1. Tip...
    If you hold most smartphones sideways
    you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

The Black Hole

Discussion in 'Elite Explorer Registry' started by gmanpaint, April 3, 2009.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. Dono

Dono 347 V8 Limited turbo Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    00 Limited V8
    I can't even imagine changing that harness out.
    I can't even imagine trying to splice out the burnt stuff one wire at a time upside down under the dash and doing a nice job.

There's no clean and easy way out of this one. Lets hope the problem wire stays away from the ground it was touching.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. gmanpaint

gmanpaint It's Always Something! Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    MO MO
    Modified 95 XLT
    LOL! Of all the things to be quoted for, it's food.

It's one of these Don. Light comes on when it's ready to flip over, and another light comes on when it's done. They are cheap at Wally world, like $20 is all.

waffle maker.jpg

and yes, I know you was goofing around too. lol

Dono, thanks for the support buddy!! I hope it stays away long enough to get it to Kurts shop for a real fix.

Last edited: December 7, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  4. KurtECV

KurtECV Surrender The Booty Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Lebanon MO
    93 Sport
    94 sport
    Keep a note on what fuses blew, i wonder if they are the same ones that you replaced before??

5. KurtECV

City, State:
    Lebanon MO
    93 Sport
    94 sport
    Well its like being given a fish, or taught to fish...

You could go out for Belgium waffles to celebrate.. or you can go buy a waffle maker, and celebrate all the time.

6. gmanpaint

City, State:
    MO MO
    Modified 95 XLT
    True, didn't think of it that way. :)

As far as the fuses go, I wish I wrote down the fuse #'s way back when I changed them out. Since I didn't even have a 98 manual or bother to research online for one, at that time, I had no idea what fuse worked what circuit. Still don't for half of them. lol I honestly do not know what was swapped, or kept from the 95 to 98 OS. Either the fuse box was re-pinned, bulk connectors re-pinned, or the fuse box was swapped for the 98 box so that didn't have to be re-pinned. Ugh.... brain hurts thinking of any number of combo's done/not done to it.

So far, the mechanical work seems to be done right, and in good working order. Props to them for this part at least. Some issues are going to happen, and is to be expected. The only mechanical hiccups was the leaking coolant at radiator, some sketchy exhaust work done, the atlas shifters needing re-done, a brake issue, and the cam syncro not aligned properly. Everything else was great, and now with those issues mostly fixed, it really runs well, and sounds bad ass.

Electrical work as a whole is a completely different ballgame tho. Which sucks for me, as I know 100 times more about mechanical, than electrical. I hate having to guess, and even more so with limited understandings/knowledge. That's why it was farmed out to begin with. Guess that's why I am so sore over this. Sorry to come off grumpy now & then, I'm just frustrated beyond belief. :(

Last edited: December 8, 2018
  7. Dono

Dono 347 V8 Limited turbo Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
    00 Limited V8
    I'd be grumpy also. If the shop couldn't do a quality job of it, they shouldn't have taken the job on.

The electrical is the most tedious part. We all agree its time consuming, and hard to make a dollar on. Its still no excuse for saying you will do something, and then doing a shit job while your charging someone cash for it.

That has bad reputation written all over it.

• Like Like x 2
  8. KurtECV

City, State:
    Lebanon MO
    93 Sport
    94 sport
    X2 on that @Dono

I think the biggest hurdle to figure out, is what components and electrical is from 95 and what is from 98.

That's where proper documention should have been done and provided to the customer.

• Like Like x 1
  9. CDW6212R

CDW6212R Hauls the mail. Elite Explorer

Media:
    Albums:
    City, State:
    Knoxville, TN
    98 Limited AWD
    Ditto. This is reminding me that I have to do more for documenting my modifications. I didn't do anything but notes for my 99, but that truck is mostly OEM parts and wiring. For my 98 Limited, that may have a few things to document, but my 92 Mark VII will be a radically unique wiring harness. I'll have to make lots of detailed notes for that. It will be a combination of wiring, an entire 2002 Mustang harness set, a 98ish Explorer engine harness, hopefully an Explorer GEM module for the power monitoring circuits etc, a 97 Town Car memory seat/mirror module etc. It is great when you finish something, but the doing is a whole different thing. Wiring is tough, and has to be planned well, and slowly done right.

• Like Like x 1
  10. gmanpaint

City, State:
    MO MO
    Modified 95 XLT
    Wish I had overcome my insecurities with electrical work long ago, and learned all I could. I envy those of you that are confident with it.

Anything I know now, has only been because I have been forced to learn.

Kind of like my trade skills learned over a few decades. Not everybody feels comfortable doing it, and is why I could feed the family.

Being that all of this, just started as a hobby and has progressed to a way of life now, I need to learn more, to become self sufficient. That's how everything in life has been for me, no reason to stop now. Lol

• Like Like x 2
  11. KurtECV

City, State:
    Lebanon MO
    93 Sport
    94 sport
    I never wanted to get good at wiring, especially diagnostics. GM has such a problem with "terminal fretting"(microscopic corrosion on terminals that causes high resistance) ever since they switched from gold plated terminals due to the cost of gold.

I was just thrown into it and forced to learn it for work.

• Like Like x 1
  12. KurtECV

City, State:
    Lebanon MO
    93 Sport
    94 sport
    Something that might help you understand wiring is think of it in a way that you understand... Something with your trade.

You know plumbing better than I do. Maybe think of it that way, everything has to get from Point A to Point B to Point C

Point A might be your battery (Water Main?)

Point B might be the instrument panel fuse box (water heater?)

And Point C might be the ignition switch (master bath tub?)

There might be pipes (wires) that branch off between Point B and Point C like the headlamp switch (kitchen sink?) ECT but the hot water (voltage/amperage) still needs to get to where need to go.

That all makes sense in my head... And it might confuse everyone else :crazy::crazy:

• Like Like x 1
  13. gmanpaint

City, State:
    MO MO
    Modified 95 XLT
    That's a great analogy, but I know there is way more to it. Lol

I get lost with the double hot, redundant ground fault, and pathways that branch and loop. Hell, I barely understand relays. Lol

Basic wiring I'm alright with, but diodes, resistors and circuitry boards are way above my grasp.

14. gmanpaint

City, State:
    MO MO
    Modified 95 XLT
    Going to add to the previous post for the fuse ID, as I found the ID for 1-18, and now have the full fuse box layout. Comparing the fuses in this box, to the 98's diagram, I found a few that doesn't match up to stock. Some of these really jump out at me here. These 25a fuses instead of a 7.5a/10a is a brow raiser for me. I imagine that #23 was used to add a circuit, and possibly one of the Acc add on's. Will edit after I dig a little deeper here. I'm going to put the stock fuses in these locations to see if they blow. Something tells me that the 25a fuses was used, because the lower called for fuses. was blowing for what ever reason.

Fuse # ............Presently has...............Stock
    23....................25................................NOT USED

1-18 fuses

98 fuse block 1-18.gif
    19-36 fuses
    98 fuse 19-36.gif

Fuse locations

fuse block fuse locations.gif

Actual fuse panel

actual fuse panel in 95 PBF.jpg

Last edited: December 9, 2018
  15. KurtECV

City, State:
    Lebanon MO
    93 Sport
    94 sport
    Interesting...

Yeah I'd replace them with the correct fuse and see what happens.

A lower amp rated fuse doesn't hurt things, as long as that circuit does not need that many amps with all components working at the same time.

BUT a larger amp fuse is not a bad thing *ONLY IF* the wiring itself was upgraded to the appropriate (larger) size.

A lot like the BIG 3 upgrade with the alternators (that might only be a bronco thing, I'm not sure.)

16. gmanpaint

City, State:
    MO MO
    Modified 95 XLT
    You mean like those thicker red wires crimped to those thinner stock wires that burned up? Lol Maybe I shouldn't try to replace them, could burn the truck down!

What are the odds those burned wires are hooked to a 25 amp fuse, and burned because of it? Hmm...

So after looking at the 95 & the 98 fuses, I see that the 98 has a BOO & a BPP, where as the 95 only has a BOO on the brake pedal. There is only one switch on this brake pedal. Maybe why it was spliced into? This rig never had a trailer brake controller installed on it, and that is the only other reason I can think of why it would be spliced into. This spliced wire is newly wrapped (electrical tape) into that pedal harness.

Last edited: December 9, 2018
  17. KurtECV

City, State:
    Lebanon MO
    93 Sport
    94 sport
    I dont think going from a 10 amp fuse to a 25 amp fuse would cause a wire to burn up like that, maybe make the insulation bubble a bit, but to have them burn completely up like that makes me think they shorted those wires to ground (chassis or a ground circuit in the vehicle)

Interesting on the BPP sensor, That may have something to do with the wire tapped into the pedal harness... anyone's guess, you will just have to trace that wire back to where ever is goes. PITA!! But it could just be tapped into for a power or ground circuit.

I would find out what circuit it is that its tapped into (check the BOO pinout) and figure out if you are dealing with a voltage circuit, or a ground circuit, that will give you a better idea of what you are dealing with.

• Like Like x 1
  18. CDW6212R

Media:
    Albums:
    City, State:
    Knoxville, TN
    98 Limited AWD
    Trace the BOO brake wire carefully. That's a critical circuit, and people tap into it often for any alarm or starter device. That's a wire you don't want to discover messed with, especially with those fast(cutting) crimps.

AS an example, I bought several wiring harnesses last year for my 92 Lincoln project(from 2001-02 Mustangs). I passed on two dash harnesses because one posted pictures showing the bad fast crimps on it, and another person wouldn't get me pictures. I found one that hadn't been modified, that will be a much better starting point for my car.

• Like Like x 1
  19. gmanpaint

City, State:
    MO MO
    Modified 95 XLT
    I have yet to install the new proportional trailer brake control unit. I have to tap into the BOO for it, since there is no BPP to tap into.
    I will remove the wire from the dash side connector to make a solid connection on it when the time comes to install it. .

I didn't think of an aftermarket alarm, since the stock alarm has always worked. It has never had a remote starter either, so the trailer brake is the only thing that made sense to me, IF this was not tapped into by that shop. I don't remember seeing it tapped into before, and the tape wrap looks fresh to me, so the assumption is, they tapped into it for the non existing BPP or for something else. Who knows why at this point, it is what it is, and I have to deal with it.

I was joking when I mentioned the rig burning down, by swapping the fuses. lol It would be the opposite, as the smaller fuse would blow first. :D

20. CDW6212R

Media:
    Albums:
    City, State:
    Knoxville, TN
    98 Limited AWD
    People usually put bigger fuses in when they tap into a circuit, they assume the wires are big enough for the greater current. So it's a worry, not a sure failure, but you just want to check it all out in case.

• Like Like x 2
  21. gmanpaint

City, State:
    MO MO
    Modified 95 XLT
    @CDW6212R , when you get chance, can you look at your 98 brake pedal and see what switches you have on it? 1 or 2?

I have no idea what others should have as I only have this 95 to go by.

Thanks!