swapping 1998 V8/4R70W/4406 into 1999 SOHC 2wd | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

swapping 1998 V8/4R70W/4406 into 1999 SOHC 2wd

Theres a lot to be taken loose underneath just to be able to pull the engine and trans. I'll spend the time to get it a little cleaner before I start. it's just time!? LOL.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yes and no
Pull rear driveshaft
drop trans crossmember
drain t case and trans pan, replace pan
drop t case (awd no wiring) with crossmember out the t case hangs way down, makes access much easier
loose front d shaft from front diff
Cut exhaust pipes flush with back of trans tailhousing
loosen starter from trans

then everything else is on engine/ top side

pull engine, trans, all wiring with exhaust all right out the front

I have it down to a two day deal

sawzall is your buddy
I just happen to be pulling the 5.0 from a sport trac right now (the pic I posted)

yes and no
Pull rear driveshaft
drop trans crossmember
drain t case and trans pan, replace pan
drop t case (awd no wiring) with crossmember out the t case hangs way down, makes access much easier
loose front d shaft from front diff
Cut exhaust pipes flush with back of trans tailhousing
loosen starter from trans

then everything else is on engine side

pull engine, trans, all wiring with exhaust all right out the front

sawzall is your buddy
Ok. yeah, I think you're a bit confused where I'm at in the process. I've got the V8 sitting on the floor in the shop. The 2wd transmission came out with it. I left the exhaust under the donor to be pulled when I need it. I still need to build or come up with a transmission. I'm talking about pulling the SOHC from the vehicle I'm going to be driving. I don't want to chop that one (the 99) up.

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh yes I was
Pulling SOHC is oh so much fun let me tell you how much I love those

I just did that too

With the trans crossmember out access to the t case bolts and trans berllhousing bolts is a snap, let the drivetrain hang way down on the engine mounts

Since it's 2wd for now, that makes it easier. You're trying to convince me to take off work and get into the shop!?

quit your job and work on trucks full time!!

you know you want to

quit your job and work on trucks full time!!

you know you want to
I used to be a HMMWV mechanic at an Army depot. I got my fill of it and then found a desk job. Then when the plandemic happened, we all found we could be just as effective from home!

I have worked from home since 2015 it is the way to go!

Definitely gonna make something happen today.

IMG_5324.jpeg

Cool! I’ve got a sport track on my lift right now

Outside lifts are cool

I got a date with a tranny tonight. After all, it IS rainbow month. 🤨

IMG_5331.jpeg

Excellent!!!

Guess I’m nearing a stand still…. Something isn’t right here.

IMG_5332.jpeg

image.jpg

Accumulator spring is broken very common makes for a wicked hard shift

While I wish I could be done with this project, apparently we're gonna take it slow and easy.... I've ordered the sleeve kit for this bad tranny, so maybe I'll get back on this one later. I plan on rebuilding the engine that came in pieces with the 98 EB, and eventually get that one driving too with this fixed tranny. The 98 EB needs lots of work on the roof. Seams cracking/rusting, sunroof has been taped up, so I'll have to figure out if I can fix the issues there or if I need to cut a patch from the parts MM and remove the sunroof completely--the liner on the sunroof cover(?) is torn and I'll have to look into fixing/doing away with all that. Then it needs paint on at least the roof. I'm wondering if I could afford some nice paint and do some sort of not-quick, but not fully stripped paint job because I think the 98 EB will eventually become my primary explorer and the 99 will probably go to my son in a few years when he starts driving.

In the 98 EB I bought (with the intentions of putting this motor in and driving, but I decided my 99 was in better shape to do the swap) is a working transmission that I'll probably pull tomorrow morning and bolt up to the 5.0l ready to go in the 99.

There's entirely too much "shifting" around in this project. But I guess such is tranny life??

Parts swapping is what we do

If moonroof is in real bad shape just unbolt it and find a better one to bolt in, plenty of them out there.

Good Paint is really expensive right now! Of course everything is… until gas and diesel prices drop no end in sight to this inflation
Good thing we all drive old rigs!

1) Is there a way to know if the oil pump is working in a 4406 without cracking it open? This thing has some silicone around the seam that doesn't look factory, but doesn't look like an idiot did it either.

2) I spent 5 hours today trying to get the trans/xfer case out of the 98EB and the engine wasn't even in it to hold me up. First I had to grind the left side exhaust pipe flange bolts off at the crossmember to get the pipe out from under the transmission. Then, you can't pull that pipe out without pulling the crossmember, which means you have to have a jack under the trans. So I had dad's trans jack... The transmission would not stay on top of the jack. THEN, the front drive shaft bolts WOULD NOT break loose, front or rear! THEN, I forgot to take the cooler lines off the transmission, so they're bent now. THEN, the whole thing felt off the jack and hit the floor, narrowly missing my arm! But the transmission is out.

3) After all that trouble to pull a mostly detached transmission, I realize it's going to be MUCH easier to install an engine/trans/xfer case from the top WITHOUT the body on. And that effort calls for a time lapse video!

4) I will need to look up the U joints to rebuild the expedition rear shaft I got before I put it in. That is one thing I dislike: u joints going bad in a rear shaft. Is the piece that bolts on the pinion the same between explorer and expedition?

5) Thinking about doing a 1" body lift and a TT lift with the F150 spring trick (just one leaf maybe??). I already have a new complete set of front suspension components. I have new Ranger hubs. I realized my knuckles aren't really knuckles. They're 2wd spindles. I have always thought these things had unit hub assemblies... So I need to hit the JY and get some 4wd knuckles.

6) I REALLY want to pull the body tomorrow morning, but if I take the time to get it all on video for youtube, it'll be an all day event. I would LOVE to do a video showing me driving the explorer into the lift, doing every little step, and then driving it out. But I think reality is getting in the way. I need my DD back!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Here’s what I’m working with. Blue 98 Merc. White 98 EB. Red 99 Ex soon to be V8 4wd! And doing all the heavy moving is the 73 Bronco with 2000 5.0/4r70w/D20.

IMG_5347.jpeg

Back