPAS) in your Explorer. This investigation is ongoing and reports like yours are very important to Us. I have reviewed your complaint and would like the following information if it can be provided:

1) Your vehicle identification number (VIN was missing from the complaint you filed)

2) Has the EPAS system been diagnosed by your dealer or already repaired?
3) If it has been sometime since your vehicle was repaired has the EPAS been working properly, and how long, how many miles since repaired?

Thank you in advance, I have attached a copy of Ford’s response letter for your review.

Chris Lash
Safety Defects Engineer
National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
Office of Defects Investigation

Direct 202-366-2370
Fax 202-366-1767
chris.lash@dot.gov

+1 if Ford is counting

Happened to me today on my 2012 limited. Power assist fault, Service AdvanceTrac, Terrain Management System Fault. As others have posted it is extremely hard to steer and very dangerous.

Do ex's with the automatic parking have a different steering rack? Should people with auto parking be worried? Sorry if this was already addressed.

Do ex's with the automatic parking have a different steering rack? Should people with auto parking be worried? Sorry if this was already addressed.
That's a good point. I don't believe that was ever discussed.

Peter

That's a good point. I don't believe that was ever discussed.

Peter

That's an interesting theory. I had a 2010 Flex with auto park that had the steering rack changed twice. My 2013 explorer limited made in December 2012 with auto park had the steering rack changed after only 800 kms.

I don't know if the steering rack is different, but my EX has had the rack fail and be replaced twice and still has electronic anomalies.

I don't know if the steering rack is different, but my EX has had the rack fail and be replaced twice and still has electronic anomalies.
I take it that you have the Active Park Assist?

Peter

Mine did not have parking assist and the power steering failed. Probably the same steering rack.

Ditto

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Advancetrac Failure

I bought my 2011 explorer used a month ago, my first Ford ever after 7 chevys might I add, and I had to go reset my ford sync because it completely froze and now I have had the advance trac failure message. $1900.00 will fix the problem which is a bad gear in the steering column. I thought ford was turning over a new leaf but this is just reiterating the reasons of why i stayed away from ford. I know that the National Highway Traffic Safety Association is investigating this issue. Sorry to say if ford doesnt take care of this issue than i am done with ford for good. I love my explorer but if its going to be at the dealer all the time or be a safety risk to my family then I will be returning to Chevy. I hope this can shed some light on this issue for any current explorer forums and i urge you to go http://www.nhtsa.gov and file a report if you have had this issue to help get the gear recalled and hold Ford accountable.

Back