Another OHV M90 build | Page 59 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Another OHV M90 build

2000 OHV + rpcaster + henson performance = another supercharged 4.0 ohv Explorer

I have goodies from James already (New MAF, 36lb injectors, wideband O2 for tuning)

Here's what came from Ron (Also a fuel pressure gauge and boost/vacuum gauge)

Attachments

• rpcaster.jpg
    rpcaster.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 3,585

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Look what showed up!
Im looking at install instructions and they say to install the spray nozzle just before the throttle body plate. If I don't, I apparently need a solenoid upgrade to prevent syphoning.

So, what are the draw backs of installing the nozzel pre throttle body?
positive would be a great atomization of the mixture. Would it be a posibility to worry about rust?

I see no way yto mount that container. No room at all.
Im even struggling with a clean place to mount the pump.

The second gen's dont have a rear wiper container. Id also be worried about a long run of hose causing other issues down the road. I still think I'll be cleaning out my front washer container and tapping in to it.

i would get the upgrade and mount it in the tb plate.thats where i have always mounted them at.personally i think the up grade is a scam but safe than sorry.i just cant see with as little vac as we make that it can suck all the way back to and through a solenoid,and then through a pump.like you said the atomization will be better and you wont have to worry about puddling.RUST???????whats in there thats not aluminum and it should never puddle.

i would say put it here;)
2012-06-05175456.jpg

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Ah JD,
You are back at the modifying. Quietly at that.

Nice to see!
I just ordered the solenoid, and the adapter to make it easy to tap in to my existing washer resevoir. It would be nice to actually see a complete kit at some point that has everything included, rather than loosing time and added expense.
The kit doesnt come with much for wiring. I'll have to pick up a solenoid, and some 16-18 gauge red/black wire. I'll run the solenoid tap off ACC and then run a fused line to the controller, pump, and solenoid.

Im guessing my detonation issue will be far less of a concern with this new motor. I should be able to add more timing in and see some decent power gains..

Finally! It might have been here yesterday, but the UPS guy wouldnt come in to our parking lot because of the snow. Ya right! whatever.

The heads going in to the machine shop first thing in the morning. I pretty much just matched the port and polish I did to the other head. I might have gotten a bit obsessive compulsive about the combustion chambers this time though.

Lets hope by friday night I get my heads back.

Attachments

• Winnipeg-20121114-00094.jpg
    Winnipeg-20121114-00094.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 218
  • Winnipeg-20121114-00095.jpg
    Winnipeg-20121114-00095.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 208
  • Winnipeg-20121114-00096.jpg
    Winnipeg-20121114-00096.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 219

Lets hope by friday night I get my heads back.

i can see it now. you will be up till what ever time getting the heads and intake back on, then sat, we go ape **** on it, and sat night doing donuts in the snow.:D

oh, next time you see your ups guy, punch him in the throat for wearing his high heels to work if you know what i mean.

oh, next time you see your ups guy, punch him in the throat for wearing his high heels to work if you know what i mean.

Tell me about it!
Machine shop isnt positive they can have the heads done for friday night. Here's hoping.
Im pretty sure theres a social to work saturday night, but it sure would be great to get the motor in on Saturday, and finish up on Sunday. Then the donuts start.
I have the meth injection almost ready. I have a bit of wiring left. There was already a port in the intake for the nozzle. The pumps mounted higher than recommend, but I think with the optional solenoid, it will stay primed. I don't think I'll actually install the nozzle and do the final wiring to turn on the meth injection until the motor in and running well.

No heads till Monday.
They were working on them this aft.
Apparently it takes time to take almost 30 thou of material off a head. I have no idea.

I'll have the motor together monday night, and Tuesday Tim is coming over after work to set the motor in place. Im guessing I'll have a working truck wednesday night.

Thanks for dropping everything on tuesday to come help Tim.

was wanting (hoping) you would have got your heads back. its getting to the point i want to hear this thing run now. when you text me earlier, and i read that you didnt get them back, i felt like a kid on christmas who got socks......

Machine shop is hoping the heads will be done friday. They started assembling, and found that the valves were too tight in the guides on the new head. They don't have a reamer the right size.

Looks like they are at least a few days away from getting the right size. Oh man, slow going on the heads.

JD talked me in to head studs since I'm waiting on my heads anyway. He could very well have saved my another tear down.

My eye's are watering from the costs of this build. No matter how you slice it, a stronger than stock V8 would have been the most cost effective.

No matter how you slice it, a stronger than stock V8 would have been the most cost effective.

dont know about that don. i would say, i was into mine for around 2K, and the only things i did to the bottom end was a new oil pump, chain/gears, and a stock foxbody cam. this also includes, headers, trans shift kit (and new o/d ban), heads checked over, with a 3 angle valve job, gasket kit, water pump, and p/s pump. plus the time it would take to convert everything, and finding a v8 truck (4 year hunt for mine) and the cost to buy it. everything on yours will be new.

I guess in the end, if you want to play you have to pay.

Thanks Tim, makes me feel a bit better.

The head studs will take care of one possible future failure. These tty stretch bolts must just keep stretching. I listen to how much boost (15+ pounds)gets pushed in to motors, and am amazed that they can do it and the motor doesn't come apart. They must not use these tty bolts on the heads.
I've been reading about the tty bolts, and its all about ease in manufacturing, not strength.

I guess in the end, if you want to play you have to pay.

Thanks Tim, makes me feel a bit better.

The head studs will take care of one possible future failure. These tty stretch bolts must just keep stretching. I listen to how much boost (15+ pounds)gets pushed in to motors, and am amazed that they can do it and the motor doesn't come apart. They must not use these tty bolts on the heads.
I've been reading about the tty bolts, and its all about ease in manufacturing, not strength.

Those motors are showing that much boost because of restriction before the cylinders .don't think 15lbs is reaching the cylinder .or atleast that's what i think.and alot of those use more than one valve

Ah right, boost is shown at the intake, not the actual amount of air being pushed in to the cylinder to be compressed.
It will be interesting to see how much boost lowers on your ohv with the bigger valves.
<cough cough> high ratio roller rockers <cough cough>

Ah right, boost is shown at the intake, not the actual amount of air being pushed in to the cylinder to be compressed.
It will be interesting to see how much boost lowers on your ohv with the bigger valves.
<cough cough> high ratio roller rockers <cough cough>

I was just talking about this with my tuner .he assured me even tho the boost would show slightly lower,the hp numbers would show a huge increase.idk about the rockers,the ones he is prototyping is a perch mount,not bar or rod.meaning the heads would need machine work and honestly i don't know if having more lift would be a good thing.seems the numbers of the 422 are just about perfect before you run into to much overlap.i know my before numbers so we will see;)

Im interested on what your numbers will be.
Yes, the heads would require lots of machine work for the roller rockers (If they ever become a reality). Even the valve guide seats would have to be machined down. With the 422 cam, and the dual valve springs we are already at the valve guide seal on spring compression. Great to think about though.

Im interested on what your numbers will be.
Yes, the heads would require lots of machine work for the roller rockers (If they ever become a reality). Even the valve guide seats would have to be machined down. With the 422 cam, and the dual valve springs we are already at the valve guide seal on spring compression. Great to think about though.

Yep and anything over like .5** lift your become a interface motor.not big if everything works right.the bigger valves should make a huge difference for sure.just hope we can work out a deal,i really want them but cant go into the hole much more:(

Yup, where does it stop. Guys wouldn't go this far even when their trucks were newer and worth something.
And we just keep pulling our motors apart. Your on number 4, and I'm on number 3. You did a couple of motor pulls, and this is my 1st.

Hobby, can't justify it any other way.

With these head studs we are to tighten the studs to 25 foot pounds, and seat the heads. Then add the washers and nut's, torque the heads to 100 ft pounds using normal torque sequence.
This should take care of any head gasket issues.

Now, Here's hoping the heads are done tomorrow.

Attachments

• Winnipeg-20121122-00099.jpg
    Winnipeg-20121122-00099.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 181

Back