i want to put a few mods for now in to my explorer | Page 14 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

i want to put a few mods for now in to my explorer

Procharger installed, just need a tune and an intercooled setup to finish

Ill start off with saying that I have a 97 Eddie Bauer 5.0 with rear wheel drive.

And right now the main thing bugging me is the loss of power at 95mph (final shift point), and the 105 speed limiter.

I was wondering if a Shift Kit would fix this... And if not, what will?

I was also wondering which performance mods I should do, and in which order (for best money to power results)

My first thoughts were:
Shift Kit (if it will increase my top speed)
Ignition System (MSD or Nology, I dont know which is better)
Custom Pully
(Possibly NO2)
Stroker Kit

I'm new to fixing it up performance wise and am totally clueless, I have friends willing to help me on suggestions, but them having sports cars and me having an SUV are two different classes which have similarities to a point.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well I just found out a few days ago that my Explorer has an EV1 connector not an EV6...

You are correct. I do not know what lead me to believe that you had a model year X with EV1 injector connectors. Did you have your vehicle information up to date at that time? Maybe I was just retarded that day and thought you had a newer Explorer but that is usually not like me; I pay very close attention to detail. If you take a look in post #253 I caught it and said the right thing...hmmm...

If you picked those EV6 Cobra 39's up for a decent price I can take them off your hands to alleviate any problem you might have. I do not know why I would have told someone with a 97X that they have EV6 injector harness connectors but who knows. PM me and let me know if this will help you out. I already have some Cobra 39's sitting around for another project but I am sure I can always used another set for the future. Shoot me a PM and I will try to help you out.

There are the reverse connector adapters that you can get that will allow your EV1 harness to plug into your EV6 39's. It would likely still be more cost effective than if you bought EV1 42's to begin with. That is assuming you got a decent deal on the used 39's. A patient person should not have to pay a dime over $125 for used 39's. Most people will usually pay $100 if they are not in a hurry.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

I think I did pay about $125 shipped for them. Ill let you know, I know the 42lb EV1 injectors are quite a bit more than the 39lb EV6's I might just get the adapters if I could find them for a decent price.

Ive been doing nothing, no progress on the Ex, unless you count replacing leaky valve cover gaskets. Oh yeah I also bought the 70mm TB and EGR elbow from Performance Products.

Bracket.... Powerdyne closed, its now running under a different name. I filed with the BBB to get my money back along with calling my credit card company, but still havent gotten any money back as of yet. Ill just say the BBB works quick, after filing the complaint someone from the company called me the next day then that was when I called the credit card company because thats what the guy from the new Powerdyne told me to do.

I was talking to someone else on the forum about the Powerdyne bracket, and they said maybe this winter they would have their supercharger removed and have the bracket copied and hopefully I can get a copy and finally get the ball on the roll.

P.S. I bought an '02 M3
m3.jpg

That's a sharp car.:thumbsup:

+1...

If you don't have any luck just sell that Powerdyne blower and shoot me a PM about getting an STS Turbo. I seen that you were interested in getting a Universal kit a while back.... :thumbsup:

Well I was looking at adapters, and luckly I did an online search first.

I thought I needed an "EV1 to EV6" adapter, but I was wrong, I need an "EV6 to EV1" adapter.
Dont know why its worded that way probably because EV6 injector to EV1 harness... I thought it would of been EV1 harness to EV6 injector.

Well I was looking at adapters, and luckly I did an online search first.

I thought I needed an "EV1 to EV6" adapter, but I was wrong, I need an "EV6 to EV1" adapter.
Dont know why its worded that way probably because EV6 injector to EV1 harness... I thought it would of been EV1 harness to EV6 injector.

Hehehe. Yeah don't do that! I almost never order vehicle parts online. I always call and talk in person so that there is much less chance for confusion in my parts or theirs. It has saved me days worth of production and also probably shipping costs too.

I had a question, maybe someone can answer it, Would a 1" intake manifold spacer have hood clearance inssues?

I had a question, maybe someone can answer it, Would a 1" intake manifold spacer have hood clearance inssues?

Nope. Even then you are still well below the level of the hood.

Well now it looks like im just stuck tryign to figure out if the half inch spacer I have will make enough clearance for the valve cover cap to fit...

Well now it looks like im just stuck tryign to figure out if the half inch spacer I have will make enough clearance for the valve cover cap to fit...

Which side is your valve cover cap on and what exactly is contacting it?

left side, I think its right where the TB and intake join

*edit*
yeah heres the picture of when it was stock, the oil fill hole is now 3-4 incehs to the right putting it right below the TB and intake
DSCF1891.jpg

Little update...

I got the supercharger, and I'm having some brackets made just to have an extra set just in case.

If anyones interested in a set of brackets for a Powerdyne supercharger let me know. All together I think there are 10 pieces to the set (4 for the alternator relocation bracket and 6 for the supercharger). I am actually missing one piece which is a thin support piece for the alternator bracket which I will try to get made when I actually install the supercharger
From what I was told the complete supercharger kit from Powerdyne/O2 Force (if they decide to start producing the kit again) would cost $3000+ with the brackets costing $1800 or so alone.

I cant post in the For Sale section but I can have them made and will sell a set for a price, just PM or email me (saleen_sr71@yahoo.com) if your interested.

I can probably get the supercharger bracket modified to fit a Procharger supercharger but that would cost a little more and take a little more time being as that one bracket would have to be redesigned.

Well as most of you may know I have the Powerdyne supercharger kit and have been looking for the parts missing from my kit (fan spacer). And have been trying to get the secondary pulley I received to work... and gave up...

I found a fan spacer for a F-150 Roush supercharger kit and it looks exactly the same, but for $75 and special order (doubt I would be able to return it if it doesnt work) I decided not to risk it. Considered electric fans but it doesnt sound promising because the fan has to be less than 3" thick at the crank pulley.

I was working on the balancer to try to get the pulley to sit in it but without a lathe it was taking to long and balance is a key issue (plus I have a stroker and that stock balancer wouldnt work anyway).

SO

I decided to go with my Procharger P1SC-2 supercharger. The setup will run off the existing serpentine setup.

I am trying to make a bracket that will work, so far I made 2 rough templates and am really close to getting it, I just need to raise the supercharger a little more and it will be ready to be sent off and made.

After I get the Procharger installed and working I will sell the Powerdyne kit For exactly what I paid for it along with the bolts needed (bagged and labeled so the next owner will not be lost like I was) for as far as ive gotten with the Powerdyne install.

P.S. Adapting the Procharger is turning out to be less of a headache (and is actually going to make me happier) than the Powerdyne kit has turned out to be.

I most likely will not make extra brackets for the Procharger kit.

The final template is done. I just need to get it made out of metal/aluminum and it will be ready to go in. Heres a picture of how my custom bracket looks. The slot is for the tensioner pulley

0326092122.jpg

Picture with the tensioner in the highest position
0326092123.jpg

Ill post pictures of what it looks like in the car before sending the template off.

Heres a few updates that I seem to have missed posting.

Fist, the Procharger installed and running.
P1020254.jpg

P1020255.jpg

th_P1020256.jpg

and the money I spent that I shouldnt have and didnt need to.(all kits are actually complete despite the missing parts in the picture)
P1020241.jpg

Very good job.

Three lucky explorers are being called right now....

Im serriously hoping I can get them sold, I need the money to fix/finish a few things.

I know someone might be getting a hold of me because I saw a Powerdyne kit on ebay listed for $700 shipped missing the alternator relocation bracket.

Some detail to how I did it since some asked.

I had to use the powerdyne alternator relocation bracketry to relocate the alternator to begin with

I made a template based on the powerdyne bracket and procharger bracket and had a CNC shop make turn the template in to the final draft

I can actually provide the whole mounting kit (alternator relocation bracket and supercharger bracket with the needed accessories). Price would probably be around $1000.

The charger is actually touching my valve cover right now but would be close to (but not touching) if I turned the shell downward and went intercooled.

The bracket needs minor modification for the belt tensioner (hard to make the right tension without a breaker bar.

I also had to trim the upper radiator hose to make clearance for the supercharger pulley

The setup runs off the regular belt line.

I had to remove the winshield and coolant tanks, aftermarket ones are a must, i suggest getting one that will work based on the pictures of the clearance I had (i used a 20oz snapple bottle for now, dont think its big enough though because 20oz is about what there is up to the cold fill line)

Back