01 sport - 4.0 SOHC STS turbo charged (Project complete) | Page 8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

01 sport - 4.0 SOHC STS turbo charged (Project complete)

4.0 SOHC turbo charger project

Guys - I'm done....well, almost (you know how that goes)

I've drove the truck around today very safely and all I can say is wow...I love this and I'm very glad I did it. I'll have to say I went thru a lot to get this far and lost a few buddies along the way. :(

I'm gonna try like heck to get you guys some videos soon but right now I need to chill cuss my wife is pissed. I've been working on this truck when I should be working on the house, but oh well. blah blah blah.

I've got the boost at around 5 LBS and that's where it's gonna stay until I can get the MAF, injectors, and fuel pump in. Oh yeah, I'm running the 73MM C&L housing and stock injectors and pump. Anyways, I'll be changing those out and tuning the thing out pretty soon - I can then take her to the track and see what happens.....

This is what I've been wanting for two years now so I'm a little excited that it's here now. Not trying to make a drama thread here but I'm happy to join James in the STS 4.0 SOHC circle. Now let me see if I can out run him? :p:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hmmm - Level 10 says bullet proof. I wonder if I can get that in a signed contract?

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Contact Glacier and see if he has an opinion about what is available for the 5R. I don't think much has changed in the last couple of years. If you are going to push much past that 350-400hp mark, I would be considering what rocket did. I also don't know what chance of mating a 4R to your SOHC is. It's a tough dilemma.

Contact Glacier and see if he has an opinion about what is available for the 5R. I don't think much has changed in the last couple of years. If you are going to push much past that 350-400hp mark, I would be considering what rocket did. I also don't know what chance of mating a 4R to your SOHC is. It's a tough dilemma.

Yes, I've been talking to Glacier. He says to have another 5R55E on the shelf ready to go. ;)

That is a thought I would agree with, I was going to do that when I started my SOHC mail truck. The trans does just fine in most uses if the VB is gone through and all updated parts are used. The higher power levels do take you into a new world. The shift point is the weakest link, can you do anything to adjust the boost just before a shift?

Yes, and actually there is a "torque reduction" setting in the PCM that takes place on every shift that is adjustable. I've actually went the other way with this but I'll go back to stock soon.

TorqueReductionOnshifts.JPG

Question - What is the weakest gear when shifting? Second weakest?

In the stock tune, there is no trans reduction until the 3-4 shift. I'm going to reduce the torque on the 1-2 shift and the 2-3 shift.

Good idea CDW - you got me to thinking.

Chris would know the gearing well, the weakest will be any with a band engaging versus clutches.

What does that torque reduction do, pull timing, fuel?

I think it's a combination of fuel and spark pulled at each shift. The torque calculation in the tune is based on the air / fuel or lambda but it's unclear to me how this actually works. maybe James or Robert will explain this.

Hmmm - Level 10 says bullet proof. I wonder if I can get that in a signed contract?
Get it in writing! I have already been down this road and they supply parts for your common trannies. The 5R55S,4R70,AOD/E,etc. They may offer a bigger or stronger band but I don't believe you will see much more than that. Physically the 5R55E should be able to handle 350ish or your 10# of boost. Just take care of it like I mentioned.
Yes, and actually there is a "torque reduction" setting in the PCM that takes place on every shift that is adjustable. I've actually went the other way with this but I'll go back to stock soon.

View attachment 50319
This is a spark reduction primarily. If you have dbw, you would have seen a throttle position closing slightly. I don't recommend the values you have set into the screenshot. Not good!

Question - What is the weakest gear when shifting? Second weakest?

In the stock tune, there is no trans reduction until the 3-4 shift. I'm going to reduce the torque on the 1-2 shift and the 2-3 shift.

Good idea CDW - you got me to thinking.
Jake I would get me a ATSG manual and do some studying on what happens with the shift into a particular gear. For instance the 5r55s is 1-2 (band apply),2-3 (band apply-band release),3-4(band release clutch engagement),4-5 band apply. Now with that being said in real laymans terms ( you need to know what band is being applied and what band is released. When the application occurs what is happening. Such as which part is being overdriven. Actually to answer your question the way you asked it 5 gear shift is the weakest.

I think it's a combination of fuel and spark pulled at each shift. The torque calculation in the tune is based on the air / fuel or lambda but it's unclear to me how this actually works. maybe James or Robert will explain this.
^^^^I think I got a little ahead of myself. Answered above. I believe I read somewhere in the post about swapping in a 4r70. I don't believe it will work. The 4r70 was never made with the small bell housing the 4.oL has. The 3.8L uses the larger bolt pattern as the 5.o and on. The 5R55S actually has two different bolt patterns small and large. I wouldn't make a problem until it happens. I believe it will live up to 10# or even 12# of boost. Treat it right by servicing it as I previously mentioned and it will take care of you. Ironic how history repeats itself, I have already been here. Best of luck to you. :thumbsup:

2) building the v6 (I can probably get around 280 N/A out of the 4.3) adding a turbo to it, and converting to AWD. Either way, should be fun.

you have no idea how long i've wanted to do this to a first generation S-10... funny you should post it... great minds think alike!

Also, when I was having my running boards put on yesterday, I was flipping through Motor Trends and saw a picture, I thought of your Explorer. It's from a Saab ad, but I thought it'd be cool to add to your Explorer.

Look and see, sorry for the quality, camera phone at last second before I left:

29ny1r4.jpg

also, that's snow around the badge, the shot was taken when they were testing the car out in a snowy/ice field for some reason.

Jakee,
Great thread! I have been following your build from your N/A thread as well. Can't wait for some more video of the tire smoking turbo action! I would love to go turbo on my X as well, I do have a tranny question for you and James though. How well do you think a manual transmission would hold up to the power of the turbo?

Hey Josh, I like that turbo X logo! Good find - I may incorporate this into my scheme someday.

NC - I've heard the manuals will hold up better than the auto's, and I've thought about this swap as well. I believe I have my mind set on staying with the 5r55e and just monitoring it and not beating on it for too long before servicing. I'll be checking the fluid all the time.

Hey James - I've actually reduced the numbers you see in that screen shot the other way. I ran the higher setting two runs just to see what it did.

Honestly, the only problem I've had out of the tranny was hitting the rev limiter going into second after the turbo install. I really don't think this is a major problem because the stock settings are not intended for the HP I'm running and it just took a little adjusting to get it shifting well and not hitting the rev limiter. I have no problems with the tranny and I haven't had a problem with the truck since the last problem post I posted in this thread. My intentions are to let you guys know the problems so you don't have to go thru the same thing I went thru.

And I forgot - About the S10. I did some research and the truck weighs around 2800 LBS! this is a light SUV so making it go fast is going to be easier.

Sweet deal!

The craziest idea I ever had was this... using the engine, transmission, and somehow an AWD system, and put it into the S-10. American Body, Japanese Engine. It'd be one of the ultimate customizations, and it's probably really complicated if not impossible, but I always thought it'd be cool to do... lol

My next project is either an S-10 (I have to find an ext. cab though), or a 4x4 Explorer

Sweet deal!

The craziest idea I ever had was this... using the engine, transmission, and somehow an AWD system, and put it into the S-10. American Body, Japanese Engine. It'd be one of the ultimate customizations, and it's probably really complicated if not impossible, but I always thought it'd be cool to do... lol

My next project is either an S-10 (I have to find an ext. cab though), or a 4x4 Explorer

Stick an Explorer 302/4R70w/AWD in the S-10, that would be cool too.

Yes, I agree with this combo. Do all that and add a turbo. I'm sure that thing would scream down the quarter mile. I think if Justin can get 0-60 in 5 seconds with a 4500 LB truck then imagine what it would do in a 2800 LB truck?

How about a 6.0L LS swap with a full size truck drivetrain (AWD option) in the S10 or Blazer. Sorry I am a LSx believer! :p: As much as I hate to admit it the LSx would kill the little 5.0L. Cubic inches rule!

Yes, I agree with this combo. Do all that and add a turbo. I'm sure that thing would scream down the quarter mile. I think if Justin can get 0-60 in 5 seconds with a 4500 LB truck then imagine what it would do in a 2800 LB truck?

I tuned a Silverado with a 6.0L conversion stock engine. Mods were turbo,meth,headers (obviously the support hardware is in tact)-that is it. We put down 565hp and 708#.ft. torque. Nasty little combo, in a full size reg cab truck he should run 7.0's-7.1x's in the 1/8th. With the 5.3L he ran 7.60's with 35 hp and 150lb.ft. torque less. It will be interesting.

Good numbers James. That sounds like a sick combo.

I went ahead and picked up a 350 4 bolt main for next to nothing. I've rebuilt these engines in the past so I know them well. I've got some good rods and I'm looking at the compression ratio I should run for turbo'ing this. I would like to stay with the TB injection but I may end up with a carb and a hat to blow thru. It's still up in the air but I've decided to scrap the AWD and just go for a 2wheel with slicks. I can do all the suspension mods needed to hook with this truck and not worry about the ride too much cuss it will be track only.

The goal is to get in the 10’s with this vehicle – should be that hard.

Now for the explorer, I would like 12's and I'm pretty sure I'm close. After messing with the tune, mainly the tranny part of it, I'm now finishing the quarter at around 110 plus. (this is with that aggressive tune I showed you) This is all "un-proven" but it's a good jump from when I was N/A and finishing the quarter (Same testing grounds) at around 90 MPH.

How about a 6.0L LS swap with a full size truck drivetrain (AWD option) in the S10 or Blazer. Sorry I am a LSx believer! :p: As much as I hate to admit it the LSx would kill the little 5.0L. Cubic inches rule!

I tuned a Silverado with a 6.0L conversion stock engine. Mods were turbo,meth,headers (obviously the support hardware is in tact)-that is it. We put down 565hp and 708#.ft. torque. Nasty little combo, in a full size reg cab truck he should run 7.0's-7.1x's in the 1/8th. With the 5.3L he ran 7.60's with 35 hp and 150lb.ft. torque less. It will be interesting.

I gotta agree with ya. I like them LSx 6.0 liters too. We will see what I am able to get out of the one I am picking up. Muawuawuawawa!!! :burnout: ;)

Back