460 into a first gen? LS Swap? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

460 into a first gen? LS Swap?

DeliciousKeki

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
94' EB X
I said earlier I was looking into rebuilding a 4.0, but I've also wanted to consider an LS swap and 460, I've never messed with LS series before so I don't know how it would go, just going from what people say, big power for cheap. I consider the 460 because its one of my favorite motors, I have one in my 62 galaxie wagon too and its just perfect. LS would probably be the cheapest since they are already a truck based platform so I would save the money on buying new heads and intake etc. and rebuilding the 4.0 or doing a 460 would cost about the same. So tell me what you all think.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There isn't enough room in the engine bay for something that big.....A 302 barley fits & a stroked 302 into a 351 just just barley fits.
Of course with $ anything can happen though.

Thinking that it could fit if we move the radiator outside and cut out some of the old radiator supports

Moving the radiator and cutting the support often has to be done with a little 302 block. So I bet with a 460 that would be mandatory. Even then...that's a lot of engine to stuff into the Ex bay, unless you go for $$$serious modifications to the bay.

Back