Squealing Noise When Wet, Belt? | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Squealing Noise When Wet, Belt?

Re: Belt slipping squealing noise- Before you buy a new belt, which may very well solve the problem also:::::::Have you fellas tried putting a little ivory soap on the belt. Holding a bar soap, along the top and bottom while it turns over not spraying a liquid type will do wonders. I'd not recommend any white or other "grease"....best regards Plum

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Why do belts squeal? They squeal because the different pulleys are spinning at different speeds. By lubricating the pulleys, you take out the cause of the noise. Whether you use white lube (which I recommended) or soap, you're accomplishing the same goal.

When I use white lube, it "paint" only a couple inches of a pulley. The lube will get spread around to the rest of the pulley. The white lube keeps the belts/pulleys quiet and increases the life of the belt.

Well, I don't recommend anyone use any "white lube" as in "grease" type lube. Soap or a commercial belt dressing product, will work much better and not harm the rubber belt...so, if your Ford Dealer won't help you out, and you need to try something yourself then suit yourself on what product you choose........beast regards Plum

Why do belts squeal? They squeal because the different pulleys are spinning at different speeds. By lubricating the pulleys, you take out the cause of the noise. Whether you use white lube (which I recommended) or soap, you're accomplishing the same goal.

When I use white lube, it "paint" only a couple inches of a pulley. The lube will get spread around to the rest of the pulley. The white lube keeps the belts/pulleys quiet and increases the life of the belt.
The issue here is that the belt shouldn't sqeal in the first place. I can't recall the last time I had that problem. You should never use a 'lubricant' on the belt. It will only lead to the belt slipping and any oil in it will eventually lead to the belt breaking down. The easiest solution as mentioned by plumbago is using bar soap or even candle wax. A good quality belt dressing may also help. These 'fixes' are usually only temporary and eventually the best solution is to replace the belt. Squealing can also be caused by belt glazing. To remove the glazing could involve more work than just replacing the belt.

Peter

Squealing belt...help

Hello all!
I have a 2011 XLT that I purchased used back in November of 2013 with 19,000 miles on it. A few months after buying it, once the snow started, I noticed that whenever the roads are wet the belt squeals like a pig. I took it back to the dealer and they told me that they could not duplicate the problem. They said they put a garden hose on the belt and nothing happens. To me this is a crap test because it does not mimic actual road conditions, plus the vehicle is stationary and not being driven. Now that all the snow is gone and it has been raining it is squealing again. This ONLY happens when it rains. The wipers get real slow, the engine seems to get sluggish, then it squeals. If I hit the gas hard and get the Rpms up the squeal stops and everything returns to normal, for a few minutes anyway. I have recorded this while driving on my cell phone so I can show the dealer. Any thoughts on what it is? I have come to the conclusion that it is one of two things. Either the serpentine belt is slightly stretched or there is something wrong with the tensioner. The vehicle is still under warranty but the dealer won't do anything. Any ideas on how I can get the dealer to fix this or am I going to get stuck replacing the belt myself?

I'm in the same boat.. belt squeal only under wet conditions, truck is sluggish until the squeal stops and then it "kicks back in" and everything's normal. Very annoying. I'll be interested to see how this turns out.

Have you tried tightening the belt to the sprc to see if it goes away?

Hello all!
I have a 2011 XLT that I purchased used back in November of 2013 with 19,000 miles on it. A few months after buying it, once the snow started, I noticed that whenever the roads are wet the belt squeals like a pig. I took it back to the dealer and they told me that they could not duplicate the problem. They said they put a garden hose on the belt and nothing happens. To me this is a crap test because it does not mimic actual road conditions, plus the vehicle is stationary and not being driven. Now that all the snow is gone and it has been raining it is squealing again. This ONLY happens when it rains. The wipers get real slow, the engine seems to get sluggish, then it squeals. If I hit the gas hard and get the Rpms up the squeal stops and everything returns to normal, for a few minutes anyway. I have recorded this while driving on my cell phone so I can show the dealer. Any thoughts on what it is? I have come to the conclusion that it is one of two things. Either the serpentine belt is slightly stretched or there is something wrong with the tensioner. The vehicle is still under warranty but the dealer won't do anything. Any ideas on how I can get the dealer to fix this or am I going to get stuck replacing the belt myself?
Welcome to the Forum mike-srt4.:wavey:
As indicated in my PM, I have merged your thread with this existing one.
Good luck.

Peter

So a bit of an update on mine. Ford decided it was a condition to which I live in. They did extend the warranty 2 years but still... I want it fixed.

Belt Squeal Noise In Rain

I always get a belt squeal noise when driving in the rain on my 2012 Explorer xlt v6. It sounds like an accessory that clicks on squeals and then shuts off, it lasts maybe 2 seconds and then goes away. I used to think maybe it was the a/c compressor but on a road trip that I am on right now I didn't have the a/c running while the noise was happening. Does anyone else get this noise ?, thanks for reading.

I always get a belt squeal noise when driving in the rain on my 2012 Explorer xlt v6. It sounds like an accessory that clicks on squeals and then shuts off, it lasts maybe 2 seconds and then goes away. I used to think maybe it was the a/c compressor but on a road trip that I am on right now I didn't have the a/c running while the noise was happening. Does anyone else get this noise ?, thanks for reading.

Check Air Conditioning compressor operation.

Not all belt squeal is the actual belt. With the addition of water I would look closely at the alternator. With that said, if you haven't already done so, it can't hurt to apply some belt dressing to the belt. Also watch it with the engine running. Does it look tight and true or is it wobbly or fluttering. Belt or tensioner may need some attention.

Have you been to a local Ford dealer for this, JFUSION? I suggest doing so if you haven't already. Please let me know via PM, and also send along your VIN, updated odometer reading, dealership information, full name, and best daytime contact number so I can look into available options.

Looking forward to hearing from you soon.

Brittany

My explorer was the first new vehicle my wife and I ever purchased. Limited almost fully loaded it was our second biggest purchase ever next to our home. Due to this issue, I will never recommend a ford vehicle to anyone. For it being our newest vehicle as well as being purchased new, in Washington where it rains a lot our explorer constantly sounds like a beater with the belts squeeling. Dealer plays dumb when we bring it up to them and are unwilling to do anything about it.

I think your issue is more with your dealer than with Ford. Have you tried enlisting the help of Crystal (FordService), the Ford rep on this Forum? I'm sure she would be happy to lend a hand it getting this looked at again. You can send her a PM using this link;
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/private.php?do=newpm&u=157968
When you PM, be sure to include your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership in your message.

Peter

My explorer was the first new vehicle my wife and I ever purchased. Limited almost fully loaded it was our second biggest purchase ever next to our home. Due to this issue, I will never recommend a ford vehicle to anyone. For it being our newest vehicle as well as being purchased new, in Washington where it rains a lot our explorer constantly sounds like a beater with the belts squeeling. Dealer plays dumb when we bring it up to them and are unwilling to do anything about it.

Hi explorernoise?,

As Peter mentioned, send your info my way (in a PM) and I'll see what I can do to help. :thumbsup:

Crystal

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had this going on since almost day 1. After about 2 1/2 years of putting up with it because it would only happen during rain storms.. it would last about 1 - 2 seconds and when it stopped, I felt a jolt as if the engine grabbed again. Had the dealer change out my belt during a different service and it's been perfect ever since.

Back