"NAV SD Card Fault" | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

"NAV SD Card Fault"

Well, it's my turn with this problem. I'm at 36,500 miles on our '15, and have been getting the SD Card Fault error for the past week. Is Ford going to cover this since it's a known problem and I'm barely out of the warrantly mileage? Is the problem just that the cards go bad, or is the nav system crapping out?
Just because it's a "known problem" doesn't mean it will be covered by Ford. Whether they will cover it being just outside of the warranty is really up to Ford.
See post #101 for more info. Good luck.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, it's my turn with this problem. I'm at 36,500 miles on our '15, and have been getting the SD Card Fault error for the past week. Is Ford going to cover this since it's a known problem and I'm barely out of the warrantly mileage? Is the problem just that the cards go bad, or is the nav system crapping out?

After dealing with the issue for a couple of months, I decided to go the "feigned ignorance" route and just called the dealer that I have been getting service from and just mentioned "Hey, I'm getting this error, not sure what the problem is". They scheduled an appointment, I went in, they had the car for about 15 minutes and said I was all good to go. I suspect they just changed out the faulty card for a new one but my wife mostly drives the car and I keep forgetting to check. When she gets home tonight, I'll see what card they replaced it with.

I'd left the car last night, and they called around 7:30 to tell me it's out of warranty, so I'm out of luck with the dealership just tossing in a new card. We have a warranty from Century (dealership sold us this instead of one from Ford for some reason), so I should be covered. I was just hoping it could be handled by Ford.

I'd left the car last night, and they called around 7:30 to tell me it's out of warranty, so I'm out of luck with the dealership just tossing in a new card. We have a warranty from Century (dealership sold us this instead of one from Ford for some reason), so I should be covered. I was just hoping it could be handled by Ford.

I would say buy a card from Amazon, and try it. This may save you having to deal with anyone else. This solved my problem. The hub was replaced but didn't solve it. Ford told me that the SD card was not covered under warranty because it was third party software (this is in the book, too)

I would say buy a card from Amazon, and try it. This may save you having to deal with anyone else. This solved my problem. The hub was replaced but didn't solve it. Ford told me that the SD card was not covered under warranty because it was third party software (this is in the book, too)

Exactly, which is kinda BS because that would be like Honda saying "we aren't covering the millions of airbag recalls because they were made by a 3rd party, Takata. I'm happy that my dealer replaced mine without any fuss but I also know it's probably a ticking clock until this one becomes useless as well. Ford should hold their manufacturers accountable by offering free replacement and rethinking their partnership with the SD card maker.

Exactly, which is kinda BS because that would be like Honda saying "we aren't covering the millions of airbag recalls because they were made by a 3rd party, Takata. I'm happy that my dealer replaced mine without any fuss but I also know it's probably a ticking clock until this one becomes useless as well. Ford should hold their manufacturers accountable by offering free replacement and rethinking their partnership with the SD card maker.

I know, I know. But technically that's what you agree when buying the vehicle. I was also pissed, but honestly I barely deal with dealer. This Explorer went back to the dealership than all my previous cars combined. Software is different than actual parts. A lot of proprietary info, testing can be hard and costly. So Ford probably just makes sure that it works but doesn't go line by line.
Also the card is outdated already when you bought the vehicle.... I have another new car with Android Auto.. Love it!

Just an update, re: the Nav SD card fault. I replaced the A6 with an A8, and I have not had the fault message recur,. It's been over two months now, so hopefully that's the end of it.

HOWEVER, the A8 card (at the time I bought it, the latest version the dealer had, but I don't know if that's still the case....) strangely is not up to date with recent road and highway changes here in the Northeast, some of them dating back to mid-2016...ie, an SD card purchased in July 2017 still shows well-obsolete road and highway configurations. I don't expect the moon, but a $100 nav card purchased this summer is almost a year behind the times?

Just an update, re: the Nav SD card fault. I replaced the A6 with an A8, and I have not had the fault message recur,. It's been over two months now, so hopefully that's the end of it.

HOWEVER, the A8 card (at the time I bought it, the latest version the dealer had, but I don't know if that's still the case....) strangely is not up to date with recent road and highway changes here in the Northeast, some of them dating back to mid-2016...ie, an SD card purchased in July 2017 still shows well-obsolete road and highway configurations. I don't expect the moon, but a $100 nav card purchased this summer is almost a year behind the times?
I believe there is a post that indicated it takes a year + to update a new navigation card.

Peter

I believe there is a post that indicated it takes a year + to update a new navigation card.

Peter
Thank you. I hadn't see that. That would explain it, I guess.

As an update to this thread, I've been getting the Nav SD Card Fault for a few months. I have a 2015 Explorer Limited. I would reset the card and the fault would go away. Then my USB connection started going out. I thought I had a short in the cable so I replaced it with a new cable, which would work for a bit, but then it would go out again. Both functions would be restored if I turned the car off; made sure auxiliary power was off and then turned the car back on. That brought me to this forum which gave me the idea that my media hub was bad. So I took it into the dealer and for the $100 deductible on the ESP they replaced the media hub saying they found faults with the hub that was in the car. Great, problem solved...not. Less than a week later the USB goes out again...and again...and again. Then I start getting the Nav SD Card fault again. So back to the dealership it goes. Today they are saying that the USB isn't supposed to be used to charge the phone just to connect the phone to the media hub (huh?). But even if that is the case the connection is still failing to play music from my phone. They attribute this to the fact that I have an iPhone and was not using an iPhone cable (which I was initially. That's what I thought had the short in it). Also, the reason I'm getting the Nav SD Card Fault is because I have an old SD card.

Needless to say I'm frustrated.

As an aside, Apple CarPlay has never worked in my Explorer because I guess they didn't support it until the more recent models (2016, 2017). Recently I held the "speak" button for longer than usual and instead of the Sync lady's voice I got Siri so I guess CarPlay is now working. Odd.

Welcome to the Forum maryclover.:wave:
I believe they put USB chargers in starting with the 2016 model year.

Peter

As an update to this thread, I've been getting the Nav SD Card Fault for a few months. I have a 2015 Explorer Limited. I would reset the card and the fault would go away. Then my USB connection started going out. I thought I had a short in the cable so I replaced it with a new cable, which would work for a bit, but then it would go out again. Both functions would be restored if I turned the car off; made sure auxiliary power was off and then turned the car back on. That brought me to this forum which gave me the idea that my media hub was bad. So I took it into the dealer and for the $100 deductible on the ESP they replaced the media hub saying they found faults with the hub that was in the car. Great, problem solved...not. Less than a week later the USB goes out again...and again...and again. Then I start getting the Nav SD Card fault again. So back to the dealership it goes. Today they are saying that the USB isn't supposed to be used to charge the phone just to connect the phone to the media hub (huh?). But even if that is the case the connection is still failing to play music from my phone. They attribute this to the fact that I have an iPhone and was not using an iPhone cable (which I was initially. That's what I thought had the short in it). Also, the reason I'm getting the Nav SD Card Fault is because I have an old SD card.

Needless to say I'm frustrated.

As an aside, Apple CarPlay has never worked in my Explorer because I guess they didn't support it until the more recent models (2016, 2017). Recently I held the "speak" button for longer than usual and instead of the Sync lady's voice I got Siri so I guess CarPlay is now working. Odd.

You said you replaced the USB cable...do you mean the usb to phone cable or the USB cable from the APIM to the Media hub?

1st thing you should be doing is not letting your phone pair and not plug it into the vehicle at all. Eliminate all "aftermarket" connections as a possible source of the issue. If it works fine then you know the fault is a problem with interfacing to your equipment. If it is doing it without your stuff hooked up then you know its a vehicle problem. If its a vehicle problem and they have already changed the media bay I would suspect the problem is the APIM.

You don't have CarPlay...you have Siri Hands Free.

You said you replaced the USB cable...do you mean the usb to phone cable or the USB cable from the APIM to the Media hub?

1st thing you should be doing is not letting your phone pair and not plug it into the vehicle at all. Eliminate all "aftermarket" connections as a possible source of the issue. If it works fine then you know the fault is a problem with interfacing to your equipment. If it is doing it without your stuff hooked up then you know its a vehicle problem. If its a vehicle problem and they have already changed the media bay I would suspect the problem is the APIM.

You don't have CarPlay...you have Siri Hands Free.

Thanks Jason. Picked it up last night so we will see if it happens again. As a test I’m charging the phone through the 12v connection and playing music through Bluetooth to see if I’m still getting the NAV SD error. I had changed the USB cable from hub to phone. They did run tests on the APIM and said it was fine.

This has happened to me in all the three Ford’s that I had/have. It always happens towards the end of my lease after my warranty has expired. I have six months left on my lease and I think I won’t be getting another Ford after this.
Rebecca, can something be done about this?

This has happened to me in all the three Ford’s that I had/have. It always happens towards the end of my lease after my warranty has expired. I have six months left on my lease and I think I won’t be getting another Ford after this.
Rebecca, can something be done about this?
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
I haven't experienced this fault in the ones I've leased. BTW, Rebecca and the other Ford reps haven't been here for a couple years. You can try using the contact info on her previous posts.

Peter

Thank you Peter. Will do.

SD card fault 2016 Explorer

we have had this error message pop up since we have owned the car, almost 2 years. I have had it in the dealership at least 4-5x where they have replaced the APIM twice, tried a new SD card, cleaned off wires, replaced fuses. The error message doesn’t pop up for a few months, then it’s back again.
We just got the car back 2 weeks ago and the message has popped up twice since then. It’s random and you can’t fix it unless you turn the car off and wait a minute or so and start the car back up! Not good when you are traveling and trying to use the navigation system :(
I love our explorer but this issue is becoming a real annoyance! Would this qualify for Lemon Law since it’s been in the shop so many times for the same issue?

^^^ Your thread was merged with this one on the same issue. Perhaps there is some info here that may be of help.

Peter

Back