1/4 mile tips | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1/4 mile tips

I am taking my Explorer to the track on friday and I was wondering if there were any last minute things I could do to help my time/performance out a little bit. Fortunately, my friend is going who drives an old Caprice Classic (V8) so I wont be completely humiliated. I mainly want to get an idea of where I stand before I supercharge and get an Xcalibrator (Bama Chips).
Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

RiseAgainst said:
Fortunately, my friend is going who drives an old Caprice Classic (V8) so I wont be completely humiliated.
I bet he does humiliate you. ;)

No, he wont humiliate me. His car is really old and is in poor condition. It's the 305 with I believe 170 hp. This car has to be really heavy too.

Wear only underwear and vacuum it before you go. Every little bit counts.

Get your ass on the treadmill. Gotta reduce as much weight as possible! :D

Hell, take out all of the seats except the driver's seat. It doesn't take long.
Pull out the glovebox
Empty your washer fluid resevoir
Run on a nearly empty tank of gas
Don't forget the parts associated with the spare tire - wrench, jack, etc.
Make sure your tire pressure is correct
If you drive your car a long way to get there/it is hot outside, ice down your intake before your run
Take off any skidplates
Leave your A/C off, windows up
Remove nerf bars/fog lights/roof rack if you have them
Unscrew your antenna (is that possible?), leave your mirrors folded in (not sure how much of an effect this would have)
Remove as much interior paneling as possible - pillars, door panels, etc.
Take out the floor mats
Wear as little clothing as possible, be sure to use the restroom before your run (empty your bladder/colon).

That's all I can think of for now. Hey, every little bit helps! :D

Haha. Fortunately, I only weigh 135. (I'm only 17). Anyway, the spare and the seats are out already. I will try some of the other things. Interested to see what I can run.

hmmm get a sportbike?

Ya i should, especially since on Saturday there is some huge Bike thing going on, so i should see many bikes.

techieman33 said:
I can just about guarentee you'll run better than the 18.0 at 78mph that I ran last night.

What kind of mods have you done? V6?

Take the air pressure up in the front tires to the maximum on the sidewall.

Don't try to be a hero, let the trans shift itself.

post up what you run, i am curious how you will do with those mods...

I see you are in Houston, too. Do you have the XP8? If you do I really wanna see it.

yup, i have the XP8...come out to Target at Fairmont and Beltway on Saturday night, i will be out there for sure...just got my new Saleen windshield banner in the mail, have to go put it on...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yup, i am going to put a big one on the back window...hehe

Back