M90 rebuild (rudy) | Page 13 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

M90 rebuild (rudy)

well figured i would start a new thread.just a quick background.did the whole build on my explorer but built it using stock head gaskets and head bolts.did it really as a safety net and i just couldnt afford head studs at the time.well to say the least i blew the head gaskets off from it wile i was in the mountains on a forum trip about two years later.

i picked up a 1994 ranger,its got the 4.0 OHV and is a 5 speed 2wd.the plan is to pull the motor out of the explorer and rebuild it.

this thread will basically cover the rebuild and build up of the new ranger.it will basically end up as a street race truck.ive named it Rudy:D:D so let the fun begin.
:burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout:

UPDATE
new motor specs
BORE: 4" JE asymmetrical pistons (custom over bore)

20141031_163839_zpso5ifzafx.jpg

RODS: 6.058 Manley (longer rod)
20140226_134243_zpsdapxouhk.jpg

VALVES: IN-1.8 EX-1.5 Manley heavy duty (.150 over)
20160527_114556_zpsiohyyelp.jpg

20140515_162402_zpsftg0qlcd.jpg

20160313_161946_zpswgleqayt.jpg

20160318_160734_zpsxxxpuld8.jpg

Transmission:T5 hybrid from a 2006 Mustang and 93 Fox
HEADS: 93TM HEAVILY ported with custom brass guides and copper gaskets/O-ringed with ARP studs
CAM: 422 Comp cams with 988 springs and Toms custom lifters,push rods and 1.7 roller rockers
Complete blueprint and balanced internals
GM M90 supercharged with one 1" intercooler plates with ASP 8 rib belt conversion. .
pushing 16 lbs of boost with small shot of NOS
Running on E50
Dyno tuned by Dyno Tune Performance outa Virginia using SCT

old thread and pic
3800 M90 Build
ported and polished gm 3800 gen 2 m90
Water to air intercooled
port matched 76mm inlet and intake tube
mustang 75mm race tb
90mm maf
36lb injectors
255 fuel pump
sct 5bank dyno tuned
2.7" pulley 10lbs of boost!!;)
2012-06-09201057.jpg

2012-06-09201139-1.jpg

2012-06-09201207.jpg

and the new 1994 ranger 4.0 OHV 5 speed 2WD with 115,000 miles on it.o and i only paid $1,000 for it:shifty_ey
RUDY
IMG952013032295172932_zps77585c66.jpg

FB_IMG_1545061235211.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Those seats look awesome!
Are they light?
Comfortable?
Do the bolts that go into the bottom of the seat go into a metal frame?
Just curious of the seats construction.
2nd Gen Explorer seats leave a lot to be desired.

They are 37 lbs each, lighter than stock.they are really comfortable and supportive for as big as I am, someone smaller would fit even better.I dont honestly know, it does feel like there is a metal frame in there but hard to tell. Im really happy with them for the price

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

So basically got the bed ready for a final sand then I can put some sealer on it and spray real primer. Finished the bedliner today also.turned out pretty good especially considering I wont ever use my bed and its covered 99% of the time..

Got my new blue top battery in yesterday as well as my missing fuses for my under hood distribution block.plan to finish up moving the battery during the week.once thats done im going to mount my front heat exchanger, pump and lines.

Hopefully next weekend I can finally mount the exhaust and then throw the supercharger on for the time being.then i can finally have some fun till I get my pistons and rest of new motor done!!;)

20140809_130611_zpsyjfqpwet.jpg

20140809_174556_zpseacz5ynv.jpg

And a little final touch ;)

20140809_184809_zps48v1xqwe.jpg

Yup, get that M90 on there!
Im betting your truck will be crazy with just that added.

I thought your intake air temps were already at ambient. Is this for when you up the boost?
It really doesn't get any better than ambient temps.

I thought your intake air temps were already at ambient. Is this for when you up the boost?
It really doesn't get any better than ambient temps.

My water temps in the cooler never got above ambient...but yea max I saw [MENTION=234733]10[/MENTION]lbs was think around 140*ish but yes its for when I boost up..I plan to run minimal 16lbs.thats getting up there for m90.probably end up around 18-20 but thats about max I can spin it safely. .the lower the better..the stage 2 claims 110-160* cooler temps, that means ill be ambient least till about 12 lbs.that means full timing ;)

I think im gonna sell the ""1" short stack" intercooler I have and get their 2.25" stage 2 ic.it claims huge cooler over the SS one I have, this way I dont think ill need the water meth kit I was gonna get.here is a link..
http://shop.zzperformance.com/store/p/196-Intercooler-Cores.aspx

So I have come up with a better idea and from what ive asked or read it will work better..im going to keep the 1" short stack and buy another 1" Short stack IC.then stack them on top of each other.making a 2" dual core intercooler. .they will be run in parallel with each other, so both get fed cool water from the front mount radiator..so its on order as well as all my gaskets to mount.thats also why the call it ""short STACK";)

said people running them stacked see ambient temps up to 14-16 lbs of boost.im sure thats on the high side but either way if I can be ambient the whole time or under ambient on the track, I can run alot of timing very safe......OR more boost!! Lol

Do they make a better pump than that cobra pump im using?? Its kind of loud and honestly it got very hot to the touch. :(

Im getting really impatient trying to wait till the exhaust is done to throw this charger on..so many other threads got me missing BOOST!!!

double stack

That is a great idea to double stack!
Put the one that is first in series on the bottom so the coldest is at the outlet for best results.
Look for a Mezeire pump, the Lightning guys use them all the time. I switched to one years ago and never looked back.
Shop around for one with the fittings that you want or the best price.
http://www.steeda.com/meziere-mustang-remote-intercooler-pump-621-WP136S/

Put the one that is first in series on the bottom so the coldest is at the outlet for best results.
Look for a Mezeire pump, the Lightning guys use them all the time. I switched to one years ago and never looked back.

Was going to run them parallel.so they both get cold water directly from the pump.basically put a "T or Y" on the line coming from the pump to feed each input for the IC.then the outputs would join in a "T or Y" to go back to the cooler.this way they both get fresh cold ambient water from the pump.both ic inlet and outlet is only 1/2" where the pump is 3/4".idk if this will help after two IC is installed but I think its restricting flow right now, maybe why pump gets so hot to touch.

Ill check that pump out, im not to impressed with mine, works good for time being tho:salute:

so what is the difference between that pump and this one?

https://www.meziere.com/ps-892-0-WP136S.aspx

pump

Probably no difference

JD, parallel is better yet!

Probably no difference

JD, parallel is better yet!

K just wanted to make sure I wasnt missing something. That pump looks like a BEAST compared to this little ol thing I got ..lol

Battery is relocated, turned out really nice I think.

20140814_152509_zpszb8pm3ge.jpg

20140814_152242_zpshr9ua37h.jpg

20140814_191442_zpsum9f8psf.jpg

O and I swear it just happened to be coincidental that the speakers and battery case turned out to be Reaper series. I didn't plan it nor did I notice it till it was pointed it out to me.lol

reducing flow restriction

Thanks for posting the link to that very informative thread. It seems to me that reducing flow restriction is the most effective method to increase cooling. Next would be increasing the surface area of the intercooler and heat exchanger without increasing airflow and coolant flow restriction. Then increasing the capacity of the pump which has the penalty of increased power consumption. And lastly increasing the volume of the cooling system.

Thanks for posting the link to that very informative thread. It seems to me that reducing flow restriction is the most effective method to increase cooling. Next would be increasing the surface area of the intercooler and heat exchanger without increasing airflow and coolant flow restriction. Then increasing the capacity of the pump which has the penalty of increased power consumption. And lastly increasing the volume of the cooling system.

I never really had an issue with any of my setup.the inlet and outlet of the ic is a restriction tho, it has a pretty small size.I believe thats why my pump was running so hot, from what ive read the Bosch pump doesnt like restrictions. The pump is 3/4 out but restricts down to 1/2 for the ic..

If I left my boost at the 10 lbs I wouldnt have any issues but planning on going up alot more.a second core should drastically help, it also will add less restriction on the pump I would think..I also plan to try and adjust the pressure setting on my heat exchanger cap.

Ideally I want to see ambient till atleast 12-14lbs [MENTION=234476]wo[/MENTION]t with the new setup, I was seeing pretty much ambient till about 6-8lbs before, peaking in the 140s at 10lbs:salute:

pressure setting

I don't understand the advantage of a pressurized system vs a non-pressurized system. Unlike air, water is basically incompressible. That means its density stays about the same as long as it doesn't vaporize (boil). If its density stays constant then I think its coolant transfer capacity stays constant for a fixed temperature. Your IAT should be comparable to the coolant temperature in your intercooler and is well below boiling at atmospheric pressure. I don't think increasing (or decreasing) the pressure will make any difference unless the coolant temperature is near boiling.

Just like in electronics, placing two intercoolers or heat exchangers in parallel will reduce restriction (resistance) and increase the coolant flow (current) for an applied pump pressure (voltage). That's why a stacked plate cooler is more effective than a finned single tube multi-loop cooler.

pumps

Just adding my experience with the Ford racing pump and Mezeire pump.
I used the Ford racing pump with one intercooler radiator for a while. worked ok. When I added a second intercooler radiator the coolant flow dropped to almost nothing. I thought the pump went bad so I ordered a brand new one. Same almost nothing flow. I switched to the Mezeire, it flowed better with two intercooler radiators than the Ford racing pump with one intercooler radiator. I can see the flow of coolant returning to my intercooler in the reservoir and I can put my finger in it to feel the strength of the flow as well. That is how I measured flow. I did not flow coolant into a bucket.
I also took apart the Ford racing pump and was surprised to see the pump blades are magnetically driven and can be stalled with the motor still spinning.
The Mezeire is direct drive. The Ford lightning only runs the pump at certain times and I believe the GT500's are the same. I run mine all the time for consistent temps for bracket racing so my application is different.
I have no experience with the ZR1 pump so I can not add to the discussion on that one.

Pressurized

I don't understand the advantage of a pressurized system vs a non-pressurized system. Unlike air, water is basically incompressible. That means its density stays about the same as long as it doesn't vaporize (boil). If its density stays constant then I think its coolant transfer capacity stays constant for a fixed temperature. Your IAT should be comparable to the coolant temperature in your intercooler and is well below boiling at atmospheric pressure. I don't think increasing (or decreasing) the pressure will make any difference unless the coolant temperature is near boiling.

Just like in electronics, placing two intercoolers or heat exchangers in parallel will reduce restriction (resistance) and increase the coolant flow (current) for an applied pump pressure (voltage). That's why a stacked plate cooler is more effective than a finned single tube multi-loop cooler.

On the pressurized system I see only one advantage.
When the intercooler cracks in the intake manifold under boost you will have pressure blowing coolant out of your non pressurized tank. Under vacuum your intake manifold will suck the tank dry and then suck air.
With my sealed intercooler system the signs of a cracked intercooler were misfires after deceleration (when vacuum is highest) and misfiring and running rough at idle. If I kept the rpm a little high it would clear up and I could drive it home with the cracked intercooler(in intake manifold). I would have to believe that if it were not sealed I would have sucked in way more coolant on decel, maybe even hydro locked the engine with coolant and Boom!
I must say that I was using a heater core for an intercooler and it cracked once a year under extreme torture. I have not heard of anyone else having a cracked intercooler so the point may be unimportant.

All the stuff I have read shows that in a pressurized system the pump will flow less.I know when I pull my cap off the motor changes sound, like it free up some.in all honesty I probably could just keep using the Bosch pump and be fine, I just didnt like how hot it got to the touch and was VERY loud..

Testing and results are very deceiving tho.one pump that does great in one setup may suck in another. Im looking towards the varimax 410110 now.the ZR1 pump is over $800 and no way or how would I spend that...the varimax has very good results and reviews that ive found.it flows the same as the ZL 1 pump,25% more than the Bosch

Back