Completed Project - My 98 super charged EX | Page 52 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Completed Project My 98 super charged EX

Use this prefix for completed projects that are not "How to" articles or threads asking for help.
1998 Explorer 4.0 SOHC
Bought it with a melted alternator/wiring harness from a junkyard for $1,000
Fixed it, drove it for two weeks, then I boosted it.
Started with an M90 supercharger kit from www.Bansheesuperchargerkit.com
Upgraded to an M112 Lightning supercharger that was a prototype kit.
Next was the M122 off a 2012 GT500
I have reached 20 lbs of boost (with ARP head studs) and a 12.83 in a quarter mile.

Pictures
1. How it looked when I brought it home.
2.The M90 supercharger installed
3.The GT500 supercharger installed
4.How it looks now
5.Wheelie
green ex.jpg
DSC02710.JPG
5.JPG
Lowered Rear.jpg
Exploder wheelie.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nice..how much or how well do those cooled snouts really work??seen them but never seen any data on it
I will let you know if I ever get it hooked up. lol.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

new blower eh? so......whatcha doing with the old one......hmmmm? :D
Saving it for a back up for now, remember it is custom "ported" for my intake. (reads: hacked up). lol.

20 lbs boost, stock motor and pump gas with only meth spray.

one word.......crazy.

I'm sure there are lots of people asking questions with you pulling 1/4 mile times like that.

The truck gets lots of attention, I always have the hood up so people can see it.

Excellent blower ideas, and I love the big bolt on pulleys.

wow, just wow!

From last year.....

Explorer Picture.jpg

So last Friday I squeezed some time in at the track. I couldn't stay long but got three runs in.
It was around 80 degrees F outside and there had been some storm clouds threatening but never rained.
I ran the truck with a 3.3 inch pulley on it to slow the supercharger down and lower boost while increasing spark advance.
Went from 3.2 to 3.3 inch pulley and max boost was around 17.5 down from being pinned at 20 last year.
First run 13.78. Then added 2 degrees and ran 13.664, then added 2 degrees and ran 13.499.
This was all within 33 minutes.

I noticed during the last run that there was some detonation detected and when I looked at the datalog the PCM had pulled .5 of a degree of timing.
So with the 3.3 inch pulley I now have a tune with 2 degrees timing added an no detonation.
With the 3.2 inch there is 2 degrees less timing advance but more boost.
My next experiment is to run both pulleys with their specific tunes back to back and see how it responds.

I wish I had time to put the 3.2 back on and run it again but that will have to wait until next time I get there.
At least I have the tunes ready for quick back to back runs.

Good work, that's what makes the fastest cars so special, tuning time invested in it.

This will really help the boot versus timing question. I'm looking forward to the results.

When you say your pcm pulled timing, aren't you using a vampire unit? if so, did you hook it uo to an analog impute of your sct?

I am using the vampire and the PCM together.
The vampire does most of the work, when there is detonation the gauge lights up letting me know.
Then I go look at the datalog and see what rpm the PCM detected it at.
My stock sensor is wired to both the PCM and Vampire, I did not disable the PCMs function either.
Since I had a factory knock sensor wired to pcm, I don't need to input the Vampire to the analog input of the X4 if that makes sense.

Have you decided whether the stock PCM is better for having the knock sensor circuit built in, whereas the 302 PCM doesn't have it(or use it). I'm pondering whether the Vampire used with the 302 PCM is the way to go like Don has, or maybe adapt a later 4.6 PCM, if it could be easier or better to tune with. The boosted combination is the only one I've thought of that for, a tuner on the Corral suggested it a long while back.

That is an interesting idea to adapt the 4.6 pcm to run a 5.0L
I appreciate each newer PCM design which have faster processors and more adjustable things in the tune.
I would always suggest going with a Mustang PCM when possible because that's where all the focus(no pun intended) is in racing/tuning these days.

The down side would be the amount of work to graft it in and possibly not be able to get it inspected if you live in one of those areas like I do.
I did see an awesome Ford Thunderbird with the 32 valve 4.6 swapped into it. The two harnesses were grafted together and the PCM was from a Mustang so tuning possibilities were numerous.
The student who owned it told me it did not have communications, I looked at it with him and found the circuit for either pin 4 or 5 at the OBD2 data link connector was open. 4 and 5 are both grounds, one body and one pcm. Since one was good I jumped them with a paperclip behind the connector as a quick test and it communicated. Found a handful of O2 sensor codes in it too.

Yeah, the idea is to use a faster computer, and the COP ignition isn't a bad idea either. I'm doing a harder wiring swap with my old Lincoln, so to mix a 4.6 engine harness with the 302 wouldn't be bad. Finding space for the coils would be interesting, and those aren't cheap.

Stage 3 Supersix motorsports cylinder heads, and reground cams are coming soon!

I have the heads and am just waiting for the camshafts.
And of course the time to put them in.
I hope to have them done by Black Friday for Atco Raceways all day racing event.

554.JPG

I have the heads and am just waiting for the camshafts.
And of course the time to put them in.
I hope to have them done by Black Friday for Atco Raceways all day racing event.

View attachment 151090
Whats the details and specs on all that??

Excellent, I hope those are a big gain in airflow.

Back