windshield washer pump | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

windshield washer pump

I suspect he is putting the front tube/line to the "rear output" on the pump...thus it seems the rear output on the pump works, but the front output on the pump does not work. but it is still confusing because of the "replaced the pump" sentence....
Assuming its one pump for both lines (two exists) on the Explorers.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks everyone for your posts about windshield washer pump issues. I know it goes without saying, but pictures help a lot, especially if this is your first time having to troubleshoot your Explorer. I'm getting the no washer fluid issue on both the front and rear. I've purchased a replacement pump and plan to get to fixing this soon. It sounds like the best way to access the reservoir and pump is to remove the black splash shield in the wheel hub area of the right front tire. Is this correct? I will make a point to upload a picture or two for everyone's benefit. Thanks for everyone's help thus far.

.........It sounds like the best way to access the reservoir and pump is the remove the black splash shield in the wheel hub area of the right front tire. Is this correct?

Just don't try this method.:)

Peter

5645333380_f8308d2f26_bP5010078a_2_001.JPG

Had a chance to replace the windshield washer pump this evening and wanted to post some pictures of the process. Turns out it was 100% a pump failure and replacing it was all that was needed. Purchased the pump for ~$40 from Advance Auto Parts.

Disclaimer: I removed the entire front bumper in order to fix the issue. I found that just removing/pulling back some of the wheel splash guard on the right side didn't provide enough workable space.

The pictures below are not in any particular order, but a combination of the pictures and the Youtube video below should be all you need.

The hardest part (or area where you need to pay most attention) is when you're actually replacing the pump. The two small hoses are not easy to remove and you don't want to damage them. I found that after putting them on the new pump they were not as tight, so I used zip ties as well. Also note that the old pump you remove from the reservoir will have a small plastic mesh piece that protects the pump - make sure you remove it and place it in the new one.

Before jumping into the pictures, also take a look at this youtube video. This helped me as well and confirmed that once you remove all the necessary screws, you just tug in a couple specific areas to get the bumper to pop off.

IMG_1510.jpg

56254295601__37F056BD-A5B1-4AAC-9927-C153DCCAB1BE.JPG
IMG_1511.jpg
IMG_1512.jpg
IMG_1513.jpg
IMG_1514.jpg
IMG_1515.jpg
IMG_1517.jpg

Good photos and video. I haven't had the occasion and hope I don't for a while to change pump on Explorer but I did change the W/W pump on my 2010 Audi A6.. As much of a nightmare you hear about European cars, that one was actually pretty easy. Pump and new grommet was about $20 removed the Drivers wheel and inner splash shield/ Sometimes you have to resign yourself to the fact that removing some extra components makes it overall easier. Design is good, reservoir runs along the contour of the rear of the drivers front fender well. Pump is at bottom of the reservoir....Of Course. lowest point. Spend 30 minutes, trying to reach behind the wheels to get the splash shield bent back to get at pump.....Or spend the same 30 minutes possibly less, finding level surface, jacking drivers wheel, placing jack stand, removing and replacing pump, leak check and re installing wheel, remove jack stand and admiring your work. Note...Unless your doing this in the northeast in the middle of winter......hey mechanical components don't look at the five or ten day forecast before they fail. I filled with faucet water, leak checked and ran the pump a few cycles. As the level of the water decreases you can top back off with regular W/S washer fluid. Saves wasting W/W fluid if the leak is possibly somewhere else.

Expect pretty much any SUV/CUV. Hatchback to have separate washer pumps for front and rear. Some earlier models even had a separate reservoir for the rear wiper. I think the rear pump might have slightly increased flow rate and stronger pump motor to accommodate the increased distance.

My washer fluid is not working front or back. There is no sound when trying to spray but the wipers do come on as usual. I am assuming it is the washer pump. Washer fluid is full and all applicable fuses have been checked. I’m wanting to change out the pump myself. Is there separate pumps for front and back? Any tutorials from anyone who has has had this issue? Do I need to remove the front bumper to do this? Thanks in advance.

My washer fluid is not working front or back. There is no sound when trying to spray but the wipers do come on as usual. I am assuming it is the washer pump. Washer fluid is full and all applicable fuses have been checked. I’m wanting to change out the pump myself. Is there separate pumps for front and back? Any tutorials from anyone who has has had this issue? Do I need to remove the front bumper to do this? Thanks in advance.
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Your thread was merged with this one found using the 'Search' feature (upper right). I hope it is helpful. There is only a single pump. Wiper & Washer Components for 2012 Ford Explorer | Auto Nation Ford White Bear La

Peter

I did a search before posting this thread and did not find what may be the problem other than a bad pump. More specifically I had the battery replaced on my 2015 Explorer under a battery warranty. They took the old battery out without connecting a power supply to the Explorer and installed the new battery. I noticed that neither the front of back washer fluid sprays worked afterwards. I checked the fuses and all are good. When I press either the front or rear wiper wash buttons there is no noise of a struggling pump, etc., only the wipers turn on with no fluid spraying. Before I focus on the pump, could the problem be related to replacing the battery without a formal reset that tripped or turned something off? It should also be noted that I keep my washer fluid full and rarely use the sprayers.

Replacing the battery itself should not cause this. Plenty of batteries have been replaced without any such issue. If the pump is not making any kind of noise when the button is pressed, then I would think that it either isn't getting any power or the pump has failed.

Peter

If the pump is not making any kind of noise when the button is pressed, then I would think that it either isn't getting any power or the pump has failed.

Thanks and I agree with your assessment. I'm guessing from what I've read from other threads it's probably the pump. Not in a great location, but looks accessible if the inner lining of the wheel well is removed.

Perhaps it might be a good idea to check the connector at the pump to see if there is power there before ordering a pump.

Peter

Perhaps it might be a good idea to check the connector at the pump to see if there is power there before ordering a pump.

Peter

I checked the connector at the pump and sure enough it had power, therefore, it was the pump. About a $40 part and not a difficult DIY job.

This morning my windshield pump stopped spraying fluid. There is no noise either like usual. Its not even trying. Any ideas where to start with this please? thanks Fred

^^ Your thread was moved here. Found using the 'Search' feature. I believe, like others, your pump may have to be replaced if you are not able to hear it trying to work.

Peter

Pump works perfectly this morning :shifty:. Two days ago it was -minus 35 with the windchill and this morning its 0 degrees. Has anyone heard of a windshield washer pump actually freezing?

I don't recall a washer pump freezing up unless that fluid did. BTW, the windchill would have no effect on it. Once an inanimate object has lost whatever heat it had, it will only get as cold as the air temperature, regardless of the wind.

Peter

Good morning, all!
First post here, but I was hoping to get information on replacing the cracked windshield wiper fluid reservoir on our 2014 Explorer. That thing is really buried in there and I was curious on the best way to get it out. Can it be removed from the wheel well side, or do you need to pull the bumper? Any info, existing guides, etc, would be great.
Thanks!

Good morning, all!
First post here, but I was hoping to get information on replacing the cracked windshield wiper fluid reservoir on our 2014 Explorer. That thing is really buried in there and I was curious on the best way to get it out. Can it be removed from the wheel well side, or do you need to pull the bumper? Any info, existing guides, etc, would be great.
Thanks!
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
I have moved your post to this thread. If you scroll up the page, you will find some helpful info. Hope that helps. Good luck.

Peter

Fuse Location for washer pump?

Hi, I just joined this group after a Google search... I have 2017 Sport that both the front and rear washers are not working... The wipers run but zero fluid out both front and rear... 42K on the vehicle... No sound from the pump either.. I tried to find the fuse location, but nothing in the manual shows for it... Any ideas where they put it... Tried online search also with no luck.. I am assuming bad fuse or motor... Any input welcomed... In all the years and vehicles I have owned I have never seen a pump or fuse go bad... 1st time for everything... Thanks!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Your thread was merged with this existing one.
Several members have had to replace the washer pump on their Explorer. Never heard of a fuse being replaced, if indeed there is one.

Peter

Back