Solved - Missing Part - towing eye | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Solved Missing Part - towing eye

Post number 90 has been selected as best answered.

Prefix for threads that contain problems that have been resolved, and there is an answer within the thread.
Page 295 in the Manual (1st print) I have downloaded is all about Customer Assistance. Nothing about the tow hook. It has the same info on page 293 as Madtel4 pointed out.
The Owner's Manual (2nd print) confirms the info now being on page 295.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Pic from the trunk of the ST and the Aviator. Missing on both of them. Ford and Lincoln dealers got emails today.
20200131_134110.jpg
20200131_140509.jpg

Curious as what the email says about the Aviator. I have an empty spot like that but the Manual makes no reference to a tow hook nor does it indicate where on the vehicle you would use it.

Peter

Got the Explorer ST, will pick up Tuesday! Magnetic of course... 7 Jan 20 build date

They showed me the build sheet and how it doesn't have the tow hook on purpose for those curious. Still asking about the missing air deflector. This January build date doesn't have it.

Got the Explorer ST, will pick up Tuesday! Magnetic of course... 7 Jan 20 build date
MSRP 59,620
Purchase price ended up at 51,000 (8,620 (14.5%) off MSRP--not sure what all offers they had in there)
2.89% for 5 years w/ navy fed
Taxes are 6.75% and dealer fees/registration is $300
Ohio location for those curious

There was also a trade, but I kept that transaction separate until the price of the car was negotiated (got a fair deal on that too).

I think I did pretty average for the current market, but it feels like these are still on a downward price trend--maybe I should have waited. I also normally have a strict no first model year rule... I've seen this build advertised for 13K off MSRP, but not sure how the dealer got to that amount and its 8 hours away.

They showed me the build sheet and how it doesn't have the tow hook on purpose for those curious. Still asking about the missing air deflector. This January build date doesn't have it.

It is supposed to have it, do not let them tell you otherwise.

I went to verify if my ST had the tow hook today (it did not) and noticed the spare tire actually was muddy, doesn't look like it was mounted as the wheel itself doesn't have any marks from lug nuts but strange that the tire itself is muddy. You can see in the picture where I wiped with my finger when I was like what the heck is this towards top left in photo. Photo also shows missing tow hook. Weird on the tire being muddy.

20200202_130341.jpg

It is supposed to have it, do not let them tell you otherwise.

Here is the HvBOM that lists it as not included in the build per my VIN. They provided this and said I would not get a tow hook lol

HvBOM.jpg

Here is the HvBOM that lists it as not included in the build per my VIN. They provided this and said I would not get a tow hook lol
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:

Peter

View attachment 177962

It is called a "towing eye". Considering the paper lists a front and rear tow hook,I would take that as the Explorer does not have tow hooks (that is correct) which is why you need the tow eye to strap onto. You should get the tow eye which it states in the manual and there is a place for it to go. It's pretty obvious it is supposed to come with it.

If the dealer is fighting you on something so little, I cant imagine how they will fight you on future issues

It is called a "towing eye". Considering the paper lists a front and rear tow hook,I would take that as the Explorer does not have tow hooks (that is correct) which is why you need the tow eye to strap onto. You should get the tow eye which it states in the manual and there is a place for it to go. It's pretty obvious it is supposed to come with it.

If the dealer is fighting you on something so little, I cant imagine how they will fight you on future issues
Thanks! I'll ask again. They weren't fighting me, just trying to find an answer. I think they are equally as confused as to why it wouldn't have one.

Never seen that before.

I went to verify if my ST had the tow hook today (it did not) and noticed the spare tire actually was muddy, doesn't look like it was mounted as the wheel itself doesn't have any marks from lug nuts but strange that the tire itself is muddy. You can see in the picture where I wiped with my finger when I was like what the heck is this towards top left in photo. Photo also shows missing tow hook. Weird on the tire being muddy.

View attachment 177959

Keep an eye out for a water leak filling up that tire well.

The Aviator has the same cutout for the towing eye but there is no mention of it in the Owner's Manual and it not show where it is supposed to go.

Peter

Been awhile since I have been on the forum . Wife has went through 2 Explorers in the meantime . Picked up her black 2020 ST Thursday in a monsoon . Got it home in the dry and started going over it . No tow pin , lots of scratches and swirls in the paint , Quarter size wavy spot on the left middle of the hood . Tires were at 45 psi f/r . Key to remove lug nuts is also AWOL . Scratches on the rear upper panels look like someone used a fingernail to remove stickers , a and b post have long scratches along with scratches under the right mirror . So back to the dealership tomorrow .
On the plus side wonderful power and transmission , handles great , rides very nice after the air down .

That is my interpretation as well. I looked in my wife’s 2020 limited and it is missing.

however, I also don’t see anywhere on the front bumper to install the tow eye. There is usually a distinctive plastic bumper pop out on the bumper but I don’t see it. Does yours have a place to install the tow eye?

That is my interpretation as well. I looked in my wife’s 2020 limited and it is missing.

however, I also don’t see anywhere on the front bumper to install the tow eye. There is usually a distinctive plastic bumper pop out on the bumper but I don’t see it. Does yours have a place to install the tow eye?
So I was able to answer my own question. I found a little plastic door on the front bumper. But when I remove the plastic door, it’s a solid steel (or aluminum) beam with nowhere to install the tow eye.

2EE71DEC-23A9-472C-8F78-988B0F6485BB.jpeg

4AC441E1-8ABB-490E-91B5-7301CD7CC216.jpeg

Have you had better luck with the rear tow point? see page 294 of your Manual. Next time you're at the dealership, have him show you how to install the front one.;)

Peter

Have you had better luck with the rear tow point? see page 294 of your Manual. Next time you're at the dealership, have him show you how to install the front one.;)

Peter
Thank you peterk9! You’re a genius. This is why I join forums like this. I was preparing for a fight with my dealer about needing the tow eye and lost all the wind in my sail after finding the front bumper not supporting the tow eye. But there is definitely a spot for one on the rear bumper. Visual stimulation attached...

97CA1083-FAE1-40E7-B7E9-230210A534B9.jpeg

B8C2D6A3-B51F-4E5E-937D-3D00C6E1E609.jpeg

Sounds like Ford is shipping vehicles with missing Basic Issue Items. This would mean the vehicle could be classified Non-Mission Capable.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just wonder how many members that do have the towing eye have actually checked to see if it can acctually be screwed in. See post #36 where there is no receptacle for the tow eye.

Peter

Back