1992 explorer xlt light control module location??????? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1992 explorer xlt light control module location???????

bigpapa1313

Reaction score
City, State
twin falls idaho
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 explorer xlt
My 1992 explorer XLT has SEVERE headlight problems, to wit: THEY START FLASHING AFTER ABOUT 5 OR 10 MINUTES OF NIGHTTIME DRIVING WITH THWE LIGHTS ON. (lol) Obviously, this is a problem as besides being illegal, IT AFFECTS OUR DRIVING And other peoples driving as well. I've been told their is a "HEADLIGHT CONTROL MODULE" somewhere in this vehicle, but I've yet to find it. ANY ADVICE OR KNOWLEDGE that someone is willing to share to help me remedy this problem would be GREATLY appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There would only be a headlight control module if the headlights on it are automatic. Where it would be located I don't know...

So I guess my question is do you have automatic or manual headlights?

If you don't have auto headlights I would probably look at the wiring to make sure there are no shorts or grounding issues. Or I would look at trying a new headlight switch...

There would only be a headlight control module if the headlights on it are automatic. Where it would be located I don't know...

So I guess my question is do you have automatic or manual headlights?

If you don't have auto headlights I would probably look at the wiring to make sure there are no shorts or grounding issues. Or I would look at trying a new headlight switch...

MUCH THANKS!!! no AUTO LIGHTS, (DAYLIGHTS).

I had a similar problem on my (bought new and still own) 92 Explorer XLT 4X4

The headlights going on and off was entirely in the headlight switch. There is a heat controlled circuit breaker inside the switch. It seem that after enough on and off cycles, especially with larger than stock bulbs that the switch circuit breaker bi-metallic strip will weakene enough that it will no longer stay on. There are two solutions and I have done both.
I replaced the switch (cheap at Rock Auto) and also added a relay to remove all load from the headlight switch. The relay will handle several hundred watts, twice what the switch will handle over the long haul.
By the way, the cheapo switch is $8.40 and if you want the real Motorcraft switch it is $24.79

Back