How many miles will an explorer go for? | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How many miles will an explorer go for?

I'm at 185,000 on a 2004 XLT with 4.6. It blew an engine at 150K but I attribute that to lack of oil changes by the previous owner.
second engine now has about 130K (we bought it used)
window motors, one alternator and one starter the only problems we've had in 60,000 hard miles.

Yes, the Japanese probably have a better record for delivering 200,000 miles without drama but do they make a body on frame truck with this much capacity?

Except that Expedition is considered the longest running vehicle as of now.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

my 02 mounty is at 181k, viscous coupler is showing signs of needing replacement.. thinking of converting it to a non viscous coupler.
I was even surprised with my friends 03 mounty that has no preventive maintenance and still doing well at 188k (his maintenance is when it breaks down time to fix it)
@lincolnshibuya
Please explain what you would replace the viscous coupler with? Standard, manual transfer case? The type used with electronic clutch must have inputs from PCM, which derives them from wheel speed sensors, so, different PCM? imp

Lucas power steering stop leak took care of my power steering fluid leak. Worth its weight in gold!
I tried the Lucas and put 3 bottles through the system before I changed out the rack.

I had a 2002 xls previous to my truck now, it got to 238k miles when I smashed in the front end in an accident. When i went to visit the explorer at the tow yard to get my belongings out of it the next day i had a spare key with me and it started up and it ran just fine.

Bummer XLTyler83! Almost 2 years ago my daughter clipped a tree with my 03 explorer. The impact was on the left front light, but did not set off the airbags. I just went to the salvage yard and found a 02 with a good front end and collected a replacement hood, grill, bumper, bumper cover, header panel, lights, and left front quarter panel for $300 and swapped out all of the damaged parts. It not a perfect color match, but it does reminder her to pay attention to her driving. The vehicle is now at 226K miles.

Almost 275000 on my 2002 mountaineer...
Been in the transmission a couple times last two years for solenoid pack and junk yard transfer case. But hoping to go one more winter since I have a mustang I drive in the summer...

Mine is still going at 219,000 miles. I'm having to deal with a P0430 code though. This is either gonna be some 02 sensors, or catalytic converter. But in my experience with Fords, and this doesn't just apply to the Explorer. Just Ford in general. I've gone through several Mustangs in my life as well. The engines run forever. What usually gets me is the transmissions after they get high mileage. Especially automatics. The manuals seem to last me a bit longer. And they're cheaper to fix too. But automatics, yeah you start getting some super high miles and it goes.

Haven't had issues with this Explorer's automatic 4x4 tranny yet. But I bought it at 214,000 miles from a used dealer. I have no clue if the tranny had ever seen a rebuild/replace or not yet. I just know it's not screwing with me right now.

i have a 2002 4.0 mountaineer my son took over about three years ago that has 140,000 on it my wife has 2004 mountaineer 4.6 with 230,000 miles and my 05 mountaineer 4.6 with 175,000 all have been treating me well,always change all 4 tires at the same time.

Wow--three third-gen's in one family, all over 100k miles (and one over 200k)!
i have a 2002 4.0 mountaineer my son took over about three years ago that has 140,000 on it my wife has 2004 mountaineer 4.6 with 230,000 miles and my 05 mountaineer 4.6 with 175,000 all have been treating me well,always change all 4 tires at the same time.
Wow--three third-gen's in one family, all over 100k miles, and one over 200k miles!

Wow--three third-gen's in one family, all over 100k miles (and one over 200k)!

Wow--three third-gen's in one family, all over 100k miles, and one over 200k miles!
My oldest son is in the marine corps stationed in honolulu,he bought a 99 mountaineer out there,with 200,000+ miles on it. The 04 and 05 were fleet vehicles leased till close to 100,000.bought the 05 in 2012 with every scheduled maintenance receipt in the glove box.

My oldest son is in the marine corps stationed in honolulu,he bought a 99 mountaineer out there,with 200,000+ miles on it. The 04 and 05 were fleet vehicles leased till close to 100,000.bought the 05 in 2012 with every scheduled maintenance receipt in the glove box.
@07gtman
Evidently a common family thing. My Nephew in the Corps is stationed in Japan, left much of his belongings with me, a '93 Cobra up on blocks (was mine) in Kansas, bought 2 vehicles overseas, what, I don't know. He left his wife's folks home in St. Louis towing a trailered '65 Galaxie he had bought from his FIL, got the trailer brushed by a semi trailer, jack-knifed and totalled his '12 Chevy pickup, the trailer, and the Galaxie, enroute to my place in AZ. I am repairing the Galaxie. Chev, trailer, and Ford all "totalled" by insurance co. Bad scene. He took it better than I did. imp

@07gtman
Evidently a common family thing. My Nephew in the Corps is stationed in Japan, left much of his belongings with me, a '93 Cobra up on blocks (was mine) in Kansas, bought 2 vehicles overseas, what, I don't know. He left his wife's folks home in St. Louis towing a trailered '65 Galaxie he had bought from his FIL, got the trailer brushed by a semi trailer, jack-knifed and totalled his '12 Chevy pickup, the trailer, and the Galaxie, enroute to my place in AZ. I am repairing the Galaxie. Chev, trailer, and Ford all "totalled" by insurance co. Bad scene. He took it better than I did. imp
sorry to hear that,Hope no one was hurt..

My '05 is just getting broken in at 162K. 4.0L, nice and quiet. I only have it about a year, so I don't know about the maintenance history, but it looks like it was maintained fairly well. I do know that I'm owner #3. The second owner had it 4 years and drove it 120K according to Carfax. So far I've changed the solenoid pack in the trans, the rear diff, all 4 hubs and bearings, and I have Quick Struts and leveling blocks waiting to go in. Running on 265/75R16 tires. Not too bad for a free to me truck!

My 2005 4.0 4x4 is almost at 230,000 miles. I change the oil every 3,000 miles with conventional 5w30, and add the little bottle of STP treatment per change and have for about a year or longer when the chain noise was getting worse. Seems to delay the inevitable, along with changing oil every 3,000 or slightly before. I have been hearing timing chain noises for over a few years now. The transmission is a bit "wonky" now too, but has been for years as well. I baby her when driving it, and I think that helps too.

I'll be happy if the engine and/or transmission keep the vehicle on the road for the next 12 months. I plan on having a decent used engine dropped in her when she blows.

My 91 had 355,511 the day it got totaled and my 96 had 312,095 when I traded it in and it was still running strong. my 04 currently has 134,000

My 1994 XLT has 241,000 miles and still rolling. The Transfer case just refused to shift into 4 x 4, so it's going on the hoist later this month. Also, have a 2004 XLS that I just got rolling again. The problem with it was Cam Timing. The Right Cam was about 30 Crankshaft Degrees late! The previous owner said he never had a SES Light, so I'm concluding the Used Car Dealer he bought it from had jockeyed the software to prevent the MIL from illuminating. When I replaced the PCM, the MIL came on with a "Right Bank (#1) Too Rich" and Left Bank (#2) Too Lean". I hope this keeps running for a long time, as the design of this engine makes it a nightmare to work on! With timely oil changes and the proper oil, it should be able to crank out 200k with no problems.

My 1994 XLT has 241,000 miles and still rolling. The Transfer case just refused to shift into 4 x 4, so it's going on the hoist later this month. Also, have a 2004 XLS that I just got rolling again. The problem with it was Cam Timing. The Right Cam was about 30 Crankshaft Degrees late! The previous owner said he never had a SES Light, so I'm concluding the Used Car Dealer he bought it from had jockeyed the software to prevent the MIL from illuminating. When I replaced the PCM, the MIL came on with a "Right Bank (#1) Too Rich" and Left Bank (#2) Too Lean". I hope this keeps running for a long time, as the design of this engine makes it a nightmare to work on! With timely oil changes and the proper oil, it should be able to crank out 200k with no problems.
Seems to me there are only two good explanations for the timing of one bank to be out that much: a failed timing chain repair; or a failed timing chain and no repair. I hope it was the first, for your sake.

If it was really out 30 degree on this interference engine, I would suspect possible valve damage. Did you do a leak down test and/or compression test?

If there was no timing chain repair attempted and the timing was that much off, then you can have no confidence that simply by re-setting the timing you're good to go. What caused the timing to get out of wack in the first place? Bad guide that allowed one of the timing chains to slip a notch? Not good.

You guys give me hope. I have an '04 XLS with 129K on it. Just finishing up my tranny rebuilt as my overdrive planet exploded. Can't wait to get her back on the road for hopefully another 100K!

My Explorer is retired, so it only gets maybe 100 miles a month at this point. It has 228k with the original engine and tranny.....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I bought my 2002 EB 4.6 4x4 about 5 months ago with 246,000 miles. Unfortunately a lot of things were not quite as represented by the seller and it lived a hard life. Had to replace most of the A/C system, rebuild the transmission, and just installed a rebuilt motor due to rod knock. Spent a whole heck of a lot more than the vehicle is worth. But I just plain enjoy driving it! Hopefully with nearly everything rebuilt, I’ll get another 250K miles out it.

Back