recommended grease for Wheel bearings X 93 4X4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

recommended grease for Wheel bearings X 93 4X4

Spedition

Reaction score
City, State
Silao, Guanajuato
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 XLT
Hi Everyone!,

i was looking on the Posts, but i can't find some information about the recommended grease for the wheel bearings, i remember I was reading somewhere that the Lithium grease with Molybdenum disulfide is the recommended by Ford.

What do you think? it's that truth? :(

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If I had to guess, I'd say wheel bearing grease.

Seriously, they make grease in tubes and tubs that is designated as WHEEL BEARING GREASE.

I personally seek out the Castrol brand wheel bearing grease for mine, but many multi-purpose automotive greases work ok as well, especially Synthetic multi-purpose grease.

Any auto parts store will usually have both some generic and brand name wheel bearing and multi-purpose grease for you to choose from.

I was just in Kragen (So. Cal.) last weekend buying a can of grease for my Firebird, re-doing the rear bearings. I have been buying grease for years and I swear I did not know that the manufactures have different grease recommendations. I have been using the cheapest can since I can remember. Anyways Cheap grease $2.00, GM grease $3, Ford Grease $3, and Synthetic $4. I got the GM grease for my bird, I don't think it makes a difference. When I was a grease monkey for Amoco in the early 80's, we didn't change the tubes on lube jobs. Just my two cents. However, someone on this board will probably tell me there is a difference and I'm looking forward to knowing the difference. So, I would get the grease Ford recommends.

I bought some valvoline stuff that is rated for colder weather as I live in WA. Just get something that stays in your temp range an you're good. Grease is grease for the most part.

I did my wheel bearings on my '94 a few years ago. I though I would be smart and use fancy synthentic grease and had a bearing fail in a few months. Next I used Valvoline Ford-Lincoln-Mercury multipurose grease. Things have been good for two years

When I redid my bearings I just picked up wheel bearing grease. Grease is grease. Never had a problem.

Ok, understood, thanks for the answers, If i find where i read about that, i'll post again.

I only use 2 types of grease.. either the Mobile 1 synthetic stuff or the red & tacky (marine grease).. The Mobile 1 seems to work better.. The red and tacky seems to get dirtier quicker.

~Mark

Back