supercharged 5.0 true fire 98 explorer sport | Page 124 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

supercharged 5.0 true fire 98 explorer sport

hi everyone, my name is tim . i live in selkirk, manitoba, canada and as if this date that i am posting this, i am 36 years old.

i bought my sport in jan 05 from a local ford dealer. it had 111,000KM's on it. this is the second sport i have owned. it was sitting on the lot for about 8 months before i came along. i am the third owner (i was able to track down the person that traded it in, and they got it from a friend, who bought it new in 98).

i started to do a few things to it after i first got it, then i found this site, and all hell broke lose! i've never been satisfied with something the everyone else has, so i started to tinker with it even more.

19_Medium_.jpg

15540626_10154060266577513_2405619719549828739_o.jpg

14242313_10153799452207513_5208987697549996496_o.jpg

50213558658671_547488670_7421875_7068292_n_Medium_.jpg

15_Medium_.jpg

evil_and_min_evil.jpg

DSC01337_Medium_.jpg

DSC01341_Medium_.jpg

DSC02874_Medium_.jpg

10660988_10152352316047513_1588917598_n.jpg

m122b.jpg

981349_256309931177894_674155846_o_1_Medium_.jpg

DSC04422_Medium_.jpg

mods include

interior

installed factory tilt, cruise, overhead console, auto dimming mirror, full length console, with a message center (it didn't have these from factory).

white face with blue flames indigo gauge covers (they light up blue)
blue l.e.d. everything
white l.e.d. interior lights
Kenwood DDX392 Touch Screen Head Unit
alpine 4 channel amp (all four speakers)
boston acoustic front and rear speakers
alpine mono amp (for sub)
2 12 inch jl audio subs
rockford fosgate cap
passenger side one touch window down mod.
custom transfer case shifter
tripple a pillar gauge pod, housing autometer boost, Innovate LC-1 wideband, and oil pressure gauge
12v power inverter with 120v plug in a 2 usb plugs built into the center console

exterior

BMW E46 projectors, mounted into stock housings using clear lens
6000K HID head lights
angel eye "driving" lights, with 8000k h.i.d.'s
clear parking/corner lights
billet grill (powder coated by Turdle)
blacked out ford emblems
custom front steel 95-98 bumper, with 4 inch round tubes welded in for driving lights
shaved radio antenna
shaved roof rack
black euro tall lights
l.e.d. license plate lights
smoked out 3rd break light
lund rear tailgate spoiler/wing (formally from the truck "blackjack" owned by EF member Spas)
hand made roll pan (made from 3 1/2 rear bumpers, with 1/4 inch diamond plate on the top, and it is removable)
aluminum T/A differential griddle/cover (powder coated by Turdle)
Motegi Mr107 20' rims
goodyear wrangler hp p245/50 r20
1 1/4 wheel spacer in the rear, 3/8 in front
and most noticeable, black with blue pearl paint, and blue true fire (ground effects are black with blue pearl as well)

Suspension

2 inch lowering blocks in the rear, reverse TT in the front (2 inch as well)
Explorer Express rear sway bar
4 door leaf springs
rancho rs9000 adjustable rear shocks
03-05 sport trac spindles with drilled and slotted rotors

performance

5L swap
347 stroker
TFS twisted wedge alum heads
comp gold 1.6 rockers
comp cams CCA-35-556-8 nitro cam
heavily modified edelbrock victor jr air gap intake (which serves as a valley pan now)
eaton m122 supercharger (metco 2.70 pulley, and ASP 8 rib 7 1/4 crank pulley) with custom made mount with bell intercooler core
8 rib serpentine belt conversion using pulleys from a 7.3 powerstroke
custom made 3 1/2 inch throttle body elbow
accufab 75mm throttle body
4 inch intake pipe
PMASS MH90 90mm Universal 3000 KG/HR MAF
amsoil cone filter
F.A.S.T. 60lb injectors
edelbrock fuel rails, trick flow specialties fuel pressure regulator with summit racing fuel pressure gauge
walbro 255lph fuel pump
1/2 inch steel braided fuel pressure line from tank to rail using 8AN fittings
torque monster headers
2 1/2 duel pipes with flowpro duel in and out 2 1/2 single muffler
accel extreme 9000 ceramic 45 degree plug wires with boot protectors
4R70W w/2600 stall with J mod
tuff stuff 200a alternator
tuning made possible with sct pro-racer package, and tuned with major help from member [MENTION=102869]Dono[/MENTION] and [MENTION=81804]4pointslow[/MENTION]
flex a lite duel 12 inch electric fans
big 3 upgrade (4 gauge wires)
meziere innercooler water pump
2 froozenboost innercooler rads

Transfer case

4406 manual shift from a 97 F150
modified stock trans cross member to accept 93 mustang 5L polyurethane tans mount
double cardan rear drive shaft

because of all the "fun" i had doing the bodywork, and some other things to my truck, i have nick named it "evil dora" or if you like, just plane "evil"!
and now the thank yous

my buddy gord leiss, who let this thing sit in his garage for 3 months while i did the body work to it. he also gave me a hand with some of the prep work, and painted it for me

kevin willson for doing the true fire http://affordableairbrushing.ca/

Joe Bukoski for letting me do the 5L/4406 swap in his garage

now people from this site, weather they knew it or not, they helped

BIG THANKS to tara a.k.a. explorersport77 for pictures of her truck. wouldn't been able to build the roll pan with out them!

ExplorerSport77's X "Hotness"

jon a.k.a. Turdle for selling me some real swanky rear shackles, as well as powder coating the diff cover and sending them up to canada. as well as much needed info on v8, and 4406 swaps as well as doing the grill and showing me how its done.

don aka dono for the help with the tuning, and wideband, as well as the supercharger

andy aka ahodges for some parts, and any help i needed for all the go faster goodies

5.0 swap - w/ 4406

jad2411 for finding me a link for my hidden antenna

ryan a.k.a. MustangP51 for doing his write up on making l.e.d.'s for interior lights, and how to make projectors

P51's HID Headlight (Projector) and Fog Conversion (PICS)

and N3ELZ cardomain page for L.E.D. switch and cruise pod mods

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/296394/2002-ford-ranger-regular-cab/page-6
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/296394/2002-ford-ranger-regular-cab/page-12
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/296394/2002-ford-ranger-regular-cab/page-23

bob a.k.a. rwenzing for showing me speedhut's sit for the gauges

Gauges, Custom Gauges, Tachometers, Speedometers, Shift Light, Pod

Buzz4x4 for his write up on blacking out ford emblems

How to Make Your Own Custom Ford Emblems

the late aldive for his write up on one touch down passengers window mod

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141027&highlight=touch+passengers+window+mod

BIG COUNTRY, for his write up on how to install a auto dimming mirror

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=84968

BIG COUNTRY, 98formulaLS1, and Ryon40 for there write ups on how to install a message center

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=225017&highlight=BIG+COUNTRY
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80670&highlight=message+center
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=245085&highlight=Ryon40

MountaineerGreen for his 4406 swap write up and "Custom" Driveshaft for a 4406 and 4" Superlift on the Cheap " (even tho its lowered

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=166726&highlight=awd+4x4+swap
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=185232

Simon, aka blueka for his "pickle" thread, and help anytime i picked the phone up the phone on the 5L swap

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=271813

Jon, aka 4pointslow for any MAJOR technical advice i have needed

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=219092

i wish i could find who did the write up on the overhead console install, but here is the link

http://www.explorer4x4.com/overhead.htm

Russ aka NICE59FORDF100 for his help on the wiring, and what to watch out for electronically.

hopefully one day, i will be able to help people on here just as much as the people that i have mentioned above!

picture.php

plus you know you have done something right when.....

your truck (as well as corkey) wins truck of the month

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums//showthread.php?t=296023

is the feature truck on the fun hump day radio show (starts roughly around the 30 min mark)

http://explorerforum.podbean.com/2011/03/23/19-vroom-zoomboom/

and you drive 26 hours ONE WAY to the carlisle all ford nationals in june 2010 and 2011, and grab second place in the s.u.v. all category!

scan00012.jpg

then in 2014 you go back to the same show you have been to 5 years in a row (nothing by most, but its one hell of a long drive) and take first!

scan00014.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

so finally after waiting 2 weeks i picked up the intake from the guy who welded it. i would have taken it to either dono's guy that he found to do alumn. or the guy that repaired the mount that is on the truck now, but my neighbour owed me a favour for doing some work on his truck and this was the guy he dropped it off to. not much of a favour return, i ended up paying for it, and waiting as long as i did but its back now, and in time for a inferno of a heat wave we have coming this week. looks like this will once again have to wait until the weekend when its cooler rather being able to work on it this past week when it was cool out.

38767260_632103307176756_6063948416939982848_n.jpg

38736434_304134836800854_7306890808278384640_n.jpg

38644336_2031343493863107_775236060715155456_n.jpg

i had him weld up the dimples between the runners, then build it up the edges so they can be milled flat. that was the top plate will have something flat to sit on. next is to rip the runners off then start cutting and drilling holes on the alum plate.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

WARNING

the next post shows graphic images of new innocent parts being cut up and sacrificed
viewer discretion is advised

5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
8.jpg

finally today i got to cutting the intake up. there was a few tricky spots, but i butchered threw them!

also wanted to see just how wide this blower is now that i am able to lay it on the intake. pretty sobering thought, thats for sure. then again, the plate that mounts the blower will be a tad bigger, and i already knew i was going to be hacking away the blower mounts, and a little off the sides as well. funny because the m112 doesnt look that wide, and yet it is!

9.jpg
10.jpg
11.jpg
12.jpg

despite it also being 41C with the humidity (thats 106F for those that dont know) i also started milling down some of the left over runners flush to what will now be the valley pan. all of this was done with a saws all, a alum zip cut wheel on a 1/2 grinder, and a rasp file.

13.jpg
14.jpg

was out there for around 5 hours or so until i said enough. was starting to sweat so much i thought i would short out my grinder. maybe later on tonight i might go back out there and do some more, and hang out with the mosquitoes. the 2 front ports are going to be a ***** to do because the water jacket is like RIGHT there, so i have to be careful on how i cut.
so for now, i am going to go and pass out from heat stroke for a while. thank god for central air!

I see what's going on now. Couldn't see it with the sharpie marks.
I can't believe you were out there working in the heat. I'm in Regina, and trying to get a few things done outside. I tried, and quit. Back at it in the dark, way better ( moving big rocks, digging, etc). Gman, your right. Now that I'm in my 50's I can really tell I need to be more careful. Getting od blows, but better than the alternative.

Intake looks awesome! Nice work

Well it is 130 in the morning right now and I just finished doing three runners on the other side. It goes quite a bit faster when you figure out a couple of little tricks to get in there with a saws all and cut closer to the wall of the intake.

202AAB7C-B58A-4D23-8028-4F53828264FD.jpeg

24A1D83D-46C7-4E50-9050-F60D9AE2A8CC.jpeg

530B5EAA-A34A-46E8-8FAD-AD91A000D84B.jpeg

I still have to do the front two runners which will be a total pain in the ass. However that will be tomorrow’s job. I’m still trying to figure out how to do them because there are a few tough spots to get into and the carbide I bought isn’t long enough. Luckily I have a old cylinder head porting kit hear that I will probably end up having to break out.
As for the heat I think he might be immune to it now. The place I am back working in at work is a tin building with no air circulation in it. However the nice part about it is I can score unbelievable parts. Like the 410 explorer differential I have sitting at home now, A third generation explorer headlight switch that will end up going to Simon, A pair of cruise control switches that I got out of a lincoln that should fit into Don‘s Limited, A 4406 shifter linkage That another member needed, and a first generation window module that I can do another one touch down on a passengers side window and a billet grille like evil has that will be going into my kids truck. And that’s all just with in the last week LOL

Right now, that is the strangest looking intake I have seen. lol

Thinking of what else could work to cut with.....Would a 2" cutting wheel on a die grinder reach to cut with? On job sites, we use those electric multi tools for hard to reach spots. They have a blade attachment for just about any material.

Wanted parts delivered to your work. That is a nice type of job perk.

That intake looks awesome!
You should have a mold made from it to have a bunch cast. New Kit!!!!

Are the 4:10's going in Evil?

Right now, that is the strangest looking intake I have seen. lol

Thinking of what else could work to cut with.....Would a 2" cutting wheel on a die grinder reach to cut with? On job sites, we use those electric multi tools for hard to reach spots. They have a blade attachment for just about any material.

Wanted parts delivered to your work. That is a nice type of job perk.

dont really thing you can call it a intake anymore. i just say its now a valley pan.
i know what your talking about, you mean those small cut off wheels you put on either a dye grinder, or dremel. that too is to big or clumsy to fit into there. even using a small blade on a dremel will hit the back side of what i am cutting. this will need to be cut out with a carbide and a crap load of patience.
its the only job perk lol. i dont go to the wreckers, the wreckers come to me! if there is something i need, and can hold out on, it will evenually come there. crappy thing is it wont be long term. when all the cars back there are process, i will be taken off that, and given some type of crappy job. they only have me back there because they know i dont need to be babysat. i will truely say management doesnt exactly like me, and the feeling is mutual on my end!

That intake looks awesome!
You should have a mold made from it to have a bunch cast. New Kit!!!!

Are the 4:10's going in Evil?

i tried that once. i was going to make about 10 mounts for the m112. the kit was going to have a mount, coil mount, pulley bracket, all the bolts and spacers, intake elbow, even instructions and was going to sell them for around $800. everyone thought that was too high (one guy even said when i lower the price to $400 he would take one). so that will never happen again. most people are clueless when knowing how long something like this takes to make. just chopping those 6 runners off and filing them flat took about 6-7 hours.
as for the diff. that is a spare. if evil ever blows up the rear diff, i have one. the spare isnt a trac lock however. that and my kids truck is a 4.10 as well, so if he ever blows his up (even though he doesnt 4x4 it........to my knowledge....) i have one here as well. and 2 front 4.10's lol. or if don ever wants to see if a 4.10 would make a difference in his truck, we can swap them for him to try

couldnt do much today. i have changed the sheds name from the gas chamber to the incinerator due to this "heat wave" we are having up here lately (heat wave my ass. i though i saw satan today buying a air conditioner). i picked up dons old block today because i will need it for mock up making this mount. went out there at around 11pm (right now as i type this its close to 1 am and it feels like 38C or 101F GUHA!) and put cellys old crank and heads on it. as i was sitting there basting in my own sauce, i figured i would plop the valley pan, alum plate and supercharger on it to get some motivation only to discover my first problem....well two problems.

when i put the supercharger on the plate, it sat too high in the front. in otherwords, it didnt sit flat like its suppose to.

15.jpg

figured the dowel on the right side was holding it up, but it wasnt.

16.jpg

i forgot because i will be using a m112 snout on it, not only is the bolt pattern different at the very bottom, but so is the shape. no big thing, will have to shave it down.
then the valley pan also didnt sit just right either. i figured that the welds on the edges of the intake were holding it up and need to be milled down as well. i was sorta right

17.jpg

18.jpg

the edge of the heads are holding it up not allowing it to sit flush. that too will be dealt with when the time gets close (in that picture i tilted the intake so you could get a better look at what i was talking about). so tomorrow or i should say when i get up in the morning i will have to find a longer carbide so i can keep cutting into the last 2 intake runners. i have a bad feeling i might have a hard time finding them. when i went to pick dons motor up, i had asked dimas if he had any he could sell me. he only had 2, and was going to lend them to me and went on to tell me he has had bad luck finding them locally and has had to order them and wait for them to come in. when he told me that i didnt want to take them. he was going to be doing some port work this week and i didnt want to slow him down. good thing i am off tomorrow.

put some old head gaskets between the heads and block to simulate how the heads will really sit.
If that makes sense..

yea, head gaskets and intake gaskets might change the angle quite a bit. Hopefully, anyway.

put some old head gaskets between the heads and block to simulate how the heads will really sit.
If that makes sense..

yea, head gaskets and intake gaskets might change the angle quite a bit. Hopefully, anyway.

i did think of that. i saved a set of old intake gaskets, but goof'd and tossed the head gaskets.
i have called everywhere today trying to find a long burr so i can grind out that last of the ports, and nobody has any stocked. looks like i will be at a stand still for a bit now....

maybe Dimas has my old ones still laying on his bench?

was able to call the shed a shed today. cooled off, so out the door i went and finished pretty much all the major grinding

19.jpg

the front ports were as i said a major ***** to do. number 1 cylinder came out ok

20.jpg

however i might have to live with number 5. there is a lot of meat to get out, and i really dont have the tools to do it. after all, this was all done with a grinder, saws all, carbide attached to a drill and a flat rasp file.

21.jpg

at some point i will go back in and clean up all the file scratches and do some more blending, but the major part is done. i will have to get some more alum for the ends of the intake and get them welded in, then i am going to see if my buddy can machine everything flat. once that is done i can start working on the plate that goes on top of this and figure out where the supercharger will sit.

So Tim, what was the purpose in welding along the edge at the point it meets the heads?

im going to try and explain this without confusing evryone.....even myself

777777777777.jpg

the parts in red need to be built up because they are on a lower plane then the runners. you want it all to be a equal plane from front to back. then you weld the sides in blue up because you want the height of the inside of the intake (closes to where the carb would sit) to match the side that mates to the head. the reason for that is you will machine them flat to match the height where the bolt holes are so when you lay the plate the supercharger sits on into it, it can seal. otherwise, you would have the edge of the intake which is i will say a 45 degree angle trying t meet up to a 90 degree which is the plate. if i havent explained it clearly (and i know i havent because its hard for me to do without you standing here) think of your EE set up. there is a lower part of the box that bolts to your intake, and a plate that bolts to it. if the lower part of the box had a 45 in it all away around, and the plate is flat trying to sit onto it, it would have a smaller area to seal because it would be on a sharp point. also this way, when i seal it up, there is less chance imo that i will goop up the heads with silicon as well.
i hope this all makes sense. if it doesnt, it will be more clear as time goes on because i still have more that has to be done to the valley pan.

I wanna see how the intercooler will fit once the intake "walls" are up. :) Looking great.

I wanna see how the intercooler will fit once the intake "walls" are up. :) Looking great.

you made me curious about something so i just went outside to do some measuring. the m112 thats on evil right now. measuring from the bottom of the lower intake to the top of the blower stands around 13 inches. give or take a haft inch. the way the m122 sits right now with the plate not sitting flat on the valley pan, and the blower not sitting flat on the plate, 9 inches. looks like daddy has lots of room for a intercooler! my biggest worry right now is how the fuel rails are going to fit. even with shaving the mounts flush to the supercharger casing, its going to be tight. if only this was a 351w block, there would be plenty room......hmmmm....351w block, stroked to a 408 in evil.....hmmmmm....

Back