2000 AWD Xploder from Turbo back to NA | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2000 AWD Xploder from Turbo back to NA

After getting an estimate on how much it would run me to fix up my Xploder with all new exhaust, cold side piping, and a bunch of other stuff done up the "right" way... I've decided to convert my Xploder back to NA form so that I can actually ENJOY the truck before I die of old age.

Anyways... To start it off I ordered up a MAC cold air intake (I do not have the stock intake) and sold my FMS headers on ebay.

I plan on buying a set of torque monster headers in the next week or so but am still up in the air on how I should run my exhaust from a performance "speed" perspective. I do not plan on doing much, if any, off road driving, so am looking for a setup that improves take off and speed for spirited pavement driving that sounds good.

I already have the spare tire removed (and will be keeping it off, I have free towing anyways lol)... What would an optimal setup be with the above in mind and no worry of a spare tire being in the way? True duals (straight pipe off of each header, thru separate mufflers, and out the sides), or a dual exhaust both going into a 2 in 2 out "H" pipe style muffler and then out the sides? Or something else? In all cases I won't be running any cats.

I also plan to re-tune my car since currently it is tuned for the turbo setup which obviously will no longer apply once I rip everything out.

Thank you for any input! :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I see explorerexpress sells TMHs... I wonder if they sell the larger collector version?? Sent them an email... fingers crossed, lol...

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Ok.... Got a call from Bob! Wooo! Lol... I will be buying a SMOOTH tube version of his TMH's in the next week or two... Smooth tube as in... No EGR stuff on it at all. Very nice! Especially since EGR has already been deleted on the truck anyways. He also told me he only makes the larger collector version of the headers now so that's what I will be getting.

Looks like I will finally be back on track with this thing. I am more than tired of driving around my wife's freestar, lol.

Awesome news. So does the larger collector version mean better flow=a lil more power= a slight bit louder?

I am assuming so :D

Ok... Dropped down the cash for the smooth (non EGR) TMH's! Hope to have them in a few weeks or so!! :D

I NEED TO SEE PROGRESS! :D

Cant wait to see this thing back on the road man!

Thanks man! I'm ready to drive it again, that is for sure!!

Bob sent me an email and told me the Torque Monster Headers, "Smooth Tubes", will be on the FedEx truck no later than Tuesday!

Rock on!!

Now to decide on my final version of how I will have the exhaust ran... Lol... Was thinking dual exit pipes... But, because I want to maintain my side running "boards" which means no before rear tire side exits, which sucks.

I guess perhaps I will run 2.5" off the headers and then each into a 2.5" to 3" SS transition into a 5x8x18 (24" overall) dual 3" in/dual 3" out SS Full Boar muffler with 3" piping running as straight as possible and exiting next to each other behind rear passenger tire (though exact exit(s) is still unknown) through 3.5" Silver Vein Coated/Rolled Edge 3.5"x18" tips (set next to each other).

I think the silver vein would look nice matched with the gray type cladding on the truck.

Thoughts/suggestions/ideas? Lol.

Ok... So... Headers have arrived! Hooray! Haha.

P85280600.jpg

P85282304.jpg

P85282805.jpg

Now... question... Should I use the provided gaskets (bottom), or use gaskets I already have laying around (copper looking ones at the top)?

P85281001.jpg

Side by side comparison of both (copper ones on left, provided ones on right):

P85281502.jpg

Same with bolts I got (given to me with the truck), on the left, and provided bolts with headers, on the right (in the plastic bag):

P85281903.jpg

Thanks! :D

And for a little side by side comparison of the previous FMS headers that came with my truck (not installed, nor were installed... I sold them on eBay) with the Torque Monster Headers... BIG DIFFERENCE I must say!

xploder_parts6.jpg
P85282805.jpg

:D

Hahaha Nice. They do need a FB thumbs up for stuff like that. But I agree, Headers lookin sexy. Can't wait to see them on the truck. take plenty of eye candy pics! :D

I wish I had the money for those badboys! Hell id settle for the FMS's over stock even :thumbsup:

Haha, damn, those are some HUGE thumbs, lol!

And yeah... Cost was $734... had to maneuver that around the wife ;) lol. Now to find a nice exhaust shop to get my old manifolds off, and install these babies, and then... to figure out exactly how I want to do my exhaust... Stuff not positive, lol... Leaning towards just doing a 2.5" dual exhaust headers back now into a 2-in-2-out muffler, then out back... Hmmmmmm!!

If I didnt have to pay to have them installed by someone, I think I would honestly just close my eyes and hit the buy button, but on top of that 740$, theres probably a couple hundred dollar labor fee, then id tell them since your down there just run me new pipe and whatnot....money pit man!

If I didnt have to pay to have them installed by someone, I think I would honestly just close my eyes and hit the buy button, but on top of that 740$, theres probably a couple hundred dollar labor fee, then id tell them since your down there just run me new pipe and whatnot....money pit man!

Yeah, tell me about it! If I did not have an issue with my current manifolds leaking and an issue with a jacked up bolt I would just keep her as is, lol... But, thankfully, I was able to sell the FMS set for $350... Which helped limit the wallet damage haha.

Also, notice, NO EGR bung :D

Wont not having the EGR throw engine codes? Mines bad...and has been bad since I bought it throwing a CEL, but its to rusted to really even change it.

Wont not having the EGR throw engine codes? Mines bad...and has been bad since I bought it throwing a CEL, but its to rusted to really even change it.

EGR was deleted by previous owner, and, custom tune... So... All good, asked for "smooth tube" version of the TMHs because of this... Makes it so I don't have to cap it.

Duh, I answered my own question right after I posted it, I forgot all about the tunes and that they can do that.

My lady is cool with me buying them, shes actually kind of excited, im talking to her right now about them and the gains my X would get, she just doesnt know how much yet:D

:banghead:

Haha... I was able to ninja mine past the wife by using paypal account that I had money stashed in, so, the difference that then came out of bank was much less, and easier to justify :D haha

Good luck on the talk haha.

Back