Fit 2 mufflers photos?? | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Fit 2 mufflers photos??

The placement of a cross over doesn't gain any power unless it could be right behind the header collectors, basically under the transmission bell housing. Where they all go is too far back to gain any airflow, but it does alter the sound. It can make it a hair quieter, or smooth out some rumble etc. The mufflers dictate the sound and level much more than the rest of the system. The cats and cross overs alter that just a little.

So I'd concentrate on doing it without any big restrictions in the pipe connections/joints. An "H" pipe is simple and easy to so without hurting flow at all. Some "X" pipes look tight, the curves and merge shape look a little "busy" to me. Make them big enough to match the final pipe sizes for that section.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Another photo showing the muffler placement and how the second inlet was capped off on these Saleen stainless Borla mufflers. The mufflers are straight through with no internal baffles so was no issue with running 1 to 1 instead of 2 to 1

A41EF57A-9238-4E32-9A8C-2E99DDB9FAC7.jpeg

Why do you want to add a crossover?

Why do you want to add a crossover?
I've updated my exhaust to true dual's. Thinking it is going to even out and even improve the sound a bit. Tuner recommended X-pipe over H-Pipe but not sure why. Right now my torque at the wheels is 324ftlbs

For those who are interested here is the driveshaft clearance with the truck sitting on the ground.

73AA4B00-99E3-4E03-8FBB-6314FFF09D36.jpeg

I'm sure you are about satisfied with your exhaust sound now. But for anyone wanting to come close to the same thing, I hunted for other Borla Pro XS mufflers due to a thread about finding one certain size. They are just slightly hard to get in some part numbers, but they have similar dimensions for most of them.

Most were just a hair over 4" thick, with a 14-19" body, close to 9" wide, which is a large size for good sound control. I believe those can fit in pairs, stacked one above the other, ... I think. I believe there is space for close to that 8.5" of vertical muffler size. The versions that have just one inlet and outlet run about $105, those with a pair of inlets are at least $50 more. They are all expensive, prices have jumped and they were already high.

Here's one I put in my wish list; Borla 40349 Borla ProXS Mufflers | Summit Racing

The models with just one inlet and outlet are almost all short 14" sized, one that is 19" long is about $30 more; Borla 400484 Borla ProXS Mufflers | Summit Racing

I'm sure you are about satisfied with your exhaust sound now. But for anyone wanting to come close to the same thing, I hunted for other Borla Pro XS mufflers due to a thread about finding one certain size. They are just slightly hard to get in some part numbers, but they have similar dimensions for most of them.

Most were just a hair over 4" thick, with a 14-19" body, close to 9" wide, which is a large size for good sound control. I believe those can fit in pairs, stacked one above the other, ... I think. I believe there is space for close to that 8.5" of vertical muffler size. The versions that have just one inlet and outlet run about $105, those with a pair of inlets are at least $50 more. They are all expensive, prices have jumped and they were already high.

Here's one I put in my wish list; Borla 40349 Borla ProXS Mufflers | Summit Racing

The models with just one inlet and outlet are almost all short 14" sized, one that is 19" long is about $30 more; Borla 400484 Borla ProXS Mufflers | Summit Racing

When I spoke to the folks at Borla they told me that that muffler was the replacement for the ones that Saleen used on the (XP8). I don’t know if it’s identical or if there were some changes made over the past 22 years. The only thing that I know is you cannot get the same intercooled tip size now - The ones they have today are bigger.

When I spoke to the folks at Borla they told me that that muffler was the replacement for the ones that Saleen used on the (XP8). I don’t know if it’s identical or if there were some changes made over the past 22 years. The only thing that I know is you cannot get the same intercooled tip size now - The ones they have today are bigger.
im pretty sure if itds the proxs there were slight changes. i have that on my sohc. it used to be called the turbo XL, and i want to say there were slight differences between the two... and i assume there will be changes to the packing etc in 22 years ;) :D

Borla still makes a muffler they call a turbo model, and it's the same size as the Pro XS models. The turbo name now usually means a quieter muffler due to an "S" path made through the case, a longer path with two full 180* turns. I doubt Borla used that design, but I noticed the model when I was comparing all of their mufflers.

The Borla tips they make now come in more varieties, and yes they are all larger than the normal tail pipe sizes. I prefer their rectangular tips, which are a little wider than the height. So a 2.5" pipe size model has an outlet dimension of 3.385"/2.875", and the 2.25" version has a 2.75"/2.5" outlet.

They are much more expensive now also. I paid almost $35 less for each of the 2.25" model, now they are $88 each from Summit; Borla 20115 Borla Intercooled Exhaust Tips | Summit Racing

im pretty sure if itds the proxs there were slight changes. i have that on my sohc. it used to be called the turbo XL, and i want to say there were slight differences between the two... and i assume there will be changes to the packing etc in 22 years ;)
Borla still makes a muffler they call a turbo model, and it's the same size as the Pro XS models. The turbo name now usually means a quieter muffler due to an "S" path made through the case, a longer path with two full 180* turns. I doubt Borla used that design, but I noticed the model when I was comparing all of their mufflers.

The Borla tips they make now come in more varieties, and yes they are all larger than the normal tail pipe sizes. I prefer their rectangular tips, which are a little wider than the height. So a 2.5" pipe size model has an outlet dimension of 3.385"/2.875", and the 2.25" version has a 2.75"/2.5" outlet.

They are much more expensive now also. I paid almost $35 less for each of the 2.25" model, now they are $88 each from Summit; Borla 20115 Borla Intercooled Exhaust Tips | Summit Racing
The Borla Mufflers used by Saleen on the Explorer have no path or tube inside between the dual inlets and single outlet. During install of my two systems I saw it was an open chamber inside both mufflers.

That's what I figured, one of the reviews of a new Borla muffler showed a point inside one that had two outlets.

All of the many straight through mufflers seem to look the same inside of them, the Magnaflow etc. I'm interested to know how the Cherry Bomb version sounds given their Vortex model has a center mounted divider in them. The path is split in two and diverted outward towards the sides of the case. I'd expect that to be a hair more restrictive, but with a similar sound to other straight through mufflers.

PREVIEW:

BIG WHITE Ford Explorer is in for latest updates - 1st is a X Pipe for the dual Borla Saleen XP8 exhaust systems that were previously installed.

#saleenexplorer #xp8explorer #saleenxp8 #saleenexplorerxp8 #Saleen #saleenfordexplorerxp8 #xp8explorer #saleenxp #saleenfordexplorer #Ford #fordexplorer #saleenlife #saleens #saleenperformancevehicles #saleenperformance #saleennation #saleenonly #saleenspeedlab #saleenmustang #loweredexplorer #fordexplorerfans #xp8 #fordexplorerxlt #fordexplorereddiebauer #fordexplorerxp8 #fordexplorerlimited #powerdynesupercharger #powerdynesuperchargers #2000fordexplorer #SuperchargedFordExplorer #borlaexhaust

78F28B9D-AF02-4C00-A2E8-1BC19FE5B363.jpeg

head turner for sure, in fact if I saw you on the road I would have to chase you down to give you a big thumbs up, what a nice explorer!!!

head turner for sure, in fact if I saw you on the road I would have to chase you down to give you a big thumbs up, what a nice explorer!!!
^^^this!!!! your X is so clean!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I like your welder, he's very good. If you could cut up some 2.5" piping straights and bends, you might get him to weld up a pair of cat pipes. What kind of emissions laws do you have there, can you use any universal cats? I've looked and looked at various cats many times. Choosing one is hard, to find one that has great large dimensions, plus has a high flowing catalyst medium.

Back