My First Explorer, 2000 EB | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My First Explorer, 2000 EB

As per the instructions above here's the info:
2000 Explorer Eddie Bauer Edition 5.0
I'm from Parsons KS and you can contact me easily through a PM here.

Well, they aren't good pics. They were provided by the seller using a cell phone. But this is my 2000 Explorer Eddie Bauer Edition. I am going to "visit" it today at the sellers house and pull the radiator. My next day off I get to install a new one (would do them both today, but had to order the radiator). Jon (Turdle) has already provided me with the link to the radiator replacement thread. (Thanks again Jon)

Mods will be slow due to funding and the need to finish putting an engine in my other vehicle (seen below). Probably just go with exhaust and slightly more aggresive tires when funds allow. Any suggestions for basic upgrades? LOL I'm a seasoned Veteran with Thunderbirds, but a newbie with Explorers.

Explorer01.jpg

Explorer02.jpg

Explorer03.jpg

Explorer04.jpg

Explorer05.jpg

Explorer06.jpg

Explorer07.jpg

My other vehicle can be seen here:

GT_Touched_SM.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Next task is replacing the DPFE sensor. Then the big one.. Installing that monster Transmission cooler and filter. Pretty sure thats going to involve removing the grill guard, bumper, and grill...

Any volunteers?? :) I'll grill Burgers... :)

Next task is replacing the DPFE sensor. Then the big one.. Installing that monster Transmission cooler and filter. Pretty sure thats going to involve removing the grill guard, bumper, and grill...

Any volunteers?? :) I'll grill Burgers... :)
Still much easier than Torque Monster header install. :p

LOL True, and I truly wish I had the funds to experience that difficult install... alas.... I do not have the extra 5-700 required to purchase a set of torque monsters, or even a set of cheap knockoffs.

Well, got the DPFE sensor put in. Not real easy, but not the joint breaker I thought it would be. Just had to think things through before acting on it. Time will tell if that corrects the code. Even with the old DPFE the code would stay gone a week or two after clearing before raising its ugly head again.

Started installation of bigger Transmission cooler tonight. Had to remove the grill guard and the grill which wasn't as big a PIA as I thought it would be. The transmission cooler was salvaged from a V10 F350. I'm sure it will get the job done. It fit beautifully right behind the bumper, hanging low enough to catch air from the vents in the bumper but not so low as to catch on anything. The cooler is installed, just not plumbed yet. I'm working on installation of the external filter now. I need to pick up some more supplies before I can continue so its a good time to break. Besides, its 1:00 am!

Poor Explorer all torn up...
20170602_222128.jpg

Size comparison, Old cooler on the left, new cooler on the right. I removed the "wings" used for mounting the cooler in the F350.
20170602_222201.jpg

There are tabs on the top that when bent back work very well for mounting in the Explorer.
20170602_222259.jpg

The cooler as seen behind the bumper
20170602_222328.jpg

By the way, Still have that P0401 CEL after installing the new DPFE sensor. Gonna check for bad tubes and if they prove to be good, I guess I'll have to install a new EGR valve and the hard line from the manifold up.

Ok, got the job done. Big transmission cooler, external transmission filter, all buttoned up.

I got lucky and found a great place to put the filter by bolting it to the bracket that holds my grill guard. Its right behind (actually IN) the bumper cover, next to the fog light housing.

20170603_164717.jpg

I have it plumbed so that the fluid goes from the transmission to the radiator, to the auxiliary cooler, to the filter then back to the transmission. I did this for two reasons, the radiator before the cooler because thats the way the factory did it. The filter between the cooler and the transmission because its a used cooler from an F-350 V10. Although I flushed it thoroughly I feel better having the filter right after it just in case there is anything left in there. Once I got all the new parts put on and plumbed I crawled under the truck and dropped the transmission pan, installed a new internal filter, and of course 5 quarts of fresh fluid. One of the hardest parts of dropping the pan and replacing the factory filter (to me) is knowing just how much fluid to replace. With oil its easy, most all of the old oil is in the pan so you put however much oil the car calls for. So I carefully collected as much of the fluid I drained (both from the lines and factory cooler up front and the pan underneath) and measured it so I I'd know how much to put into the transmission. I collected 5 quarts, so I put 5 quarts in. I am going to keep a sharp eye on it however as I did of course spill quite a bit on the floor.

Overall, I'm happy with it. I'll see what kind of transmission temps I get out in AZ. There is lots of room around the cooler so if I need to I can put a couple small fans on the cooler.

Nice, I will have to look into that for my EX when I get the front end replaced.

Well since moving to AZ, I have had to replace the Alternator, and the battery. Those were unexpected expenses.
I also took my regular 2 U-Joint driveshaft in for new U-Joints and balancing. When I took out the double cardan shaft and put the newly redone driveshaft in I still had vibrations. I tried repositioning it on the diff flange but still got vibrations. Finally on the third try it dawned on my thick skull that it may be the FRONT driveshaft vibrating. I pulled the front driveshaft and headed for Arizona driveshaft, taking the long way so I could hit I-10 and go to 75mph legally... no vibration. I'll post a plug... Arizona driveshaft is friendly, fast, and they do good work.
I installed the freshly redone front driveshaft tonight, took it out on the interstate and went clear up to 90... smooth all the way. Well.. actually the AT tires began complaining about 85 but really... how often am I going to set the cruise at 85 in an Explorer?
Next I am going to have to bite the bullet and take it to a shop and see if a pro can fix the CEL light. I know what it is (P0401) but not how to fix it. I suppose I should try replacing the EGR valve but how often do those go bad?
Next on the upgrade list is a couple of fans on the Transmission cooler. It works fine at road speeds but not at slow speeds where it is really needed.

Those Stupid P0401 codes are such a pain! Really there should be a aftermarket system for EGR stuff on these old cars that just replaces everything that needs to be done and blocks off all the nonsense that really does not work.

I really think the 401 is an exhaust leak issue. Pressure loss. The lower egr hose port of the dpfe sensor did not see a difference from itself and the upper hose port of the sensor (ref), when the PCM commanded it and expected it.

You can apply vacuum to the egr valve while the engine is idling and listen for a stumble. Stumble =EGR valve good

The DPFE is iffy. even a new one. Try to find a metal one somewhere.

The only other thing is the vacuum, and the vacuum regulator that switches vacuum to the egr valve when the PCM tells it to. it is an air valve solenoid. I guess you could apply some voltage to it, which should make it actuate and result in the stumble idle as above. That would verify the system is working, when told to.

Now, if the DPFE doesn't see a difference in pressure between the 2 hoses when the PCM says it should, p0401 will be set.

I think if the valve stays open it will trigger a p0402.

If you look at all of the EGR code possible though I think the troubleshooting part has been done for us.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/obd-ii-diagnostic-trouble-codes-dtcs.228242/

P0400 Exhaust Gas Recirculation Flow Malfunction
P0401 Exhaust Gas Recirculation Flow Insufficient Detected
P0402 Exhaust Gas Recirculation Flow Excessive Detected
P0403 Exhaust Gas Recirculation Circuit Malfunction
P0404 Exhaust Gas Recirculation Circuit Range/Performance
P0405 Exhaust Gas Recirculation Sensor A Circuit Low
P0406 Exhaust Gas Recirculation Sensor A Circuit High
P0407 Exhaust Gas Recirculation Sensor B Circuit Low
P0408 Exhaust Gas Recirculation Sensor B Circuit High

So, IMO the 401 low flow is from either a leak somewhere ( exhaust manifold gasket, egr tube, egr tube hoses to DPFE split or blown out, DPFE blown out ) or possibly a clog in the egr metal tube between the orifices .

If the hoses and DPFE continue to blow out, or if you experience the hoses being blown off the EGR tube connections,
clogged cats.

Hope this helps.

Don't know that the DPFE is blown out, and I've never had a hose blow off of the EGR tube connectors. I need to get a vacuum pump to test with I guess. But what you said does make sense..

Took the Explorer to Buena Vista CO with good friends Turdle (and lovely wife Sheri), and Gman. Had a great time camping, and hitting a couple trails. Had to use 4WL just to get to the campsite! (well, Jon and I did... Gregg and his Supertruck only had to use 2WD low and his locker rear diff) I lost some pics while transferring them from phone to puter but still have some nice ones.

0803171612.jpg

0803171558.jpg

0803171551a.jpg

0803171436.jpg

0803171424.jpg

0803171422c.jpg

0803171421.jpg

0803171411a.jpg

Love this place where you guys are at. Wheeler lake is also another good trail to do. My club just did that trail last weekend.

Thats good cause I lost about half of my pics from the trip while I was transferring them to my computer. :(

I will never forget that trip. I mean, in so many ways. Like, for one, next time I think we'll both be pulling campers and staying in the camper hilton.

I'm getting ready to clean our camper right now. Heading to the mountains for labor day. You really should get one. They are fun!

Ok I have a question for those more knowledgeable about these... I have a hose that is deteriorating but I don't know what it is. It has a connector like a fuel line. Its on a 2000 5.0 explorer. Its the bigger horizontal line in the pic.

0902171248.jpg

Back