Jon And Sheri's Vitamin D Wagon | Page 9 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Jon And Sheri's Vitamin D Wagon

As she sits now,
017.jpg

019.jpg

015.jpg

013.jpg

018.jpg

But it didn't start out like this.

We returned from our trip to Colorado Sept 2009 to find this waiting in the yard.

It needs a few little sumthuns--but it is a great start I do think.
Here is where we begin to take over the work started by trukmajik and dejello

94explorer001.jpg

94explorer003.jpg

94explorer002.jpg

94explorer004.jpg

94explorer007.jpg

94explorer006.jpg

94explorer005.jpg

9-11-2009092.jpg

9-11-2009090.jpg

updated pics ^^^^^how it was when I got it

Now here is how it looks as of 4-1-2010

got the wheels all shiny!

truck002.jpg

frostbite001.jpg

truck001.jpg

truck006.jpg

truck005.jpg

truck004.jpg

truck003.jpg

and as of 8-5-2010

IMG_1105.jpg

with swaybar^^^

without sway bar

IMG_1064.jpg

IMG_1061.jpg

revised shock towers and more flex-Big thanks to Dkchrist for coming over to weld em in. I owe him big time!!

IMG_1905.jpg

IMG_1903.jpg

With a top

IMG_1988.jpg

IMG_1986.jpg

IMG_1983.jpg

LED rock lights

IMG_1925.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Are we Done yet ? :D

OK, I wil try to get the list of todays events in order.

I woke up and had some coffee. Then scratched my stuff for a while and went outside to attack this thing.

I got the new coolant hoses in, decided it was best to get all of em.
Installed the new battery,just as Sparksaflyin showed up. I cranked it over and nothing, not even an encouraging skip. Not one cylinder was hitting.

Ok, I disconnected the #2 injector plug and had Mark crank the engine while I tried to get a voltage reading on the plug. My meter isn't really fast enough but I did see it changing state. This told me the ECU was "telling" the injectors to fire.
I then hooked up my timing light to the #1 spark plug wire, had Mark crank the engine again, and the timing light flashed. This told me we has spark.

Hmmm
Checking the schrader valve on the fuel rail, resluted in a spray of fuel. Ok, we have fuel pressure.
hmmm
So, in desperation I started removing parts from the "Old" engine to try to get a handle on this.
First I assumed the spark might be mis timed, so, I swapped the crank sensor. The "new" engines sensor was pretty dusty, so I was encouraged by that sign.
Cranked the engine and nada. hmmmm

So, let's see, matbe the coil pack is weak. removing a wire resulted in a seen arc, however, we can swap it right quick.

Got the "new" coilpack in , cranked it and nope again.

hmmm
Ok, I had squirted some transmission fluid into the cylinders, maybe it fouled the plugs. I tried the old set from the known to run engine, and nope.
hmmm
I then started to suspect timing chain, although the oil pressure gauge indicated there was good oil pressure, which rose while cranking.

So, I removed the #5 plug again, not only is it the easiest to get to, it is also the lowest compression cylinder on this engine at 186 psi

Checking the compression, ( this time Joshua cranked the engine for me) the guage jumped right up to 186 psi---cold. This is awesome but told me no clue as to why this engine will not run

About this time my lovely bride called saying she was about to get to Chanute, returning from a weekend shopping trip in Branson. If I leave now she will not have to wait. I said."well we wouldn't want that now would we" and headed out to grab her.
On the way home I grabbed a can of starting fluid.

When we got home I sprayed starting fluid into the throttle body, while Mark cranked the engine. Would you believe it fired up?

Ok, so we have a fuel delivery issue big time.
Hmm,
All I could put together out of all this in my head at this point was the fuel rail--injectors. So, in another act of desperation, I pulled the intake and went about the chore of swapping the injectors and fuel rail. Good thing I had extra gaskets.

I pulled the stuff from this motor, and then pulled the set from the original cracked head engine that moved the truck into the drive way earlier.
I cleaned it all up, swapped the regulator to the replacement rail, and put it all back together. Fishing those injectors in with a sore back was about all I could do for the day. I really don't care for that set up, but whatcha gonna do?

Anyway, I wiped off my hands, cranked the engine and it fired right up. :eek::eek::D

Wow, I was actually surprised. It blew a lot of smoke while the trans fluid all burned out, but quickly cleaned up and settled down to a nice smooth idle.

I have some coolant flush in there now, with the thermostat removed for good circulation.I also have 1 quart of trans fluid and a half a can of sea-foam in the crank case
I plan on running it again until warm tomorrow, then I will drain the fluids and refill.

But for now, could someone explain how a fuel rail could prevent an engine from even kicking? I could see one, maybe 2 bad injectors, but for all of it to fail? I would think 1 or 2 injectors firing would at least give you a slip or buck while cranking. This one has me stumped.

Or, is there a wiring issue I am not aware of? It seemed the injectors were all plugged in well to me. I am not sure which year engine is what here in my possession, did they change the injector plugs in the span of 90-94?

The injectors all looked identical to me.

TO DARN COOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOOT!!WOOT!!! THAT'S JUST GREAT JON!!!!!

SORRY I MISSED IT!!! I'M DANCING IN MY SEAT!!! I get shot gun!!

Humboldt curse:rolleyes:;)

FPR was swapped--same FPR was " no starting" , but I knew it was good--

Now, I might add in here-
the FPR was from the original engine in this truck. The "new " engine I just bought had no fuel pressure regulator, nor, was the hole for it plugged off. Someone before me swiped it I guess.

So, I swapped the regulator off the cracked head engine. It looks new, like it has been replaced before.

Now, you might think the fuel rail was clogged from sitting open for a long time. However, I checked this by disconnecting the return fuel line first. It sprayed with pressure and fuel.

Spy photos of the birth of the" EVIL TWINS"

:thumbsup:I'm proud of you buddy!!

joshuasparksPICS062.jpg

joshuasparksPICS065.jpg

joshuasparksPICS066.jpg

joshuasparksPICS063.jpg

joshuasparksPICS067.jpg

joshuasparksPICS068.jpg

joshuasparksPICS073.jpg

joshuasparksPICS071.jpg

Jon's the MAN!!:p:

..I'm a big fan of the job boss...:biggthump

joshuasparksPICS071.jpg

Glad to hear you got it running!:chug:

We were just talking about you in the chat earlier - I mentioned that you must have the engine running by now. Congratulations!

Good job, all is well with the cosmos once again.
carl_sagan

Very good, next project.

Who is the Mini-Rick helping you. :D

That's Joshua he's Marks(sparksaflyin) son. And what exactly is he doing with my old wheel and tire?

Just boredom I guess.

OK, so today was flush and fill day, I also re coated a filler neck as the one on here was rusty. While replacing it I installed the thermostat. I also changed the oil and filter.

OK, got it all wrapped up, Mark and I hop in to go for a ride, and ooof, something is wrong. This thing has no power.

Oh, silly me I didn't replace the ir filter yet.
I had to deal with a stripped knurled nut in the air box, but when I finally opened it up, I found a filthy, I mean very dirty K&N air filter, and a friggin rag shoved up into the maf. Ok, maybe it got sucked up there, but there it was.
I cleaned the maf the best I could, removed the rag and replaced the filter with a Fram paper filter. Got it all back together and it ran the very same, like it is not getting fuel or something. I mean I have to floor it to even stand a chance of it getting back up the driveway. It does not knock or ping like it is lean-just feel all choked up and powerless.
Reverse is the same.
However, it will rev in neutral. Not quite like it should though.

So, I swapped the fuel pressure regulator again, with the same results.

I have a feeling the MAF is dead.

It could be bad gas? there is not much remaining so I will try a few gallons of good and see if it straightens out.
I am not getting any check engine light, other than when the key is switched on.
Is there a way to read codes on these?
Help?

Sure that thing is in 2HI not 4LO ?

umm Parking brake off?

Have you checked spark on each wire, then have you ran it with wire un hooked and noticed any differances.

When its parked in neutral or park- does it wrap out quick and respond quickly to throttle response while not trying to move??

Back