• Register Today It's free!

thinkin bout thrownin in the towel and goin solid

Mud Bug 94 goin solid?

I got a dana 60 flat top,high pinion,with 4.10s and a sterling 10.25 with 4.10s both complete with stock tires and wheels too. I paid zip for the pair and figures id throw um in and beat the snot out of my high mileged explorer till the motor swap comes. i came up with a design for the leaf spring hangers i just want an opinion on them thanks for lookin. - Joe

the front hanger....
frontspringhanger.jpg

the rear shackle hanger/crossmember.....
frontshacklehanger.jpg

edit, the spring width is 39.25" not 30.25"

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

just checkin to make sure you were'nt puttin me down or something...

ok ok...heres the deal..1. I didnt think to take any...2. I didnt bolt it in or anything because I (just wanted to get an Idea of height ect) dont have u-bolts yet and didnt want to rebleed the 8.8 so I just unbolted the u-bolts and d-shaft and rachet straped it to the bump stops...since I have spring break next week (remember Im only a junior in HS yet) and an extra pair of hands I will mock up,weld the perches on and fit my homemade d-shaft...then re-install the 8.8 like the sterling was never there.....BTW...for the front springs I am getting K5 blazer front and rear springs and building my own pack...

i know this probly dosent matter but heres a pic of the 8.8 axle shaft compared to the 10.25...can you guess which is which?...the third is of the axle seal which i found interesting compared to all the other full floaters ive delt with.....

DSCN0432.jpg

DSCN0433.jpg

DSCN0434.jpg

posting to subscribe, i know i could use the button, but i'm too lazy for that, and plus, your thread gets bumped to the top, so dont let everyone down and post up some more pictures as the progress comes :D

hehe...yup...theyre beefy...heres the inner and outer bearings on the 10.25 sterling ...
bearing3.gif

bearing.gif

from the research done on pirate and other places...axle shaft breaking is almost unheard of..however several people have sheered all the flange bolts off..

thats why it was my choice..and they shave out really nice..(check out my build thread for pix of the shave job..)

i was gunna shaveit but i was out of razors lol... im not gunna because the thicker it is the harder i can hit rocks..well boulders:p: BTW i cant get over the axle seal...

Well I was thinkin (again) since i got my xploder for $0, and the axles for $0, im gunna call this the ultimate budget SAS build up....now, I have some 1/4 inch plate and some 2 X .25 inch pipe laying around so i was thinking of making the X-members out of it....heres a few blueprints (paint shop) of what i want the front crossmember/shackle hanger (i changed it to shackle foward because of snoboarders rig)to be....i want input on this please if possible

side view

newcrossmember.jpg

front view

frontcrossmember.jpg

Not bad. Personally, I would use regular square tubing since there's more surface area to weld the leaf spring mounts to.

ya, jsut get a 40 stick of 2x3 1/4", cut it to length and be done with it. You'll also need 3/8 flat stock for shackles, and a few pieces of quarter plate OR old leaf spring bushings to make the shackle hangers.

the red represents the welded areathe blue is the contimplated added supports...the third is my shackles...
newcrossmember3.jpg

frontcrossmember3.jpg

shackles.jpg
i think this should be enough welds for the job, no?

ahhh

the red represents the welded areathe blue is the contimplated added supports...the third is my shackles...
newcrossmember3.jpg

frontcrossmember3.jpg

shackles.jpg
i think this should be enough welds for the job, no?
I like it. It will be overkill strong. :thumbsup:

I'd still go square tubing..better contact area...and doesnt look hill-jacked..

yea..the inner seals were $30!!..big fawkers!!

I shaved the better part of 3/4in off the bottom..and the entire webbing off the sides...your gonna kick yer own azz when you get hung up on those..and you'll be stuck on the trail with a highlift thinkin "Wanderer was right..*******"..:p:

im a little nervous as to the bottoms of the pipe where the shackles hang. DOsent look like alot of weld there. Plus, how is it going to sit on the frame? I with wanderer, alot less work, cleaner look and stronger just to use 2x3 or 2x4.

Got some pics...
DSCN0435.jpg

level with a 32 next to it...
DSCN0439.jpg

and shackles...
DSCN0440.jpg

DSCN0437.jpg

DSCN0436.jpg

DSCN0441.jpg

and since i had the camera out....heres the odometer...

DSCN0438.jpg

Back
Top Bottom