Cargo area, 3rd row seat back cracks. | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cargo area, 3rd row seat back cracks.

Broken cardboard panel

Took my all season wheels into the dealer so that I can get them on and the winter tires stores and found that the weight of the wheels broke the cheap cardboard panel that lies flat when you put the seats in a lie flat position. Didn't Ford think that anybody would put anything in the back of this 'SUV' for transportation. I've never, ever had or seen anything like this before.

The problem doesn't show when the seats are up but the panel is almost cracked in half when down :( I wonder if this is replaceable and how much it will cost. Next time I'll get a real truck to carry anything heavy.

Me too, mine broke about at least 4 months ago. Had them look at it when I had the oil change and other TSBs taken care of. They had the truck for a week to do everything on my list and had an upholstery shop look at this broken panel. They said they had to order the parts. Thats where I left it, said they could fix it at my next service appt.

I was also shocked and expressed how weak those parts are, as if FORD thought noone would put anything back there? At least they could have used a reinforced composite material instead of one grade above cardboard. I told the dealership to order several parts as theses will probably get broken once a year at least. Especially if it can't even hold its own tires?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

strike, deewan, bluex232, & WillClark,

We are actively working very hard to correct this issue, and you should contact your dealer for replacement/repair. I can lend a hand by sending the details to the Customer Service Manager for your area. If you haven’t already, please send me a PM with your VIN, contact information, approximate mileage, and dealer name/state.

I recommend showing your dealer, BobbyTony. Have you tried calling the Ford of Canada Customer Relationship Centre @ 1-800-565-3673?

Cory

Thanks for your help Cory. Do you know, or can you share, if the replacement parts are stronger or if there could be a possible replacement to stronger parts in the future? If not, I have already done some brain storming on a DIY fix invovling lightweight angle iron and rivets. But I don't want to make those changes if there is a possible Ford fix coming.

They should have just used metal panels like the Gen II, but those weigh something...

Me too, mine broke about at least 4 months ago...
Trembler,

I’m glad you had your dealer look at it; please shoot me a PM with your contact info, dealer name/state, mileage, and VIN so I can arrange a call from the Customer Service Manager for your region.

Thanks for your help Cory...If not, I have already done some brain storming on a DIY fix...
You’re welcome, deewan. I haven’t heard anything else yet; I don’t recommend any DIY repairs because that could affect your warranty. Please stay tuned.

For DIY tips, check out:

http://Owner.Ford.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Owner/Page/DIYIndexPage

Cory

Cory, I stopped by the dealership yesterday and I would need to make an appointment to bring the Explorer in, (which I did for the cargo light not working) and while they had the Explorer they would take photos of the cracked panel, send the pictures into Ford and if Ford would decide later if it would be covered by warranty. If it was, then I would need to make another appointment and take it back to get fixed. Said that is how all interior problems are handled. Which I believe and don't have a big problem with. But is it possible to supply those photos ahead of time so I can have the panel replaced next Thursday when I take the Explorer in for the other items? I hate making extra trips to this dealership because they are 30 miles away.

Thanks for your help.

Cory, I stopped by the dealership yesterday and I would need to make an appointment to bring the Explorer in, (which I did for the cargo light not working) and while they had the Explorer they would take photos of the cracked panel, send the pictures into Ford and if Ford would decide later if it would be covered by warranty. If it was, then I would need to make another appointment and take it back to get fixed. Said that is how all interior problems are handled. Which I believe and don't have a big problem with. But is it possible to supply those photos ahead of time so I can have the panel replaced next Thursday when I take the Explorer in for the other items? I hate making extra trips to this dealership because they are 30 miles away.

Thanks for your help.

Yes, the program is called "Digital Imaging" and is required for just about any trim or interior component replacement. Takes the decision away from the dealer, that often got charged back for what they felt was a warrantable situation and Ford did not. It also worked the other way where a dealership tried to warranty something that was not legitimately a defect... These should be warranty.....

Cory,

Thanks I will PM you this weekend... Hope you all are having a great weekend. I still love my FORD :) that would be awesome if they were able to replace it with something stronger ;)

Thanks again for your continued help Cory...!

Take Care

...Thanks for your help.
You’re welcome, deewan. I’m not a technician, so I’m not allowed to guess what the dealer will need for the repair. Shoot me a PM with your contact info, dealer name/state, VIN, and mileage, and I’ll be happy to lend a hand by forwarding the details to the Customer Service Manager for your region.

...Thanks again for your continued help Cory...!...
You got it, WillClark. :)

Cory

thanks Cory! PM sent

I just had the exact same thing happen to my 2012 Explorer Limited. Seats folded down I was on my knees vacuuming the back area out and the passenger side cracked about half way across. I immediately got nauseous over it. You can't see it since it is only partially through the panel but just lightly pressing on it it will flex downward.

I am glad I found this thread at least I don't feel so sick over it Based on the information I have seen here guess a trip to the dealer is in my future.

...Seats folded down I was on my knees vacuuming the back area out and the passenger side cracked about half way across...I am glad I found this thread at least I don't feel so sick over it Based on the information I have seen here guess a trip to the dealer is in my future.
Welcome to the forum, MorpheusFLA. You’re right to go to the dealer for the concern. I see your PM in my inbox; I’ll send you an answer in the next day or so.

Cory

My third row seat panel is fixed! A BIG thank you to Cory for helping out and Jeff the regional service manager. Both were excellent to work with and communicated well throughout the process. I couldn't be happier. Well, outside of getting those panels replaced with something a little more strudy. But at least I'm back to new.

My third row seat panel is fixed! A BIG thank you to Cory for helping out and Jeff the regional service manager. Both were excellent to work with and communicated well throughout the process. I couldn't be happier...
This is awesome news, deewan! I forwarded that along to Jeff. :D:thumbsup:

Cory

Third row seat area cracked.

I've just had this happen to me also :eek:. My 10yo grandson (normal bmi, lol) had crawled back there to take a nap. Later, after he got out, I noticed an indentation in the floor area. I lifted the floor/seat cover and revealed a complete crack, crosswise (rightside panel). WTH.
fyi: the second row seats were up.

In my opinion, if this area had a post to distribute the weight this would not happen, kinda like a "middle of a river bridge support". At the very least some warning of a weight limit or is this a faulty panel?
Has anyone been to the dealer for this problem?
:usa::salute:

Sorry to bump an old thread, but add me to the list of owners who suddenly had one of their 3rd-row seats crack in this fashion while loading the vehicle.

In my case, I was in the rear cargo area with the seats down to help load some stuff. Apparently too much of my weight was on one corner of the seat and *crack*. Looking underneath shows that it clearly isn't up to the task of supporting much weight - some additional metal bracing would help to reinforce the area.

My Ex is only a few weeks old (though I've logged nearly 2.5k already!) so I won't be at the dealership for a while. I'll discuss this with them at my first appointment & let you all know what happens.

We killed probably 3 of them to various degrees vaccuming out 2011+ Explorer rentals after road trips.

Meanwhile, I bought a new old carpet for my 2000 at the junkyard and forgot it was behind the Camry on the ground drying. I promptly drove over it backing out, and nary a waver. Nice when they were metal. C'mon Ford...

Broken third row floor panels

I just noticed the third row floor panels on my Ex had a sag to them. After flipping them over, I found that both had cracked all the way across. Probably happened when i was sitting on them when I was switching the rear light to led. Sitting on them.... I'm really disappointed that Ford didn't use a stronger material for a floor panel. Anybody have a repair solution? See the 2 pics below:

Here's the saging floor
IMG_0623_zps10b2c7cb.jpg

and here's the panels flipped over showing the cracks.
IMG_0626_zps48fc3df7.jpg

I just noticed the third row floor panels on my Ex had a sag to them. After flipping them over, I found that both had cracked all the way across. Probably happened when i was sitting on them when I was switching the rear light to led. Sitting on them.... I'm really disappointed that Ford didn't use a stronger material for a floor panel. Anybody have a repair solution?
As indicated in my PM, I have merged your thread with this existing one on the same issue. Check with your dealer to see if they will repair it under your warranty.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Got the same problem with mine as well. Probably happened about a few months ago. Same situation, slight slag and i definitely know I have a crack because I heard it while vacuuming. Once it happened, I already knew that wasent good. Tried to move away a little and then cracked some more.
Hate to go to the dealer and get it all inspected, but it seems like someone had it covered under warranty already. When I get some time, ill try to get to the stealership

Back