Uncomfortable front seats | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Uncomfortable front seats

mikeb87

Reaction score
My wife & I had been awaiting the arrival of the '11 Explorer & went & test-drove one this week (Limited). We were very disappointed with the comfort of the front seats.

The front portion of the seat has an elevated ridge in the middle of the seat (the edges drop off). The seams from the seat tend to rub on the bottom of the legs (not sure that this design would be very comfortable during long rides). The design seems to limit the range of motion (ie.. legs together / legs apart).

We were disappointed that the Explorer didn't leverage the Flex seats which are some of the most comfortable that we have ever sat in.

Any idea as to why the front seats are designed as they are ?? I haven't seen similar designs in other "luxury" cars.

Thanks. Mike

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Odd. I don't have any issue with a seam rubbing. I also find the seats quite comfortable.

Unfortunately, there is no universal definition of comfort. They work great for me.

Interesting. I think of all the reviews of the seating I've only heard something similar in one of them (posted here maybe) and it had to do with stitching in the seats.

Everywhere else the seats are said to be very comfortable, and I just read a new review online that said the following -

The Explorer has unique seats with additional back and thigh bolstering, and these thrones are absolutely delightful to sit on.

Review is here, for those who can't read enough while waiting for their X >>>
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/national/1196584-2011-ford-explorer-limited-4wd-ride-report-review.html

I think that the seats would be okay for shorter folks (could perhaps sit with legs relatively close together), but for taller folks (I'm about 6'), the seats are not comfortable (esp compared to my F250 or to the Flex).

For those that haven't seen a close-up of the seat design, there's a good photo in the post above (review link). Mike

I think that the seats would be okay for shorter folks (could perhaps sit with legs relatively close together), but for taller folks (I'm about 6'), the seats are not comfortable (esp compared to my F250 or to the Flex).

For those that haven't seen a close-up of the seat design, there's a good photo in the post above (review link). Mike

Well, I am about two inches taller than you. Pretty sure it boils down to personal preference. I personally like that they went less "couch like" with the seating and firmer.

I'm 6'1 and I find them very comfortable. It may be how you had it adjusted. I've had an 05 SuperCrew Lariat with leather seats and find these far superior to the F-150's.

I am not 6' however have never had one of my passengers complain about the seats. Our first weekend we did a 1500 mile trip (round trip) and can honestly say it's the most comfortable ride I've ever owned. Did you try adjusting the seats at all? You can tilt the front and raise the back, maybe they were just at an awkward angle for you?

Thanks for the feedback all. It just seems that the front seat (with the raised middle section on the front part of the cushion) was a bit over-engineered.

Mike

Maybe just a one-off bad seat? Might be worth checking another X if you can find out. You always have to leave room for some small % of vehicles that will have some kind of defect.

6'2"
204 pounds
4.30 40 yards (back in the day!)
Seats are great. Better than my 2007 Eddie Bauer. I've done several 4+ hour drives. Good-to-go.

6'2"
204 pounds
4.30 40 yards (back in the day!)
Seats are great. Better than my 2007 Eddie Bauer. I've done several 4+ hour drives. Good-to-go.

Wow. you would be one of the top 10 fastest players in the NFL today. What happened?

I purchased my 2013 Ford Explorer Limited new. I'm 6 foot 5 inches tall and with the center consoles in most of the vehicles these days, I sat in many of them to make sure my right knee was not pinned again the center console and I would be able to be comfortable driving the vehicle.
After testing many SUVs, the Ford Explorer was the best for that attribute. The seats are short, not very comfortable and leave a lot to be desired though. I really still like my Explorer, except for the bad seats!

I purchased my 2013 Ford Explorer Limited new. I'm 6 foot 5 inches tall and with the center consoles in most of the vehicles these days, I sat in many of them to make sure my right knee was not pinned again the center console and I would be able to be comfortable driving the vehicle.
After testing many SUVs, the Ford Explorer was the best for that attribute. The seats are short, not very comfortable and leave a lot to be desired though. I really still like my Explorer, except for the bad seats!
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Having just come from a 2014 Lincoln MKT one of the first things I noticed was that the seating was not as comfortable. My issue is with the seemingly short seating pad and lack of upper leg support. Never noticed it in my previous 2011 Limited. Perhaps having the vehicle for only a week it may just be something to get used to or play around with the adjustments some more.

Peter

Having just come from a 2014 Lincoln MKT one of the first things I noticed was that the seating was not as comfortable. My issue is with the seemingly short seating pad and lack of upper leg support. Never noticed it in my previous 2011 Limited. Perhaps having the vehicle for only a week it may just be something to get used to or play around with the adjustments some more.

Peter
Thank you for your commentary. I'm presently getting ready to go look at the Lincoln MKX with the 22 way power seats. Maybe that will be a better choice for me, as long as my right knee isn't pinned up against the center console. I'll keep my fingers crossed!

Thank you for your commentary. I'm presently getting ready to go look at the Lincoln MKX with the 22 way power seats. Maybe that will be a better choice for me, as long as my right knee isn't pinned up against the center console. I'll keep my fingers crossed!
The 2017 MKX has just gone into production.

The 22 way seats in the MKX are amazing! Worth every penny, to me they are one of the most comfortable seats I've ever sat in.

Have had my 2017 explorer limited for a couple of months. Have the 301A package with the massaging seats. The front seats are extremely uncomfortable. Love the vehicle but I have to find a bandaid to the drivers seat. I am an average size person. Never had seat comfort issues before.
Any suggestions? The chiropracter I have had to start seeing loved the fact I bought this new vehicle. :(

Have had my 2017 explorer limited for a couple of months. Have the 301A package with the massaging seats. The front seats are extremely uncomfortable. Love the vehicle but I have to find a bandaid to the drivers seat. I am an average size person. Never had seat comfort issues before.
Any suggestions? The chiropracter I have had to start seeing loved the fact I bought this new vehicle. :(
I've had my Platinum 3 weeks and am just getting a bit more comfortable in the seat. I made a few adjustments and that also seems to have help a little to the point where it isn't always on my mind.
Please add the trim (Limited) to your profile so that it shows in the margin. That info could at times help when members reply to certain future posts. Thanks.

Peter

I have noticed a difference between the cooled limited and not cooled XLT seats. The XLT seats have more cushioning in them and ride softer. The limited seats because they are ventilated have less cushioning in them. The seats are a little short and skinny I have A 2015 F150 and the seats are really large. The seat seams to set deep in the back. Tilted or lower in the back, even with the front all the way down. I unbolted the back rail of the seat and put washers under it and raised it up 1". Seams more comfortable to be now.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have noticed a difference between the cooled limited and not cooled XLT seats. The XLT seats have more cushioning in them and ride softer. The limited seats because they are ventilated have less cushioning in them. The seats are a little short and skinny I have A 2015 F150 and the seats are really large. The seat seams to set deep in the back. Tilted or lower in the back, even with the front all the way down. I unbolted the back rail of the seat and put washers under it and raised it up 1". Seams more comfortable to be now.

Construction of the 2017 seat is completely different from the 2011.

Back