How to: - Rebuild 4X4 Shift Motor | Page 22 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: Rebuild 4X4 Shift Motor

Prefix for threads which are instructional.
Rebuilt the motor

I just rebuilt the electric motor, like this thread said. After was all said and done. I didn't line up the worm drive in 2H, I lined it up in the 4Lo position to get it to go back together. Got it all hooked up and all the lights and switches lit up. Lo and behold 4x4 lit up on the dash and so did 4 Lo....Small victory......How do I get it to go back into 2wd???? I tried driving in reverse 30 or so feet....No luck.....any help short of taking it back apart and resetting everything???????

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just rebuilt the electric motor, like this thread said. After was all said and done. I didn't line up the worm drive in 2H, I lined it up in the 4Lo position to get it to go back together. Got it all hooked up and all the lights and switches lit up. Lo and behold 4x4 lit up on the dash and so did 4 Lo....Small victory......How do I get it to go back into 2wd???? I tried driving in reverse 30 or so feet....No luck.....any help short of taking it back apart and resetting everything???????

:D

Shiftster-1Ultimatealbum007-2.jpg

From the 4x4 Troubleshooting guide

4x4 High
To engage or disengage 4x4 High:
  • If 4x4 Low is ON it must be Disengaged 1st.
  • Press the 4x4 button (anytime, nothing else required!)

4x4 Low
To engage or disengage 4x4 Low you must:
  • 1st be in 4x4 high
  • Transmission in Neutral
  • Clutch depressed (manual transmission)
  • Foot on Brake (mph<3)
  • Now Press 4x4 Low

Motor no workie

Ok...So I posted yesterday that I got everything working other than that fact that I had to set it in 4Lo, to get the motor to go on...Well I decided to take the motor off again because I couldn't hear the motor engaging, so needless to say with the motor off the transfer.......It's not doing anything...I cleaned the contacts...When I had it apart....As I mentioned....after doing so the buttons and dash indicators started working again......I ran a self test on the 4x4 computer.....tested fine.....3 flashes.......I checked all fuses....the 20amp under the hood.....and all 15 Amps...under the dash....all were intact...Once again...I ask for help......Thanks the replies I have gotten so far...

Eric

Some other things to try. Move the transfer case selector to the 2 wheel Hi position. Rotate the worm driven selector so it is selecting the 2 H as manually selected by the transfer case selector. Re-bolt the electric selector to the transfer case. Now start the truck, select 4 X 4 Hi and see if the proper lights on the dash light. If they do, then select 4 X 4 Lo by putting the tranny in neutral while pressing firmly on the brake pedal and pushing the 4 X 4 Lo dash button selector. You watch the lights while a friend or Lover (in my case, my wife did it) listens for the motor to turn. At this point, you may have to loosen the electric motor case and GENTLY rotate one way or the other until the lights are correct and the transfer case engages 4 X 4 Lo. At the factory they have a jig for this adjustment, we have to make do with friends and ingenuity.
If the transfer case motor does NOT work, then it is about 99% sure that the electric current is not getting to the motor and either your wiring is screwed up or one of the relays in the rear 4 X 4 controller is busted. At this point, you have to one wire it to find out which one is open/busted/bad connection.

Motor no workie

Thanks BWTGUY.....Not sure how to trace the relay....I hear a click in the computer.....but the motor is not doing anything......I reset the transfer....reset the worm gear..got everything to line up this time.......but now no dash lights....nothing going on with the motor...Confused as electrical is not my strong point.....

Bummer! I had to replace the controller on mine (The item with the switch and blinking light in the left rear of your truck as you face the front from the rear door). I had a bad one even though it said it wads good. Good luck to you and write if I can help.

hey Ricky B hey man just curious did you make that manual shifter for your transfer case or did you buy that. cause i would like one that seems to be a pretty genius idea...

I'm guessing a solid 4x4 light and flashing low range light means I need to rebuild the shift motor? This isn't a constant problem.... any ideas?

4X4 high clicks in and out

ive had this problem for a few years now after ripping the shift motor off and apart, i did not see any of the common issues. i have no problem in 4wd Low engages great and stays, but 4X4 high just keeps clicking in and out, and i say that because i hear a click coming from the passenger side behind the dash. and the light on the dash Xblinks on and off with the click, you can definately feel the difference as well so has anyone had this issue?? AND WTF IS THE FIX winter is coming id like for my 4X4 to actually live up 2 its name this season. btw this is a 2001 explorer Sport 4.0 manufactured early 2000.

I played with the motor - bought another one at the junkyard - and finally spent $100 at Checker/o'Reilly - maybe it was a defeat - but for 20 minutes worth of work -after two days of "rebuilding" - I was glad for the limited lifetime warranty that came from Checker.

Newer Shifter Issues.....

After reading through this thread (welll, half of it, anyway!), I found lots of similarities, and a few BIG changes to newer shift motor assemblies. I have an '04 with Borg-Warner 44-11 T.C., and just rebuilt it. Shifter issues caused me to go into that as well.

In case any later-model owners/workers might be interested in what I found, let me know; I'll be glad to start a similar thread in "2002-2005".....imp

27133Tcase14.jpg

If this is the cause of a motor to stop working, could you adjust the cover plate until the motor operates? After the motor actuates then remove power to stop farther action, and then readjust the plate in the opposite direction to make up the difference caused by the crushed bumper, so the gear stops at the correct point when returning to the neutral position.

27133Tcase19.jpg

This of course assumes that the unit became inoperative because the gear over shot the contact points in the unit because of the rubber stop failure.

I hope that makes sense, if so it would seem to me simply tweaking the cover plate may be an easy fix in cases like the above. My 92 Explorer (push button activation) shift motor fails to actuate and I was thinking of trying this, but would like to hear some comments if this is a good or bad idea.

I understand this would mean the stop would most likely be making metal to metal contact and possibly ruin the housing. The truck is near the end of its useful life and four wheel drive is used less then a handful of times in a year.

...could you adjust the cover plate until the motor operates? After the motor actuates then remove power to stop farther action, and then readjust the plate in the opposite direction to make up the difference caused by the crushed bumper, so the gear stops at the correct point when returning to the neutral position.

This of course assumes that the unit became inoperative because the gear over shot the contact points in the unit because of the rubber stop failure.

I hope that makes sense, if so it would seem to me simply tweaking the cover plate may be an easy fix in cases like the above. My 92 Explorer (push button activation) shift motor fails to actuate and I was thinking of trying this, but would like to hear some comments if this is a good or bad idea.

I understand this would mean the stop would most likely be making metal to metal contact and possibly ruin the housing. The truck is near the end of its useful life and four wheel drive is used less then a handful of times in a year.

I understand exactly what you mean but the real problem is the worm gear on the electric shift motor puts out a LOT of Torq. As such when returning to the 2H position the motor doesn't stop on a dime and the soft bushing prevents the worm gear from being JAMMED against the metal stop. Once it gets jammed against the 2H Metal stop the shift motor may not have the power to Un-Jam itself when you push 4x4..

OK, I guess it is time crawl under there and just take the motor off and inspect it and do a proper job of repairing it. The lazy man in me had to see if I could get out of removing the motor. It never occurred to me that it may jam when returning to neutral without that softer material on the gear stop.

Thank You,

Ray

P.S. This place is a wealth of information, thanks to all who provide these great posts.

hey guys my name is gary have had a 92 ford exploer for 4 yrs now , and i have a problem . someone has stolen my transfer case motor with the mounting bolts sooo
1) i have no idea on the size of head , and thread pitch and length of the mounting bolts

2) i have the cardone transfer case motor (from oriely auto parts)
round plug
7 pins inside

heres the problem when they stole it they cut the speed sensor wires( green and blue) and they cut the electromagnet wire( brown)

so i need to know where to put the wires in the new plug on the transfer case motor three openings middle and 2 on the bottom corner of the circle so pics of the plug showing me where the colors go and the size , length, and thread pitch of bolts wwould help soo much thanks, gary

I have completed replacing the stop bushing on our 1994. Had to do it twice as I cheaped out on the hose I used the first time (used hose I found lying around that fit). The first fix lasted 2 days and then no engagement again. Upon removal and inspection the hose was crushed enough to prevent it from working. I bought some gas line hose and now it works perfect. Moral of the story, use good hose. Thanks to all who have posted on this subject.

Hello everyone, greetings from Spain

First I want to thank all the information you share freely and support you offer us answering our questions .. and second to tell you that I think I am sufficiently prepared for inrentar fix it myself .... I'll tell you ......

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

hey guys my name is gary have had a 92 ford exploer for 4 yrs now , and i have a problem . someone has stolen my transfer case motor with the mounting bolts sooo
1) i have no idea on the size of head , and thread pitch and length of the mounting bolts

2) i have the cardone transfer case motor (from oriely auto parts)
round plug
7 pins inside

heres the problem when they stole it they cut the speed sensor wires( green and blue) and they cut the electromagnet wire( brown)

so i need to know where to put the wires in the new plug on the transfer case motor three openings middle and 2 on the bottom corner of the circle so pics of the plug showing me where the colors go and the size , length, and thread pitch of bolts wwould help soo much thanks, gary

1). The hex head mounting bolts are M6 X 1.0 x 40. You can probably find them in a Dorman display at an auto parts store-----but it might be easier going to a Mom 'n Pop hardware store and look in their specialty fastener department/ Just try to get something stronger than mild steel, like a Grade 8.8.

2). Hard to give you advice on the 3 wires that were cut without a pic, but this video shows a 10 pin t-case motor being removed. It just might help you out (assuming the 3 colored wires are the same-----which I do not know for sure).

Good luck, and it really sucks when poor ******* thieves steal from us poor hardworking guys........:D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back