034x4's D44 SAS thread... | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

034x4's D44 SAS thread...

I think this is my first post here, but i've used this board for alot of research on explorer and ranger SAS. So i finally decided i should post my project and it's progress so far.

The truck originally is a 2003 edge 4x4. 37,000 miles with 4.10's/LS.
I had 3" body lift, fiberglass front fenders and cut rear fenders to have plenty of clearance for 35x12.50 BFG mudders. Made a trip down to savannah and on the way home my passenger hub bearing pretty much exploded. Taking with it, the pass knuckle, caliper, rotor, bent inner tie-rod, ground flat outter tie-rod. I already had the D44 in preperation for the SAS but with this, i decided to go ahead and start on it.

This is the ranger, in the beginning.

7cbc01ed.jpg

After the bearing failure, at 70mph on I-75 north...

2a08b95d.jpg

33975f5e.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Found a local shop that can make/do almost anything possible regarding off-road rigs.
Going tomorrow to hopefully get a steering shaft in the making. Also hopefully welding my inner-c's back on and start assembling the axle and have it sitting on some tires.

I got some half-assed flex shots. I'm at 10" of travel at the inner c's.

6124d562.jpg

c13f542a.jpg

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

My 1.5" .25 wall heim-jointed steering is being made as i type this. I ordered my new pitman-arm also. Going to box the frame rail for the steering and modify my factory ranger shackles to make them shorter to use on the front.

If I finish all that tonight, i'm going to weld on my knuckles and start assembling the axle.

Hey J are you home in the daytime working on this?

Just curious

Ya, i work on it all day everyday since i got my springs in.

I figured out for my shackle setup, i'm going to use my rear 4.5" factory shackles but i'm going to re-drill them and trim them up to about 3" eye to eye.

In the flex shot, i got 7" of travel at the inner c's with 4.5" shackles and with 2" shackles i got 10". But the 2" shackles i have a ghetto fabulous so thats why i'm going with the ranger rears. My hanger is also already set-up for this.

EDIT: if ya get bored reg, gimme a call and ya can head over. I'm gonna be haulin to hurry and get my frame boxed and re-drilled for the 'yota box, then re-drill my shackles. and If i get that done, then well i already posted that.

Got the steering box mounted today, got my steering made. 1.5" .250 wall with 5/8" (i think) heims. Picking that up tomorrow. Made a 6.5" x 4" x 3" L bracket to support the frame-rails where the steering box mounts. It's not fully welded yet, just the sides. After i eat i'm finishing puttin the CTM's in the axle shafts. My pitman arm is on the way from All-Pro off road.

a8abb8fb.jpg

1146c774.jpg

thats what ive been waiting for. and let me know how the pitman arm works out as i will need one also. what is it made for TRE? or hiem?

how much suspension lift are you goin to end up with?

redranger4.0 said:
thats what ive been waiting for. and let me know how the pitman arm works out as i will need one also. what is it made for TRE? or hiem?

Heims. Hopefully i'll get the pitman arm quick, it's coming from all-pro fab.

I'm guessing around 8" maybe? I really have no idea, never measured fender height or anything with the 35's and 'glass. In the pic where i had the front end sitting at ride height, the top of the headlight came up to my shoulder and i'm 5'11". The fender measured 54"~ i believe.

Nice build. Gonna look real awesome when your done, and should work even better. :thumbsup:

did you have to get custom driveshafts for the d44 or just a bigger u joint? if its the u joint what size ?

You can get a 1310 yoke for the front D44 and the stock driveshaft will bolt up to it. I got lucky, mine already had a 1310 on it. The stock front axle (d35) has a shorter center chunk, so if you push the D44 forward about 1-2" (depends on the truck and the setup) the stock driveshaft will work.

bmxking5 said:
You can get a 1310 yoke for the front D44 and the stock driveshaft will bolt up to it. I got lucky, mine already had a 1310 on it. The stock front axle (d35) has a shorter center chunk, so if you push the D44 forward about 1-2" (depends on the truck and the setup) the stock driveshaft will work.

might as well upgrade though. i bought a 1350 yoke a couple weeks ago

Picked up my steering, got my shackles waggy shackles to work, finished welding the support bracket on the frame for the box, set the caster and welded the knuckles back on. Have both axle shafts/ctm's installed. Gonna clean up the old spindles and hubs tomorrow, paint the axle, and start assembling everything. Picking up my PSC 8" hydro ram on monday and my box drilled and tapped. Still tryin to find a fawkin steering shaft!

770bc5eb.jpg

My steering is 1.5" .250 wall. Here it is with the heims and misalignment spacers.

6b19cec2.jpg

Here is the steering next to a 31 spline 8.8 shaft.

c90cdd8d.jpg

d9f52184.jpg

313c7ca4.jpg

3479f169.jpg

Here's Yomie's '97 explorer.

982b655b.jpg

a72cb017.jpg

034x4 said:
Still tryin to find a fawkin steering shaft!

you should look into getting a borgeson

i had one put in my sas ex about a year ago and its been great ever since

great buildup by the way
keep it up

what does SAS stand for?

Gilberto...

My local shop, Mild 2 Wild 4x4 Customs, is drilling/tapping the box. On monday i'm picking it up with tabs and the hydro ram.

Here is his YJ. Dana 60 front, 14 bolt rear. Front leafs, rear quarter eliptical. chevy 350 propane injected. 44x18.50 Ground hawgs grooved/sipped on 15x12 trail-ready beadlocks.

41684a5e.jpg

His buggy in progress. Blue torch fusion chassis stretched and widened. Volvo portal axles. Irok's on 20" trail-ready beadlocks. chevy 350.

2ca6c5c8.jpg

My friend jonathans ZJ. His 60 with the truss, coil buckets, and lower link tabs all tacked on. Sitting with the springs in place, sort of, we still need to move the upper buckets to the rear.

134a826d.jpg

196c3987.jpg

Now my shiat.

My axle is now fully assembled except for the steering and the hydro steer tabs on the diff cover.

7373c18c.jpg

e8da28ee.jpg

eb319704.jpg

d92277c3.jpg

4caad07e.jpg

RockRanger said:
Soild Axle Swap Hang around long enough and you will be doing it to it is just a matter of time.

OOOOH. ok. out of curiosity, i have theses thign lying around in my garage, and im curious is i could use them in such a project.

fd69sk.jpg

my grandpa says they are a high pinion dana 44 and ford 9 inch. what does this mean? ;)

Back