• Register Today It's free!

1996 explorer 5" lift and 33's

awry

Reaction score
City, State
reno
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XLT
i have searched and ive found good information, but im looking for a solid yes or no type answer

Will i be able to fit 33x12" bfg km2s on a 15 inch rim, with 2" Shackle/tt and a 3" BL

with how much trimming, and would spacers help me out?

Would that be too much of a hassle to constantly be rubbing or would it be able to work..

my situation on 15 inch rims, Which size tire wold best work with some minor trimming

32x11.50R15/C
33x10.50R15/C
33x12.50R15/C
35x12.50R15/C

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yes 33x12.5 will fit with no rubbing if you remove the "tupperware" on the sides and the front valnce below the front bumper with 4.00 backspaced wheels.

yes 33x12.5 will fit with no rubbing if you remove the "tupperware" on the sides and the front valnce below the front bumper with 4.00 backspaced wheels.

meaning all the metal crap on the insids of the body of the car?

right now i think stock is 28-30" tires and it rubbs on the top metal thing when fully flexed out on the inside of the wheel well if i cut that out and space it i should be good right?

Yes, I am running 33x12.50x15 with 2" body lift and tt, did require some trimming--didnt remove any of the "tupperware" at all. Would like to remove the front valance but havent found a decent looking solution to front fog lights.

Yes, I am running 33x12.50x15 with 2" body lift and tt, did require some trimming--didnt remove any of the "tupperware" at all. Would like to remove the front valance but havent found a decent looking solution to front fog lights.

the front valence is the plastic under the engine that houses the fog lights right?

i have no problem removing that and installing 4 hellas or something to the front

meaning all the metal crap on the insids of the body of the car?

right now i think stock is 28-30" tires and it rubbs on the top metal thing when fully flexed out on the inside of the wheel well if i cut that out and space it i should be good right?

No the running boards on the bottom of the rocker panels and the plastice peice below the bumper with the fog lights.

You should not be rubbing at all with stock tires. Has it been wrecked previously or something?

No the running boards on the bottom of the rocker panels and the plastice peice below the bumper with the fog lights.

You should not be rubbing at all with stock tires. Has it been wrecked previously or something?

not stock tires

my running are off already, and rubbing what i mean is very slight rubbing not when im turning or anything but when my back solid axle is flexed out to the max i can see where the tire kinda rubs on the metal wheel well like a few lines where it hit and took the paint off

but with the 3" lift and some trimming of those metal wheel well things it will be fine

Here is my set up:
3" body lift.
TT almost maxed out.
Set of custom lift springs in the rear. ( I had warn 153 shackles before, still worked)
33"x12.5" BFG KM2 on 15"x8" American Racing rock crawlers

No Rubbing *AFTER I trimmed the fenders and removed the front valence*

picture.php

With new Rock Sliders
attachment.php

Here is my set up:
3" body lift.
TT almost maxed out.
Set of custom lift springs in the rear. ( I had warn 153 shackles before, still worked)
33"x12.5" BFG KM2 on 15"x8" American Racing rock crawlers

No Rubbing *AFTER I trimmed the fenders and removed the front valence*

picture.php

With new Rock Sliders
attachment.php

you are exactly what i am looking for. thankyou very very much!

:D:D:D

not stock tires

my running are off already, and rubbing what i mean is very slight rubbing not when im turning or anything but when my back solid axle is flexed out to the max i can see where the tire kinda rubs on the metal wheel well like a few lines where it hit and took the paint off

but with the 3" lift and some trimming of those metal wheel well things it will be fine

Stock SIZED tires should not rub at all

I think I understand what you mean. When your tire is stuffed in your wheel well, from flexing your axle. The tire is rubbing on the inside rear fender wall, leaving scuff marks, correct?

Thats what I got from his comment. He also said he has stock sized tires. Stock sized tires should not rub at all even while flexed.

Actually you'd be suprised.. When my old rig was on stock tires I used one of those warehouse ramps to flex the rear and it definately made contact with the inner wheel well tub.. It barely touched but that was close enough.

I think I understand what you mean. When your tire is stuffed in your wheel well, from flexing your axle. The tire is rubbing on the inside rear fender wall, leaving scuff marks, correct?

yea that is what it is, scuff marks when fully compressed

ill get a pic later when im flexed

they might be 1 size bigger but are wild country all terrains im guessing around 29-30

but im not sure, the car has never wrecked at all

i mean also if i just cut out that metal piece i should be fine also..

and it could be from when i disco the sway bar and no lift,

gmpaint,
Great looking Truck!! I am still looking for options for foglights and remove my valance. The way I trimmed the valance it doesnt rub but the stance looks higher with it off.

gmpaint,
Great looking Truck!! I am still looking for options for foglights and remove my valance. The way I trimmed the valance it doesnt rub but the stance looks higher with it off.

Sorry if I am hijacking.
Thanks GRNMACHINE!

I bought a new valence, went to put it on, and changed my mind. My tow hooks are so big, and right in the way, so I am going to sell it. I cant take it back cause I painted it already :(

Now my driving lights mounted under the bumper are duel purpose. When I go wheeling at night, I just turn them straight down. I have another set underneath in the back, pointing down. Really helps out.

so you really should take off the front valence to fit 33's nice and look better?

or would it look better also to have it there with some trimming

so you really should take off the front valence to fit 33's nice and look better?

or would it look better also to have it there with some trimming

Every Ex is different. It might work just fine for you, or you might have to do some trimming. Its really up to you. I had clearence issues in the back of the fenders, and trimmed them with a saw-zall! I had to cut off an inch of sheet metal, and cut on my rocker trim as well. Then there is the patching of the hole that was created from removing some of the inner fender well. My Valence would have needed a little trimming, but not much.

Few different factors include:

Amount of lift--body or suspension or both

Size of tire-- height & width

Size of wheels--height, width & backspacing

Style of Tupperware (valence, trim)

If you stayed with stock wheels, went with 10.5 or 11.5" tires you could get a 33" tire with out much, if any trimming to your rig.

Hope this helps.....:salute:

Valance on or off has alot to do with preference as well. If it is removed the front of the truck looks even higher. You can make it fit with trimming. Mine is very minimal and noone even notices unless I point it out. Maybe gman can put up a pic of his front end without it. You can click the link in my signature and see how mine looks as well.

Re: tires, I think 33x10.50x15 look incredibly skinny on an Explorer with 5" of lift. You should be fine with 33x12.50x15 on 15x8 wheels with the right offset. I also had to trim some inner fender behind the tupperware but it would have been mininal with a 3" lift. I would switch to a 3" bodylift but I have way too many hours in making the bumpers line up.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

True, it does give the "appearance" of being higher without the valence. If your doing any serious off roading, it will give you some more clearance on approach angles as well.

I know of a couple Mods that only run 33"x11.5" tires on stock wheels, cause they didn't want to trim. They do fine wheeling in Moab, Ouray, etc.. with that set up.

Here is my front end with out the valence. Notice my bumper is tweaked from hitting things..lol!

picture.php

Back