My bumper build | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My bumper build

On the underside of that plate there is a piece of angle that runs full length of the mounting plate.
Could always just add another piece of plate on top of original if need be.
The plate by itself does look thin compared to mounting plates that I've seen.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Both things have been done. Added 2 more 1/4" triangles below the winch that tie it all together. Also mounts for a roller fairlead and have triangled pieces that go from the top of the opening down to the corner of the fairlead mount. Clevis mounts are welded to that. I haven't gotten my latest pics up, been trying to get this done and painted before this Sunday....got a group of 10 going to go play and hopefully will be trying out the winch!

Yeah, I went to school with Brian from 6-12 grade. Seen him a couple times, stopped by to see the Explorer and the B2 when I had it. I've talked with him on the board too.

Since I don't have the pics on me now, I thought I'd show off my paint skills!:biggthump Here's the bracing, and the plates in front, the roller fairlead is in the middle.....duhhh.:p:

IMG_5260s.jpg

s.jpg

I couldn't help myself and had to bolt it all together!:D I'm very happy with how it came out. Everything is done except tubing and I bought some 3/4" x 1/8" to run along the edge to fill the gap below the headlights and the rest of the way around. Then i'll grind all the little boogers off, prep, then paint!!

IMG_5283.jpg

IMG_5285.jpg

IMG_5288.jpg

Progress got held up a bit when I went to mount my fairlead and realized the I had centered the entire winch in the bumper, not the spool. So it was either offset the fairlead to one side or notch the bumper and move the winch...I chose the latter. More difficult, yes, but I'm happy I did.

IMG_5286.jpg

IMG_5287.jpg

How are the clevis mounts braced? They flat welded to the face? Seems like a weak point...

where did you mount the control mod for the winch?
im lookin at buying the same winch and i think i might make a bumper similar to yours but mine wont be as low pro cause im gunna make storage compartments in it to open from the top

The clevis mounts are welded to 2 faces. The 1/4" triangle in front, and the edge of the 1/4" side plate you see in the first pics of the build. I don't see any problem with strength.......hopefully I'm right!:rolleyes:

The control box goes on top, just don't have it on for the pic.

I know it's just Paint, but I'm having a really hard time deciding.... Maybe no tube?? But I want to run auxiliary lights in the middle above the winch.

IMG_5283-1.jpg

4runnerstyle.jpg

broncostyle.jpg

I vote #2 as well.

What type of winch is that?

#3 for sure!! the gen I front clip is too square for the #2 design IMO UNLESS you stretch out that center hoop to be a bit wider???

#2 for sure!! the gen I front clip is too square for the #1 design IMO UNLESS you stretch out that center hoop to be a bit wider???

maybe flatten out the side loops a little too, so that the sides are more horizontal.

I like it. Do you have any side view shots of how far it sticks out the front? Maybe some daylight pictures as well.

maybe flatten out the side loops a little too, so that the sides are more horizontal.

x2 on this.

Also, you can run it as is for a while, and add tube later...

Thanks guys! Yeah a little unsure what some of those #2's were? I think Fortune was actually saying the 3rd... Haha, I just need to buy tubing, make the center hoop and then mock up the other 2 with conduit or something. It's always dark when I get home from work and work on this thing so daylight pics will have to be Sunday.

This is the best side shot I've got in photobucket.
IMG_5276.jpg

yes #3 LOL similar to my Duff bumper hoops.... the support bars cut just under the headlights

great for our square front ends

Smittybilt XRC8 8000 lb. I think it was $269 + shipping!:D

K, thanks, I am in the market for another winch, for a different vehicle or a multi mount. I have a ramsey REP 8000 in my custom bumper, only issue is it is s l o w.

PS, after turdle pointed it out, I meant #3 as well.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

FYI that is one sweet ass bumper!! how did you cut the plates???? with the grinder?????????? no way you got that straight with a grinder = talent!

Back