120v Outlet and Inverter Installation | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

120v Outlet and Inverter Installation

MountaineerGreen

Towing Moderator
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
North East Arkansas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 F150 4x4
I have wanted a power outlet to charge my laptop, digital camera, cell phones, etc. for some time now. I didn't want a bulky device sitting somewhere, so I decided to do a hide away inverter setup with a plug in on the side of my console.

To start-

power_inverter_001_Medium_.jpg

power_inverter_002_Medium_.jpg

power_inverter_003_Medium_.jpg

power_inverter_006_Medium_.jpg

Removed the Console-

power_inverter_004_Medium_.jpg

power_inverter_005_Medium_.jpg

Dissembled the Inverter-

power_inverter_007_Medium_.jpg

I snipped the wires that go to the plug and switch on the end, removed the switches. I used the end plate as a template to draw the lines on the side of the console where I wanted the outlet.

power_inverter_009_Medium_.jpg

power_inverter_010_Medium_.jpg

Cut out the hole very carefully and a little at a time, test fitting the snap in outlet-

power_inverter_011_Medium_.jpg

power_inverter_012_Medium_.jpg

I filled the edges of the hole to make the plug fit exactly-

power_inverter_013_Medium_.jpg

I wired the plug to the inverter and reassembled it, running the extension wires through the hole in the plate where the plug was. Then I tucked the inverter in the console. A fused source from the battery was used with a 10 gauge wire.

power_inverter_015_Medium_.jpg

I had a heavy duty switch mounted in my center console from a previous project that was no longer being used. It lights when the inverter is on-

power_inverter_017_Medium_.jpg

Thats all folks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

only problem I see is that you completely lost you heatsink. I'd add something else to it (like a CPU heatsink/fan) or you might overheat the voltage regulators.

only problem I see is that you completely lost you heatsink. I'd add something else to it (like a CPU heatsink/fan) or you might overheat the voltage regulators.

The heat sink is in the console, I put the inverter back together before I put it in. If it gets hot, I will use longer wires and mount the inverter somewhere else.

The heat sink is in the console, I put the inverter back together before I put it in. If it gets hot, I will use longer wires and mount the inverter somewhere else.

sweet.

Nice. I wanted to do the same thing you did, but I couldn't make the space in my center console and have plans to (some day...) put a carputer there, so I went with a rear quarter panel install.

The outlet is a snap in type thing, you press the sides and push and it comes out.

EDIT: much like the automotive flush mount style switches

The inverter is jammed in under the pockets on the console, not mounted at all.

Wow, I like how that looks in your console...I'll have to do that with mine, thanks for the idea! :)

Wow, I like how that looks in your console...I'll have to do that with mine, thanks for the idea! :)

Thanks and no problem, just remember when cutting the hole in the console to cut carefully and slowly to make the hole just barely big enough for the plug. If you cut it too big, you can't go back.

re:

sharp install. way better than mine. i have mine velcro'd to the side of the console. I may try this. thx for the idea !

thats a great mod i've seen it on wranglers and xj's now explorers... and I think thats why its kooler:D :thumbsup:

Hopefully this is far enough down not to detract from the original post. For the benefit of anyone looking to install an inverter who can't make space in the console, here are a few pics.

6ga runs from battery, through firewall to fuse block behind passenger kick panel, then to the back.
(lost photos)

Inverter mounts on rubber straps (vibration iso) with two screws to existing body holes. Thick black cable is ground bolted to the body.

Had to extend some short wiring to use existing outlets.

Hole cut, screw holes drilled.

Done.

very cool nice mod.

Very well done. Thank-you for the ideas.

Hopefully this is far enough down not to detract from the original post. For the benefit of anyone looking to install an inverter who can't make space in the console, here are a few pics.

Feel free to post, ideas are welcome. I may put a bigger inverter like yours in my back area later down the line after a bigger alternator and a deep cycle battery.

Your install looks nice, I like how you mounted the whole panel from the end of the inverter.

What about mounting an outlet down off the back bumper? I've been playing with the idea of re-using the license plate lights' holes for a 120V (AC) and 12V (DC), one on each side.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

be careful when you put external power outlets. Make sure they are weatherproof sockets (ones that have covers with rubber seals). I wouldn't put outlet on the outside of the car.. Would rather put it in the rear trunk area. Also, I would recommend putting a seperate ON/OFF switch for the outside outlets..

-Tim

Back