That catalytic game, 02 4.6 limited. | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

a89.jpg

It’s irrelevant as I explained because drag cars are NOT ever driven on the road. Comparing your stocker lo-po motor to a race motor is asinine. I guarantee the cats aren’t hampering your performance one single bit. If you are building such an off-road car that you’re dragging the bottom against rocks constantly a tune should be a minor mod. Along with a serious lift to, you know, not drag the bottom on rock so much. By the time you rip a day off, your transmission and sump will probably be dry anyways.

Again, it's not gonna see a single road.
Yeah I would lift the crap out of it but that requires way more then I want to invest, and yes yes we get it's not asking you how, it's questions about why this or that wouldn't work. I don't need advice on "how to Rip out a catalytic converter" anyone with a hacksaw can do it..or even someone with a piece of rod and a hammer while changing to some cherry bomb trash. But I didn't actually want to do that, that's asinine in my mind, expansion chamber...ick.

It's budget is getting spend on deep pan with cooler, and a shift kit, and some tires. Thought about some struts with built in lift to get her an inch or 2 but I ain't messing with the steering, I don't wanna grenade the rear end or front end from having something be off. Wheel bearings and struts going out make that grinding crap happen already. Should say she's getting a new drive shaft too, single piece.

I bet they are pretty messed, had intake leak(then the whole intake where the coolant passage went boom killed the remaining things) had a he'll of a misfire hesitation for years apparently, during new intake swap I found clogged injectors in one spot, metal crap down by the plugs in another(causing spark issues couldn't even get the boot on the plug) fuel injectors not even plugged in snugged, got a small oil burn going(quart every 6-8k) bad coils, bad intake, crapped filter, oil in the tb, many a things i have forgotten I'm sure.
So after i replaced that intake gave her a sweet cleaning and tune spark plugs coils injectors alternator battery fluids pads rotors bearings and true and proper brake fluid flush, electric fan swap, tore off some clutter, silencer boxes ect increased air boxs intake. I ain't some dink, but I'm at the exhaust point if you were to ask me.

Edit: ^^^^^^^this is saying why I'm pretty sure the cats are prolly bad and pretty much full of crap I'm betting and also that again there gonna get caught on crap...things are big messes with lots of shields to catch on crap

NOT A DAILY, NEVER WILL BE, will never see pavement, my back yard connects to the trails..trails connect to river, literally I just wanted to know how the cat system worked on this bugger cause I hate exhaust work and I only wanna do it once.

Also is there a page yet with the specifics between a early build 2002 compared to the late build?

Ordering all new struts haven't found anything on then being different.

Well some of us couldn't be grandfathered or taught the way, just kinda had to pick it up as we fell in love with a hobbie. I'll ask any further questions of modding(which is mostly illegal stuff so you should change the group name from modded to more like "more serious" cause it's totally misleading. .) to the ls1 forums next time,They just say "I ain't responsible for blah blah blah" then proceed to explain things. Not trying to be a "meany" but just figured if your gonna run a "modded" group page thing, you should understand "modded" doesn't stand for law abiding...kinda the opposite...its "modfied" or maybe just change it to "legal mod explorers" or something...

Pretty sure you never mentioned it’d never see a single road. Also, rereading your posts, if you think this is the weenie hut jr, you are encouraged to exit stage left, and do everyone a favor and stick to a cooler site. I suggest you go ask pirate4x4, I’m sure they’ll have plenty of advice to help you.

Back