ExplorerEB96's X under the knife | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

ExplorerEB96's X under the knife

How do the LTB's ride on the roads?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Originally posted by Yomie
How do the LTB's ride on the roads?

LOUD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:eek:

At low speeds you can feel each lug hit the ground, but it kinda blends together at speed. Tire whine is the predominate thing you hear. I drove it yesterday with the windows open, and couldn't even hear the engine when I stomped on it.

What are the "expected" miles you will get out of those tires? I might get some when I get my superlift :D

Cool, thanks for the write up link.....i ofund my next tire.

The 33x13.5 stands at 32.8" tall and has 11.3" of tread :D

Got it a little closer to being "done" today :D. Adjusted the angle of the Snorkle so that it sits level, sawzalled the fenders so the tires don't rub, and FIGURED OUT HOW TO MAKE THE FRONT AXLE DISCONNECT WORK MANUALLY!!!!!!!!!!:D :chug: The information on how to do that can be found in Manual Control over Vacuum Front Axle :D

Here's the way the snorkle sits now:

Attachments

• newsnorkel.jpg
    newsnorkel.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 6,064

Here are some shots of the cut fenders. The dark black is undercoating I put on to protect the metal.

Attachments

• trimright1.jpg
    trimright1.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 602

pix 2

Attachments

• trimright2.jpg
    trimright2.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 571

Pix 3

Attachments

• trimleft1.jpg
    trimleft1.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 577

Pix 4

Attachments

• trimright2.jpg
    trimright2.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 577

Looks AWESOME!! Wish ya lived near me(vice versa) so I could pay you to do the work :D

so JDRAPER.... you wanna do it again?

What, ya wanna e-mail me your truck from Florida? :D :p

I'd be willing to do it again, but it is a lot of work for one person to do as a side job. It's just a matter of finding the time to do it. The other big problem is that my 2 Mustangs now occupy the garage, and they WON'T sit outside for anything!!

Great writeup :thumbsup:

Looking at fitting the Superlift to mine if I can ever find anyone willing to ship to the UK :(

JDraper said:
What, ya wanna e-mail me your truck from Florida? :D :p

I'd be willing to do it again, but it is a lot of work for one person to do as a side job. It's just a matter of finding the time to do it. The other big problem is that my 2 Mustangs now occupy the garage, and they WON'T sit outside for anything!!

well, i'm actually from ohio, which isn't all that far. i will be back up there within the next few months, probably for good, so maybe we could figure something out. maybe not though if you don't have a garage to use anymore. i'm definately looking at doing IFS lift though. would you recommend pairing it up with SOA in the rear? or doing a suspension lift all the way around? todd.

Depends upon what you want to use the truck for. If it's mostly street, doing the suspension lift on the back will yield better road manners. If it's for heavy offroading, the SOA gets the springs and perches farther from the ground, but you get more axle wrap when accelerating/decelerating.

thanks for the tip!

Holy thread resurrection!

I saw this Explorer in Johnstown a few months ago. Couldn't miss the thing!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah her son is driving it now.. Unfortunately it probably hasn't seen any trails in 2-3 years.

Back