35" Tracs | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ahhhh. I'll have to see if I can get a set from the GM dealer I'm doing my BL at hahaha. I'm sure they wouldn't miss a set :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

sweet lol. so quick update, i found a pretty good deal on a superlift, so i may go with it instead. to shorten up why i may not get the spindles is because of the uca's. the crossmember needs to be dropped in order to get my uca's atleast level. the amount of money i'm spending on the spindles and the superlift crossmembers, i may as well get the used superlift. still pondering and pricing things out.

a question i have is if a 4wd knuckle is installed, all i need is the hubs and the discs in order for them to work on my 2wd?

and some stub shafts for the bearings ,,
you have to put stubs in, or the bearings will fall apart, so you will lose the wheels,

how am i supposed to get my hands on those? i don't think they sell those at your everyday autoparts store. i'm not sure how i can get those to work? could you or one go into detail?

the outer end of the cv has to go through the bearing as it is two half's put together,, the outer shaft end holds them together , so if the outer is not there , they separate and your wheel goes away,,
some of the guys that have taken the outer ends off of damaged, or broken cv axles and saved them,
maybe find a shop that has a couple of broken ones, or ask on here in a thread if anybody has some to spare ,,

Go to your local junkyard, tell the guy you just need the stubs from the CV Axle Shafts. They'll probably have a set laying off to the side or you'll just need to remove a set, it's pretty easy, take apart the CV axle so you just have the stub shaft that bolts onto the hub bearing assembly. There's probably companies out there that sell spare stub shafts for offroad trail repair to get you back to the house but you'd have to search around for that. You could also try going to a tranny shop and see if they'll give or sell you a set of junk CV's.

techieman 33 kind of did this,, he has a Mountaineer that was awd and wanted to use it as a 2wd, so he took out the front diff to take off weight, he used the stubs for a while,,

i also have used a stub when i broke a cv and had to get it home before,,

i clamped the shaft in a vise and smacked the end off, it was easy,, as the end is a big cup, that the cv bearing fits in,,

yes,, the end that goes through the bearing and the nut is all,

Oh ok cool. When I get to that point ill get more details. I just ordered the body lift yesterday and should be here thursday

Oh ok cool. When I get to that point ill get more details. I just ordered the body lift yesterday and should be here thursday

Very excited to see this! So not too happy with only 2wd?

lol i'm happy with 2wd i just want my truck to look bigger if you know what i'm saying. i'm wanting to hide the bodylift as best i can then decide whether i'm doing the spindles with superlift crossmembers or the superlift.

I have been tossing around the idea of 35s for awhile now. I've been waiting for my terra grapplers to wear out. But the time has come for new tires so I'm looking at another set of terras but I'm worried that since its my daily driver and im not looking to swap out the 4:10 gears yet, that I will stress the drivetrain too much. Would it be best to bite the bullet and get 33s or will I be fine going ahead with 35s?

It's certainly a bigger risk...how much of a benefit will you gain?

I could get away with 33s. In the long run I'd like to make my trac more capable on the trails.

I fixed the issue John was having with CV axles, by swapping out the IFS for a Dana 44. Now it seems it's time for bigger tires :)

y8y8utes.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yep, time to swap upto some 37's or atleast 36's. You can get H1 military surplus tires dirt cheap in those sizes. I picked up a set and recentered double beadlocks from another offroader I wheel with for when I get the rest of the parts for my SAS. I'll get surplus Super Swamper TSL SX's in a 36 from a guy on the JK site for dirt cheap.

IMG_3117.jpg

IMG_3126.jpg

Back