Jon And Sheri's Vitamin D Wagon | Page 60 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Jon And Sheri's Vitamin D Wagon

As she sits now,
017.jpg

019.jpg

015.jpg

013.jpg

018.jpg

But it didn't start out like this.

We returned from our trip to Colorado Sept 2009 to find this waiting in the yard.

It needs a few little sumthuns--but it is a great start I do think.
Here is where we begin to take over the work started by trukmajik and dejello

94explorer001.jpg

94explorer003.jpg

94explorer002.jpg

94explorer004.jpg

94explorer007.jpg

94explorer006.jpg

94explorer005.jpg

9-11-2009092.jpg

9-11-2009090.jpg

updated pics ^^^^^how it was when I got it

Now here is how it looks as of 4-1-2010

got the wheels all shiny!

truck002.jpg

frostbite001.jpg

truck001.jpg

truck006.jpg

truck005.jpg

truck004.jpg

truck003.jpg

and as of 8-5-2010

IMG_1105.jpg

with swaybar^^^

without sway bar

IMG_1064.jpg

IMG_1061.jpg

revised shock towers and more flex-Big thanks to Dkchrist for coming over to weld em in. I owe him big time!!

IMG_1905.jpg

IMG_1903.jpg

With a top

IMG_1988.jpg

IMG_1986.jpg

IMG_1983.jpg

LED rock lights

IMG_1925.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So, it was the head of the bolt hitting the panhard mount? and by welding, you eliminated the bolt head?

Time for a trip out here :D

Edit;WhooHoo 60 pages, you're catching up to IZ

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

What was the bake temp on the powder and how long?

That will help the stress concentration, also the crack formation depends on how severely you drive it and the stress in the bar.

So, it was the head of the bolt hitting the panhard mount? and by welding, you eliminated the bolt head?

Time for a trip out here :D

Edit;WhooHoo 60 pages, you're catching up to IZ
Yes. The bolt head was most of the problem.

Packing my bags now. I thought you;d never ask :p:

What was the bake temp on the powder and how long?

That will help the stress concentration, also the crack formation depends on how severely you drive it and the stress in the bar.

I pre baked at 375 for an hour, let it cool in front of my fan, then reheated to 325, coated it and then 342 degrees for about 20 minutes, followed by about 45 minutes cool down in front of the fan

Woot!
It goes back in on Monday!

That means leave the suspension alone for the weekend.. Don't go doing a gear swap this weekend either. ;)

~Mark

That means leave the suspension alone for the weekend.. Don't go doing a gear swap this weekend either. ;)

~Mark

We'll have to make sure Sherri ties him to his chair :D

Sheri and I took the dogs for a country road cruise. I went the extra miles, we drove 8 miles down dirt roads, and several creek crossings. So far so good. for light off road and street travel, it is amazing how little the suspension actually works. I bet it only uses 6" total travel up and down.

So far there are no white marks on the bracket and no black on the sway bar.

:D

And it drives oh so nice. Now it is a one hand driver.

Please do be careful with that sway bar. Drive it like it don't have one and stay on the safe side. At least for a couple thousand miles on it, and check it often. Just looking out for you guys here, nothing more.

the bake is really what matters since you didn't quench, without knowing the material, you have at least partially stress relieved your material, but It may not have been enough time.

I think you will be fine, check it from time to time and I would bet your good.

With your luck you connect the wire and short out the PCM and not be able to drive it to the top shop again. :D

~Mark

Enquiring minds want to know.

Does Vitam-D have a top yet?

I know you guys hate excuses, but since I want to remain friends with the upholsterer, and not seem like I was unreasonable, I called to ask if I should wait a few days-as we are having a very extreme heat wave. So, it is going in tomorrow, possibly Thursday now as they say tomorrow will be over 100 degrees also.

We have had a lot of rain so the humidity is up there.

This truck had a split phase (?) antenna harness, and 2 antenna mounts already installed so I found 2 little whips and installed them like this-one on each side. It kinda works, but I haven't "tuned " them yet. They are both grounded.

IMG_1112.jpg

IMG_1111.jpg

I am hoping this way I can still talk to the guys on the trail, and, keep the antennas under the canvas.

I think you will find these to be to small. You really need something that stands over the truck from my experience.

Well hairdo be dammed and blow down the hatches mateys, top or no top this thing sets sail for Wichita tomorrow

The upholsterer told me he had all the panels completed with straps, and is now assembling them. He will need the truck back again on Monday.

So, since we have yet to make a maiden voyage we are going to drive this on a 400 mile round trip. I will try to get good gas mileage figures.

Back