2002 4x4 problems | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 4x4 problems

Acting up AGAIN! '02 V8 4x4

Ok, here we go again... The fuse replacement seemed to help the problem for a couple days,and then whammo! the 4x4's acting up again. Just like before it goes into 4x4 high mode by itself. When this occurs the yellow 4x4 High notification lights on the dash are NOT on. I spoke to another Ford tech and he asked me if I'd had a brake job recently. Oddly enough I had. He said it could be the "exciter rings" on the rotors or the speed sensors on the transfer case as well. What a HUGE pain in the A#$ this is becoming...So apparently you folks who replaced the module behind the glove box were very fortunate that that was the problem... BTW,,last Wednesday I called Ford customer relations in Southfield,MI and got routed to some guy in Toronto Canada. He asked me the VIN etc.and put me on hold for a half hour and then finally came back on the line and told me he couldn't help me with the issue "today" due to the fact that the people he needed to speak to weren't available,but he ASSURED me he'd call me back the next day within 24 hours with some sort of advice. Guess what???? That's right,he never called back at all!!!I'll try to keep posting this odyssey as more occurs. Happy Holidays to all!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Update on this part..

Hi All..

I also require a 4x4 module. I am in Calgary Canada, the dealer price for mine is $442.00 canadian. I called Bob Utter Ford in Texas, Dealer price is 281.82us, and the Internet price is 211.00. Part need to be ordered in.

If you call Bob Utter Ford, you HAVE to ask for the Internet department to get this price.

I want to be sure thisis the actual part I need, and would gladly spend 60 bux for the diagnosis.

Dave

WillsWeb said:
Hi EddieB:

I'm gueessing you still have the "old" module if it is part # 1L24-7H473-AG ... if that is the case, would you be interested in some $$$ for it.

My 2002 is having the "nothing happens when you press the 4X4 buttons" problem and I could not find a web source for the part. I have removed the module and it has these markings on it:

Ford Part # 1L24-7H473-AG
Vendor # M799G
Motorla Model # 01MU152B06
Date Code 01215
Derail # 21403808

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards,
Will

4x4 modulator part number

i have been reviewing these threads, trying to see if my 4x4 module has been replaced with the newer version, but so far I have found 3 different part numbers for it and mine matches none of them. Can someone please verify that this is an old or new version of the module?

Part number- 1l24-7h417-AL
Vendor number - M7996
Motorola Model Number- 01SU152H12
Date code- 05236

i have been reviewing these threads, trying to see if my 4x4 module has been replaced with the newer version, but so far I have found 3 different part numbers for it and mine matches none of them. Can someone please verify that this is an old or new version of the module?

Part number- 1l24-7h417-AL
Vendor number - M7996
Motorola Model Number- 01SU152H12
Date code- 05236

I don't know if that an 'updated' module or not. As you've found out - there are a lot of different numbers out there. Does your's still work?

no at this time its not working right. It has been flashing 4x4 light for a few weeks and then it locked itself in 4wd. i had to unplug it to get back into 2wd. I have already replaced 1 of these units and want to make sure the dealership put a newer version in last time. was fine for about 8 months and now here we go again

I just replaced mine.

My stock one was stamped # 1L24-7H473-AF and it cross's-over to part # 1L2Z-7E453-A. And its the new updated one. Costed me $215 plus shipping from Randy @ Modular Depot.

ok well i just took mine in and had a new control module put on it, which was what the diagnostic test showed, but after that it was still stuck in 4x4 high. So they tested it again and told me it needed a front speed shaft sensor. Anyone know what, where, and how to replace it? Does this sound right to fix the problem?

Did you disconnect the battery (10min) to reset everything?

check Rockauto.com for it.

Good Luck

i am assuming they did because my clock was screwed up

Are they sure it was not the speed sensor causing the issues?

Rockauto shows 2002 FORD EXPLORER 4.6L 281cid V8 FI (W) : Transmission-Automatic : Speed Sensor for less than $36.
getimage.php

well they already replaced the rear speed sensors twice, then i had to have the fluid in the rear end changed cuz the metal shavings in it were covering the sensor. They say this time it is a speed sensor in the front. i dont know anything about them. he said thats the code it gave after the module was replaced. on rock auto there was only the one sensor it didnt specify if it was a front or rear, or if they are the same

Sorry I meant the front sensor...

Metal shavings....not good also

they replaced the bearings in the rearend because they were pitted said ford used cheap metal to build them. also replaced the fluid in the rear with a thinner synthetic to limit resistance as was fords recommendation

Ford Junk

It looks like the Transfer Case Shift Module is a common problem on 02 Explorers. I'm in the process of replacing mine. I think the general rule is if you have checked all your fuses and nothing happens when you press the 4x4 button (no lights or clicks) it is the module. If you get lights on the dash and a "click" but the transfer case won't engage, it is more than likely the transfer case motor (another problem Ford part). It seams that the module is very sensative and things like changing out the battery or jump-starting your car can fry the module.

The module is located behind the glovebox and the current part number is 1L2Z-7E453-A that replaced my 1L24-7H473-AH factory module. The best place I have found to order is www.directfordparts.com - $153 plus shipping. Good luck all

My original module is 1L24-7H473-AF. I took your advise and ordered a new module, part number 1L2Z-7E453-A from directfordparts.com ($153). I just received it. The box is marked 1L2Z-7E453-A....BUT the part in side is marked as 1L24-7H417-AL. Is this an old part number? Is this part good?

I spoke to directfordparts…..The number on a ford part is called the engineering (or production number). This is the number that is used by assembly plant to manufacture the vehicle. The number on the outside of the box is called the service part which is the “finished and packaged” part. The service number is the number Ford parts man references. The Ford parts dept can do the translation from engineering to a service number, so I recommend calling. Directfordparts validated that 1L2Z-7E453-A is the correct service part for my engineering part (1L24-7H473-AF). I’ll let you know what happens!

Update – I installed the new module, works great. As others reported I had to remove the temp sensor plug to get to rear screw. Even then I had difficult with the rear screw. You need a small wrench and small hands. Well…onto the next project… the door ajar light thank everyone for the info!

I finally replaced the module on my 02 Explorer and now I have 4 wheel again. Got it from directfordparts for 170.00 delivered. Now I don't have 4 lo though. When I try 4 lo the light just flashes and nothing happens. Shift motor????

been there, done that

I had the same issues with my 02 Ex with the 4.0. 4x4 wanted to engage by itself at slow speeds and turns. I found a forum about the module issue and brought it to the Ford dealership. They ignored it twice and changed the speed sensors and tightened some linkage in the 4x4 (didn't work). Finally they checked into the issue that I originally brought them and it worked. Mechanics should definitely monitor these forums.

I finally replaced the module on my 02 Explorer and now I have 4 wheel again. Got it from directfordparts for 170.00 delivered. Now I don't have 4 lo though. When I try 4 lo the light just flashes and nothing happens. Shift motor????

You can only change into 4x4 Lo while you are stopped, in neutral with foot on brake (engine running). If you are doing that, and still not getting Lo, then perhaps if the new module is OK, then it might be the transfer case itself.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Try this....as per my 02 owners manual, you need to put the car in neutral with your foot on the brake, then press the 4x4 low button. The light on the button will flash for a few seconds, and then the 4x4 low light on the dash will come on. It works in mine.

Back