12v auxillary outlets switched/always hot (2011-2015 MY) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

12v auxillary outlets switched/always hot (2011-2015 MY)

Vchat20

Reaction score
City, State
Columbus, Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Explorer Base
Thought I'd just throw this out as an FYI. I tried searching the forum but there was no conclusive information on this front as to whether the 12v power sockets are switched or not.

Having reviewed the copy of the workshop manual I have for 2014 Explorer's, I can confirm all 4 outlets are not switched. They are 'hot at all times' and fused at the battery junction box/fuse box in the engine compartment. All four are individually fused at 20A each. I still need to dig deeper but as best I can tell this also bypasses any sort of battery saver function too, just as an FYI. I can post screenshots later of my findings.

This applies to the 2011-2015 model years. 2016 model years and forward had significant underlying changes to the electrical architecture and they finally made the outlets switched.

EDIT: Added wiring diagram image.

een044003.png

I don't know if you've read the following thread or not but seems there are various answers to the thread title; Power Outlets - Are they Switched?
On some Explorers, the power points appear to stay ON while on others they definitely turn OFF. Some turn OFF immediately, others after a certain time period. It seems there is no one answer fits all.

Peter

The referenced thread contains numerous examples of incorrect information, particularly for the earlier models.

Per factory EVTM diagrams:

2011 - 2015 - All power points are ALWAYS HOT.
2016 - 2020 - All power points are switched (in the BJB) by programmed logic (in the BCM).

For models equipped with the optional AC inverter, those are controlled by the BCM's programming.

I do not have service info for models newer than 2020.

The referenced thread contains numerous examples of incorrect information, particularly for the earlier models.

Per factory EVTM diagrams:

2011 - 2015 - All power points are ALWAYS HOT.
2016 - 2020 - All power points are switched (in the BJB) by programmed logic (in the BCM).

For models equipped with the optional AC inverter, those are controlled by the BCM's programming.

I do not have service info for models newer that 2020.
You are correct. It's my mistake on the 5th gen note above. I forgot it covered all the way up to 2019 models. The key here is the major electrical and module changes they made in the 2016 model year.

I mostly posted this because I was also confused by a lot of those threads and the misinformation or just simply lack thereof. It was much easier for me to simply go through the wiring diagrams to figure it out 'from the horses mouth' so to speak.

I'll update my original post to be more clearer in case others come across this.

Back