Scott B's 93 Ranger XLT V8 | Page 12 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Scott B's 93 Ranger XLT V8

Scott's "new truck"

Hey Scott, you have been busy, looks good, I like the flares, I don't want to wish my life away....... but darn I can't wait till the marching orders for Moab to come out and we can start this grand adventure! :bounce: stay safe, Michael

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Our trucks have "insulators" between the inner and outer fenders, just forward of the door hinges. These help keep engine noise out of the passenger compartment, and keep dirt off the forward edge of the door.

Mine are made of closed-cell foam, and are very dry-rotted. (And red clay stained!) Since I had the inner fenders out to remove the flares, I was able to get to the insulators and replace them.

Ford did not have a listing for this part for a 1993. I checked for a 2006 - that number has been superseded. But, the parts are available!

insulators_pns.jpg

The parts have been re-designed. Instead of being foam, they appear to be an injection molded rubberized plastic. Stiff but flexible.

Whatever they are made of, it appears they will stay in place - and they fit quite well.

Here, you can a new one compared to an old one.

insulators.jpg

Teardown Started

I started the engine removal process!

Cooling system out. P/S drained and disconnected. A/C - it was already drained. (Need to get a set of disconnect tools.) Exhaust - cut off. Haven't pulled the cats yet - need a different length extension for my impact. MAF/air intake out. Drained transmission and engine oils. Disconnect throttle and cruise cables. And other stuff...

Teardown Continued

The engine and transmission are almost ready to come out. A couple of wires, the kickdown cable, and removal of the oil pressure sender - then out it comes!

Attachments

• EngComp1.JPG
    EngComp1.JPG
    100.4 KB · Views: 1,065
  • EngComp2.JPG
    EngComp2.JPG
    90.6 KB · Views: 1,082
  • EngComp3.JPG
    EngComp3.JPG
    96.8 KB · Views: 1,061

It's Empty!

Busy day. Engine and transmission have been removed.

Attachments

• EngRem2.JPG
    EngRem2.JPG
    97.1 KB · Views: 1,058
  • EngRem4.JPG
    EngRem4.JPG
    90.4 KB · Views: 1,038
  • EngRem3.JPG
    EngRem3.JPG
    91.2 KB · Views: 1,059
  • EngRem1.JPG
    EngRem1.JPG
    89.6 KB · Views: 1,057

No surprises - didn't even make that big of a mess.

The seals have been leaking for a while - the engine block and front part of the transmission case are covered with an oily, dirty sludge. At least the sludge is on the outside, not the inside!

Now to clean the engine compartment...

Anyone need some parts?

Attachments

• EngOut2.JPG
    EngOut2.JPG
    84.7 KB · Views: 1,112
  • EngOut1.JPG
    EngOut1.JPG
    87.5 KB · Views: 1,743

Work Continues

I've been busy prepping the truck for the new engine. I have a long list of things I want to do...

First off, I cleaned the engine compartment. It is hard to believe how much dirt I've been carrying around!

I originally wanted to repaint the engine compartment, but decided I really didn't want to remove the remaining components. Besides, it will get dirty the next time I am in the dirt.

Attachments

• Clean1.JPG
    Clean1.JPG
    97.3 KB · Views: 1,045
  • Clean2.JPG
    Clean2.JPG
    94.5 KB · Views: 1,004

Battery Cage

I repainted the battery tray with undercoating, and mounted a RuffStuff Optima Battery Cage - powder coated by Turdle.

(The fender splash shield is loose in these pictures.)

Attachments

• BatteryTray3.JPG
    BatteryTray3.JPG
    87.7 KB · Views: 1,006
  • BatteryTray2.JPG
    BatteryTray2.JPG
    106.7 KB · Views: 1,036
  • BattTray1.JPG
    BattTray1.JPG
    95.8 KB · Views: 1,053

Started fitting the conversion radiator...

Attachments

• RadiatorFit1.JPG
    RadiatorFit1.JPG
    114 KB · Views: 1,005
  • RadiatorFit2.JPG
    RadiatorFit2.JPG
    108.1 KB · Views: 1,023

Enlarged the transmission tunnel by folding back the body seam.

Attachments

• TransTunnelBefore.JPG
    TransTunnelBefore.JPG
    91.8 KB · Views: 1,012
  • TransTunnelAfter.JPG
    TransTunnelAfter.JPG
    64.5 KB · Views: 1,003

Changed the heater core (the one I pulled out was the original.)

Kind of hated to do this - the factory unit appeared much better built than this made in Mexico replacement. :(

Attachments

• HeaterCore.JPG
    HeaterCore.JPG
    64.9 KB · Views: 1,124

Rebuilt Seatbelts

I had my seatbelts rebuilt with new webbing. After 18 years, the old webbing was dirty, stiff and slightly frayed. Seeing as I am changing the interior color to black, I selected black webbing too.

The retractors were also cleaned and function checked.

Attachments

• SeatBelts.JPG
    SeatBelts.JPG
    82.9 KB · Views: 991

Trial Fit

Right about here...

Attachments

• Preview.JPG
    Preview.JPG
    88.2 KB · Views: 1,114

On-Board Air

I added an air tank under the bed (build thread)

Attachments

• Finished1.JPG
    Finished1.JPG
    86.7 KB · Views: 970

Wiring Harness

Over the holidays, i started re-working the wiring harness. The chassis harness and the engine harness are woven together. (On this truck, the computer is in the firewall, to the left of the steering column - next to the bulkhead connector.)

I removed the harness(es) from the truck, and removed the engine harness part - starting at the computer connector. At this point, I have 13 wires in need of new connections. (Of those, a couple will tie into the new engine harness.)

For an engine wiring harness, I bought one from Ron Francis Wiring. It is in "kit" form (as opposed to pre-assembled.) The advantage here is, I get to route all the wires - more work, but I will be able to retain the factory computer location.

Attachments

• WH1.JPG
    WH1.JPG
    99.8 KB · Views: 931
  • WH3.JPG
    WH3.JPG
    101.4 KB · Views: 960
  • WH2.JPG
    WH2.JPG
    90.8 KB · Views: 912

Speaking of computers...

I have installed the "new" engine computer - a fabled A9P!

Attachments

• Computer.JPG
    Computer.JPG
    75.9 KB · Views: 1,035

Interior Work

I have also been working on the interior.

The headliner has been recovered, and several panels have been painted black.

While the interior was out of the truck, I also covered the body panels with sound deadening (I forgot to get pictures.) Hopefully, the long road trips will be quieter...

EDIT: You can see the re-webbed seat belts here.

Attachments

• Black Interior.JPG
    Black Interior.JPG
    49.1 KB · Views: 923

The wiring harness I am using requires a car computer (vs. a truck computer.) I am not sure what the differences are.

Of all the car computers from that era, the A9P (auto) and A9L (manual) are supposed to be the best ones. By best, the thought is performance based. The A9s were used in Mustangs. Of course, many people say the various computers are the same (running parameters, etc.), so who knows? I don't think you can definitively determine that without seeing the actual firmware.

One of the guys here at work is a Mustang guy. He is building an '85, and was going to run an automatic. He changed his mind, and sold me the computer.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

..You know...You only have about 3 months to get this thing back to resembling a running truck...:popcorn:

..:scratch:..Maybe I should pack extra straps..:p:

Back