Solved - Missing Part - towing eye | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Solved Missing Part - towing eye

Post number 90 has been selected as best answered.

Prefix for threads that contain problems that have been resolved, and there is an answer within the thread.
Pouring rain ........... Good time for some
sleepy.gif

wave4.gif

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Found it. Just above the sensor. I guess I'll lean on my service advisor tomorrow to get one ordered under warranty. One never knows. The tow eye may become a historic artifact someday .............. ROFL
It's in the Manual c/w with a picture.;)

Peter

What the Chicago plant overlooked........ Gives you the ammo to get it under warranty. That's how my dealer did it.
IMG_20200327_165750.jpg

I'm glad it worked out for you:chug:

Sure wish I was out there in AZ. I miss the Superstition Mtns and the dry air. I like TX and all. The pollen and humidity are getting worse as time goes on. 'Ol lady won't move. Sucks. :drunk:

Not sure if it's a change in production, but the owners manual does state that only certain areas get them per "marketing requirements". My HVBoM also shows "Less towing hook" for both front and rear. Maybe someone will do the research and find out those details. With the '14 Sport I had for six years, was fortunate enough to never need it (was included), and hopefully it's no big deal here either.

20200407_185747.jpg

^^ Check out posts 36, 37 and 38 on page 2.

Peter

As the ST has the tow pkg. I bought a 3' length of "gold" link chain vs the silver. The gold link is the equivalent of a grade 8 bolt in strength. Added tow hooks at each end. It will form a U when attached to the safety tabs of the receiver. A wrecker would hook to the center of the U. Better that chain snap under load than have a wrecker tear up the rear bumper using that cast tow eye.

My floor mats did not have Explorer on them and are very cheap, thin and flimsy compared to the last 2 Lincoln MKZ's I had! My dealer Sheehy Ford very graciously ordered the tow hook and installed the deflector free of charge for me.

The carpet floor mats are junk - get the Ford all-weather mats and be done. They have fantastic coverage of the carpet around the edges and are well worth it. As far as the tow hook goes, many just don't have the receiver for it in the front bumper anyway, so it's a moot point. Pop that small cover and look: if all you see is flat steel and no threads for the tow hook, it explains why they aren't included.

The carpet floor mats are junk - get the Ford all-weather mats and be done. They have fantastic coverage of the carpet around the edges and are well worth it. As far as the tow hook goes, many just don't have the receiver for it in the front bumper anyway, so it's a moot point. Pop that small cover and look: if all you see is flat steel and no threads for the tow hook, it explains why they aren't included.

Good point - my ST did not come with the tow hook, but the cover that would pop out to reveal the receiver does not move or release from my bumper. Pushing it in does not release the cover (like indicated in the manual) - does it need to be pried open or something?

Why would you even want to take it off ? There is no threaded collar to screw a tow eye into. You don't need one for the back either.

Good point - my ST did not come with the tow hook, but the cover that would pop out to reveal the receiver does not move or release from my bumper. Pushing it in does not release the cover (like indicated in the manual) - does it need to be pried open or something?

Just use a small screwdriver. It's just held in with its tabs.

Why would you even want to take it off ? There is no threaded collar to screw a tow eye into. You don't need one for the back either.
I think that most do have the threaded collar.

Peter

Got it - thanks!
Adam, do you have the threaded collar that the tow eye screws in to? A few have reported that they do not.

Peter

I think that most do have the threaded collar.

Peter
Having seen the nose clip off several PIU's and XLT's. There is no threaded collarin the front. At some point pre release, Ford made a design change to the underlying aluminum crush bumper. Retooling to eliminate the removable panel in the nose clip would be costly. Both in time and money. I'm betting that the first mid cycle refresh to the nose clip will eliminate the access panel. That is a left over from the FWD days. A RWD is lifted from the rear.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Adam, do you have the threaded collar that the tow eye screws in to? A few have reported that they do not.

Peter

Hey Peter. I popped the cover off and found that, yes, I do have a threaded collar.

I still don't have the tow hook though. I called my service department where I bought the Explorer and they had told me that the ST does not come with the tow hook (so basically, they wouldn't order it for me).

Now I'm wondering if it makes sense to just pay for it myself. Is it correct that the tow hook is used to pull the vehicle onto a flatbed tow truck for towing, or is it just for situations where your car gets stuck somewhere and you need to be pulled out?

Back